back to article Serial Web2.0 investor pumps Twitter valuation to $8bn

Twitter closed a "significant round of funding" yesterday, with lots of help from the Russian venture outfit that has already pumped large sums of cash into Facebook, Groupon et al. The micro-blogging site said that serial Web2.0 investor Digital Sky Technologies Global (DST Global) led the Twitter funding round, but didn't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DavCrav

Generating tweets

"Twitter, which has more than doubled its employee headcount to 600 people in the past 12 months, said it was now generating over 200 million tweets per day on the service."

And generating how much money?

1. Bilgepipe
      Thumb Down

How much money?

Apparently it doesn't /need/ to generate any money - the people behind it just grab a chunk of that "investment" for themselves:

>>> Half of that money is understood to have been dished out to staff and shareholders at the privately-held company.

So they'll all be quids-in even if Twitter tanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

paid to shareholders

I'l bet Bernie Madoff wishes he'd though of that model, instead.

2. CaptainHook
    Trollface

$57M per Character

That $57M per character valution is simply a reflection on the superior writing skills of twitter contributors compared to professional writers, authors and reporters.

3. fLaMePrOoF
    FAIL

Hmmm....

"We will use these resources to aggressively innovate, hire more great people and invest in international expansion"

Wouldn't establishing any kind of ealistic revenue stream for the company be more useful?

4. Far Canal
    Holmes

Maybe I'm old but ...

I created a twitter account once just to see what it was about and it amounted to (in my opinion at least) nothing more than the verbal diarrhea that I try to avoid in real life. Other than inserting advertising into the streams, how do they expect to make money? Then again, why as why - no point hurting my brain thinking about it unnecessarily.

5. Richard Jukes

heh

And we thought Facebook was bad eh?

6. Dr Who
    Happy

Is Twitter the new religion?

In a secular age, Twitter may well become the opium of the masses. A source of meaning and third hand opinion for the vast majority who are unable to formulate their own. A crowd sourced priesthood.

Once you control what they think, making money's a piece of piss.

7. Aggellos
    Stop

not for profit should be a charity

can anybody sense another bubble is about to burst 26bn for Alibabas IPO and now this, how much does twitter loose per month now .

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like