back to article Microsoft pushes Windows Phone Mango out to Japan

The next version of Windows Phone, codenamed Mango, is with device manufacturers and looks like it will hit Japanese shelves in September, with the rest of the world having to wait a little longer. Version 7.5 of Windows Phone is being touted as a proper version 1, a grown-up version that finally brings multi-tasking to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SteveBalmer
    FAIL

Wow multitasking...

Welcome to 2009...

Does anyone really care about Windows Phone 7?

(Microsoft paid shills excluded)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I do

And I'm not paid.

If you have ever used a Windows Phone 7 device (and I have, I chose it because I found it personally the most pleasing device out of those I tested) you'd know that actually A.) it's pretty good especially given it's come from Microsoft and B.) Lack of Multitasking in third party apps has been at very worst minorly annoying but for 99% of the time not an issue although that is based on my usage patterns.

This doesn't take anything away from iOS or Android and those who use those devices, that's your own choice and I am mature enough to not sling crap at them because I also recognise they're great devices and if you get on with them, great, personally I just preferred WP7.

I suppose nobody on the Internet knows your a dog, or a 15 year old on the first week of their summer holiday....

1. JC_
        Mushroom

@SteveBalmer, Troll

He's either suffering from an extreme case of confirmation bias, or is simply a repetitive troll. Certainly it's impossible to reason with someone like that.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

I do too

I've had an HTC HD7 since Christmas 2010 and whilst I wish the paint wasn't chipping off the device, I'm delighted with the OS.

I was looking forward to copy & paste with the NoDo update a couple of months ago, but since then, I think I've used the functionality twice.

I know a lot of people aren't impressed with WP7, but I've found that people quickly change their mind after using it and accepting that it's not another iOS/Android platform.

WP7 is a great OS and I hope it continues to evolve.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@ac 1049

I think you hit the nail on the head, i was/am a heavy WM user, simply because there isnt an OS out there that is as functional as it, if it wasnt for the OEMs and Networks screwing WM we would probably be a lot further on, but anyway, you are correct, you need to use the thing for quiet a while. After using WP for a couple of weeks i really wasnt liking it, but then it hit me one day, WP is not WM, its not ment to be, and as soon as i realise that ive not put it down, i have WM backup device because it is a beast of an OS and i need it for some programs but WP is now my main device

I suppose i grew out of the whole mod the crap out of it thing, i dont need to change this or that, simply because it works the way i is, and is very slick

Personally i think people need to use this for at least a good month or actually work out what they want before hand.

If you keep comparing it to Droid iOS WM it will always come up short on the modability scale but thats just it, you dont need it to do that.

an as for the copy paste comment above, i totally agree, waiting for that for months then when i finally get it i dont use it!

think people need to cut MS some slack and actually use the thing, most of the negative comments are just FUD from android fanboys

3. big_D Silver badge
        Meh

Multitasking...

The implementation of multi-tasking on the iPhone ruined the performance, battery life and user experience. It is one of the things I find refreshing on the WP7 platform. I hope they make less of a pigs ear of it than Apple did.

And yes, I do use an iPhone. I have a 3GS for work and an htc Mozart for private use. I also had a Desire for a while. I keep thinking of getting Android handset, but I'll stick with my Mozart for now. I certainly use it more than my iPhone. And unless the iPhone 5 brings something revolutionary, I won't be upgrading the 3GS... I'll be looking at either a Mango or an Android handset, I'll see what they offer, when the time comes.

4. dogged
        Trollface

@Vicky Lamburn

"And I'm not paid"

In "SteveBalmer"'s world, anyone who finds anything not to despise about a Microsoft product is paid by Microsoft.

Then again, he's a colossal dick.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How's the battery life?

Not a troll, I am genuinely interested.

Dweeb

1. dogged

It's okay.

My HD7 gets 2 days if I don't use wifi, which to be honest, I rarely need to. 2 days is right up to the edge, though. My hopes are pinned on Nokia for a phone with a decent battery life.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Angel

WP7 looks interesting

I'm currently an Android user and I'm waiting to see what Nokia bring out on WP7, if they look any way decent I'll jump ship immediately.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not bad

For a smartphone these days, pretty good. I get about 3 days out of a charge if the phone is just used as a phone and text messaging device, easily 2 days if I use it a lot and the internet a fair amount (e.g. around an hour in total on wifi -- on off through the day, and about 20 mins on the phone in those 2 days + 30 odd text messages, maybe a couple of pictures with the xenon flash)

So on the whole not bad. Bearing in mind that the Mozart has a smaller battery (1350mAh?) and higher capacity battery devices are available (although their bigger screens might offset this gain), another plus point is the battery can be swapped out easily so you could carry a spare if you so chose.

I still keep a Nokia 1800 in the glovebox mind, that thing will last 3 weeks on 1 charge, I look forward to the day where I can get 5 days out of a smartphone.

