back to article Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.7.2

If Mac OS X 10.7 - aka Lion - is giving your Mac a mauling, a big-fixing update may be just around the corner. Apple has released 10.7.2 to developers, albeit those particularly working on iCloud compatibility. iCloud is Apple's Dropbox-style online file sync'n'store service, due to go live in the Autumn. There's no sign of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan Wilkinson
    Thumb Down

Name them then

"There's no sign of 10.7.1, but the feeling among Mac pundits is that it will be released shortly to deal with the many issues Lion users have been reporting. "

El Reg is normally first to press with the "Fanbois howl with rage as Lion bites!" stories. Not seen any. Not heard of any ongoing issues with using Lion. Am away of one issue that may prevent it from installing on machines with odd Bootcamp configs.

So, please, enlighten us.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can give you one (ooo er)

After updating my macbook to lion I notice the time it takes to detect machines on the network has markedly increased. It takes forever to pick up the list compared to how nippy it was in snow leopard - and I did a format/install of 10.6 before I installed 10.7.

I also notice that I got an update after I installed 10.7, so something has been patched since.

3. Jean-Paul

Update after 10.7

Interesting you say that. Update doesn't show anything, nor does manually connecting to the download site.

Care to enlighten anyone what update you received?

PS. The official supported installation process is to update, so doing fresh installs off your own back, stuff goes wrong and you 'blame' Apple for it? Sure something might not be right, but at least do it the supported way. My network is absolutely fine and fast, can't say I noticed any slow down as it is instant with its devices incleading airdrop.

1. Dan Wilkinson

Fresh Install

I did a fresh install too. Had no choice, as was already running an elderly developer preview as the sole OS and you can't install Lion from Lion DP...

No issues so far, nothing to do with wireless that I have noticed. The update the other guy got may well have been an airport update that was long overdue perhaps, but you're right there's been no official update for any part of the OS released thus far.

This thread is REMARKABLY quiet, eh? Can it be that there are no issues? Will El Reg be forced into putting out a "Fanboys rejoice" story?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

title

I didn't read the update details (which I had now).

I did a fresh install of snow leopard because I had a whole load of apps on there and a great amount of cruft that I thought would just cause problems. So I wiped, updated to latest ver. Everything was fine before the update.

Updated and now the networking is slow. I fail to see what could go wrong when I hadn't even installed a single 3rd party app before updating to Lion. Or are you suggesting that their OS installer (using default settings) and update service introduces a random chance of fail?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

title

And just to clarify, it's only the discovery of networked machines that is slow. Accessing shares and transferring files is perfectly fine, just as it was in SL...

Thankfully I haven't been hit by the same problems these guys have: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/mac-os-x/os-x-lion-the-network-backup-disk-does-not-support-the-required-afp-features/

4. Garry 2
    Coat

Now, would you like me to be the cat?

Updated from SL last week and... no technical problems at all - Roar! Roar!

Mines the furry one with a mane

5. Richard Boyce
    Thumb Down

The cost of early adoption

Early adoption is always a risk. It's a risk I wouldn't have taken if I'd realised that new SMB networking code has been written. That risks data integrity in files.

I've already come across some problems with accessing files via Windows, such as Windows occasionally reporting it can no a longer access a drive on the Mac. A minor but worrying and reproducible example of data loss is that if I try to use Windows XP to edit a Windows shortcut stored on the Mac's drive, Windows reports that the disk is out of space and the shortcut file is deleted. I can recreate shortcuts, but what if this happens when a more significant type of file is being edited?

It's possible that XP is at ultimately fault, but the point is that this used to work before my upgrade from Snow Leopard. When you change file handling software, things can get nasty.

6. Ilsa Loving
    Happy

Updated to lion and...

I haven't run into any real issues at all. A couple of games and apps don't work, which I expect will be fixed soon enough.

So far the only special thing I have done is reverted the scroll behaviour to it's original 'unnatural' method because it's too annoying having to think about which way I have to scroll the mouse wheel when I switch between different systems.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like