back to article Button brushes off 'car accident' website defacement to claim GP win

F1 Driver Jenson Button brushed off an attack on his website late on Saturday night that falsely claimed he had been seriously injured in a car crash, and went on to win the Hungarian Grand Prix on Sunday. Button, starting at third place on the grid, once again showed his skill in wet conditions and the tactical nous of his …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M Gale

Whole goddamn site written in Flash?

For fuxache, why? I think any hacking attempt would be an improvement!

1. The First Dave
      Boffin

untitled

And the "server string" as shown by Netcraft shows FrontPage server extensions and also PHP installed - pointing the finger at Apache itself seems a bit unlikely to me...

1. Drew 11

yep

I blame frontpage extensions.

2. Rob Haswell

Please don't headline GP spoilers

El reg, I often watch GPs the day after due to weekend commitments and I do a pretty good job of avoiding the result. However The Register is not on my list of sites to avoid and I don't really want to add it. I would appreciate it if you don't post GP results on your front page. Thanks!

1. Captain Scarlet
      Trollface

what about

Commenting on them?

I can't believe Alonso finished 3rd after how many spins he had!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Alien

@Captain Scarlet

>I can't believe Alonso finished 3rd after how many spins he had

Spaniards are used to losing control of their cars, it's part of everyday life here so I suppose he just took them in his stride.

2. Nick Thompson
      FAIL

Indeed

I came into work early this morning to watch the GP so I could avoid spoilers. It was only through extreme paranoia that I didn't automatically visit el reg. Now in this case that would have been before this article was posted, but it could easily have been after and that would have spoilt an amazing race.

Please keep sporting results off the front page of an IT related site in future.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Betting

Seems a pretty pointless thing to do, unless of course the miscreant was trying to affect the bookies' odds.

1. JimC

> pretty pointless

unless of course you're a sad kiddy wih no friends sitting in your bedroom...

1. Captain Scarlet

Could have been

A possible phising tactic, news from an official site they may have hoped news agencies picked up on it and reported it there by a mass email would more likely be clicked on.

4. ALFnl
    Joke

I bet it was this one...

An oldie but goodie: http://twitpic.com/2rvi8m

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Button in serious F1 Accident.

Bah you beat me to it.

5. Guido Esperanto
    Facepalm

/title

Cue the bombarding of his Jensons mobile phone

"Been in a car accident, then text back to 12345 and we can get you a minimum £3750 compensation"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nope

Those come from insurance companies selling your contact details to injury claims lawyers. Pretty silly if your policy comes with legal and personal injury cover, but it's a silly industry.

6. Bassey

Not quite true

"once again showed...the tactical nous of his McLaren pit crew"

Erm, didn't Jenson state in the post-race interview that his team actually called him into the Pits to Queue behind Lewis and get intermediate tyres when it started raining? It was Jenson's "tactical nous" that made him decide to discretely ignore the team instructions, sail past the pits, into the lead and win the race.

1. Rob Haswell

Nope

Button was called into the pits but elected to stay out as he thought the track conditions were improving.

7. Drew 11
    WTF?

But but but

Did he get into trouble for not replacing his steering wheel after he climbed out of the car at the finish?

8. nyelvmark
    IT Angle

IT angle?

Formula One is all about engineering, and these days that means IT. The massively over-paid prima donnas who drive the cars, however, should be of only peripheral interest to those of us who understand the difference between engineering and hype.

OK, it was a web hack. So sue me.

9. DanceMan
    Unhappy

Another request to keep spoilers off the headlines

Thanks.

This topic is closed for new posts.