2. GatesFanbois
      Stop

Predictable

yeah I do and despite my username i'm not actually a ms shill. I don't really care about my phone platform but I got a new phone for the first time in about 5 years last month. I had expected to end up with an android phone but ended up getting an Omnia 7 as the screen is gorgeous, the OS looks a lot better in real life than it does on screen shots, and is quite a pleasant experience to use, Also the phone was cheap for what seems a decent spec.

Theres nothing ground breaking about wp7 but it is very usable and overall a good experience without having to pay the sort of money you do for an iphone or higher spec android phone. The UI also looks different to other phones out there and remains very usable which is nice.

It's also worth mentioning that Zune is great. Unlimited music downloads + 10 free mp3 downloads a month for £8.99 is a good deal in my book.

So ignore wp7 if you want to but all in all it's a perfectly good alternative to android and the iphone.

1. Shaun 1

RE: Zune Pass

Do you get 10 free downloads in the UK now? I thought that was US only

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes...

It looks like I agree with everyone else - I never thought I'd buy an MS phone, but when I looked at it against Apple and Google phones, it just stood out (particularly the UI).

The multitasking isn't really an issue, there is already multitasking, just not for 3rd party apps, which suspend.

The main irritation that I have is that there isn't an rdp client, which will be fixed after mango is released.

4. Bassey

Re; Wow multitasking

"Welcome to 2009..."

Ahh, so you read "The History of Smartphones" by St Jobs - the one where smartphones were invented only a couple of years ago and then, in a moment of inspiration, he decided to (sort of) add multi-tasking to them?

2009 my arse. Smartphones have had multitasking for a decade - and that includes Microsoft.

2. Aichikenmin
    FAIL

The AU one?

Ah, this would be the phone that was in the news today then.

Two companies out of touch with reality desperately trying to increase their market share. Match made in heaven.

3. Charles Young

Yes, just a troll...

Yes, just the typical anti-MS troll. Windows Phone is a really promising platform and Mango is much better that the current release (I've had a play on a beta version). MS certainly have a lot to prove - no one denies that - but their strategy for Windows Phone alongside the forthcoming release of Windows 8 does, I think, have potential to win a significant share of the market. Certainly my company is planning to move from iPhone to Mango later this year, and much as I love my company iPhone, I'm looking forward to the move.

1. Robert E A Harvey
      Thumb Down

Promising?

They've had more than 6 attempts at it so far and it's only "Promising"?

Now, I've had a play, and it seems easy enough to use.

Personally I won't be buying one - not after the money wasted on earlier WP attempts. OK, it was HP that lied about being able to upgrade to the next version when available, and HP who said there was no fix for all the problems. But the Gatesian empire has had enough of my money. I'm sticking to phones that are only phones from now on.

I just think that for a company the size of Microsoft to deliver it a year late and for it still to be just "Promising" is not good enough. If they wanted to beat Apple, they had to do a whole lot better than "Promising".

4. Andy Farley

I tried one.

Didn't really like it but it offered some advantages. They'll have a job getting it into a very competitive market though.

I think people will see things the same way I did - what extra does it offer?

I really liked the live tiles but got bored of the constant scrolling and the lack of customisation.

One way it could add would be games, using their xBox back catalogue if possible. Halo on a phone would start people talking about it.

I've got an iPhone now and it's good but notifications really need to be addressed - so nothing is perfect.

Still, I've grown out of seeing MS as DA DEBIL. Especially since I use iTunes.

5. Ryan Clark

title

I have a winpho7 device (not through choice) and I am reasonably happy with it. None of updates in Mango seem like they will solve the issues I do have. Zune is rubbish and I still don't see why I have to use my PC to do tasks that I should be able to do direct from the phone.

6. Robert E A Harvey
    Headmaster

Good bye, Arithmetic, it was nice knowing you

What happened to 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 & 7.4 ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

True but not new

Same thing happened with System 7 (on the Mac) which if I am not wrong, went from 7.1 to 7.5

I suppose the .5 might be to mark a big gap between the previous version.

2. squilookle

@Robert E A Harvey

Surely the practice of choosing a version number for marketing purposes over choosing a version number to count the releases in sequece is not new, or limited to Microsoft.

1. Robert E A Harvey
        Unhappy

@squilookie

Not new, I know. But it does make me sad

*Sad that marketing people still think people will be taken in

*Sad^2 that they are right.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
      Alert

Re: Good bye, Arithmetic, it was nice knowing you

Also: 1, 2, 3, 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, Me, XP, 7, 8....

Either they don't count on their fingers in Redmond or they are all hideously deformed.....

7. red floyd

They should have made it "Windows Phone MANGA"

For the tentacle pr0n fanatics

8. Dana W
    Trollface

I'm more amused by the title.

Another big bid from Microsoft, the "Me too!" company.

The name alone is hilarious. Gee, lets make our wannabee iPhone and give it a fruit name!

It's only a matter of time till we start getting keynotes with a casually dressed Steve Ballmer coming out in jeans and a Black turtleneck.

1. JC_
      Trollface

Twat

Twat

1. Dana W
        Trollface

yes

Last I looked, yes.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like