back to article Anonymous hackers hacked by young Turks

AnonPlus, the social network set up by anarcho-hacktivista collective Anonymous, has itself been hacked. Affiliates of the group began to set up the site after profiles established by its members on Google+ were turfed out last week. Days later the pre-beta site was defaced by rival hackers in Turkey, who replaced the site's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome to the free and open internet

No borders, but still has nationalism

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Hmm

Isn't it about time we stop giving "Anonymous" any attention?

They'll soon get bored and go on to do things that normal children do... like go outside and actually make some real friends.

3. Aaron Em

Now that's just funny

Assholes hitting assholes with bricks, I love it. Where's my popcorn? Where's my beer?

4. matooti

Big in Japan

Someoe got arrested in Japan just for possession of computer virus http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T110721005341.htm

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

So they hacked an in-development site?

Thanks for doing the site maintainers' jobs for them with the penetration testing. I'm sure they'll have any holes you found patched shortly.

Good job, Turks! Keep it up!

1. ArmanX
      Facepalm

That's what I was thinking...

Were it I, I would have at least planted an overwhelming number of back doors into the site, for future fun; if it's easy to get in, prop the door open and unlatch a few windows, so you can come back and really do some damage.

Not that I recommend doing that... but strutting and chest-thumping only gets you so far. It's like children on a playground, calling each other names. You want to make a difference? Go a bit beyond sticking out your tongue.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

A bit of background:

It appears the "hackers" are a part of far-right, ultra-nationalistic group, as the wording suggests.

It is also notable that these people are kind of confused, and not too familiar with history. The Ottomans, though of Anatolian Turkish origin, were most definitely an Empire (imperial mindset and policy making, and nationalistic movements were not due for a few centuries anyway), hence did not care for nationality (only religious distinctions); thus Turks were just one of the nations that comprised it. Turks provided some of its army (as militia or mounted light cavalry, called "sipahi) but were forbidden to trade, while non-muslims were not allowed arms but were allowed to be traders. Main core of the "professional core", a.k.a yeniceri's were mostly comprised of children from Balkan countries taken at an early age, and raised to be Ottomans by muslim families (kind of a forced-adoption thing, though it was called "devsirme").

As for the hacking thing, it's all the same for me: The "Anon" group vs another anon group, defiling each others' websites, ranting online etc "..full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

7. Shaha Alam
    Trollface

Trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls

welcome to the trollercoaster.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Trolling trolling trolling

We'll keep those kiddies trolling.

Raw script!

YAH!

2. LaeMing
      Go

That ol' script kiddie

He must say somethin'

He don't know nothin'

He just keeps trolling Anon.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NO SELF-RESPECTING Anon

would use that faggy AnonPlus site

It's just someone (who could be anoyne) who has registered the site.

YOU CAN use GOOGLE PLUS, if you use a pseudonym.

9. Alistair
    Joke

oh -- look -- a footie match

apparently the anon's are having a football match. Oh -- look- the fans are rioting.

10. mafoo
    Trollface

Message reminds me of:

Somebody set up us the bomb.

Main screen turn on.

All your base are belong to us.

You have no chance to survive make your time.

For great justice.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

A dog?

Really, a dog? That's the most offensive thing they could come up with? I am disappointed by their lack of creativity.

1. Tomato42

Re: A dog?

It's probably very offensive in Turkish. I don't know single word in it, let alone curses, so it's a wild guess...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I know two words in Turkish but not the spelling

Gardash = Friend and Yarak = Dickhead...It's patently obvious that both sides in this little spat are the latter.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Swears

They have the standard offensive swears:

Siktir - Fuck Off

Anani Sikerim - Fuck your mother

And I think letting a dog in the house is bizarre too. If you had a friend who behaved like your average dog, you wouldn't invite them round, would you?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
            Happy

RE: Swears

At times, my dogs are probably better behaved than some of my friends! After all, when was the last time your dog went to a wedding, tried to get off with the bridesmaid and failed, got drunk and tried to get off with the bride(!), nearly got in a punch-up with the bestman, then came back round yours, threw up all over your bathroom and fell asleep in the bath?

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Boffin

RE: A dog?

".....That's the most offensive thing they could come up with?...." I suspect this is just a cultural thing, with an insult that would offend most Turks not travelling well. To many Muslims (which are in the majority in Turkey), dogs are considered unclean, and it is therefore a dire insult to be compared to a dog. This prejudice against canines persists even in educated households, where a dog may be kept for hunting or as a guard dog, but the Turkish owners would consider it bizarre to let the dog actually into the house as we do in the West.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Go

First the phishing tool with the backdoor allowing theft from phishers....

and now this! I didn't realize that this was International Poetic IT Justice Day!! Now all we need is an article on either Mark Zuckerberg getting cyberstalked, Bill Gates having to spend the day trouble-shooting a driver conflict on a his home PC or Larry Ellison having his boat rammed by a guy not observing California state boating laws and the day will be complete!

I heartily approve...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Hmm, seems to me...

...that if this becomes a hacker group war, it wouldn't be such a bad idea to take copious notes of the attacks. Might learn something new to worry about and defend against.

Signed,

A White Hat w/spikes

(who would cheerfully waterboard these punks for entertainment before burying them up to their necks in an anthill. Or set them out in the sun with fresh rawhide bands around their heads and balls. Sooooo tired of playing defense against people with way too much time on their hands or are trying to make a rep to get hired by a security company)

Properly motivated, I might even tell you what I really think.

14. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
    Meh

I read the statement. (The bit _after_ the rant.)

And it turns out the authors of the 'anon+' service "...are journalists not hackers." :shock:

The hacked page probably wasn't live code, either; they describe it as a "fake development page". And they're planning to rename the service RSN. (May I suggest "anon++"?)

Facepalm

RE: I read the statement. (The bit _after_ the rant.)

"And it turns out the authors of the 'anon+' service "...are journalists not hackers." :shock:....." As was pointed out in the recent Reg article, the Anonyputzs seem to come from a variety of backgrounds, and the only common factors seem to be a social ineptness, too much time on their hands, and a belief that they somehow have the right to impose their minority views on the majority. Why should it be a surprise that some juhnahlists should prove just as idiotic as some IT people?

15. Old Handle
    Facepalm

No offense to Turks in general but...

In my experience these Turkish "hackers" are bottom-of-the-barrel script kiddies, going after only the most obvious exploits. So getting hacked by them is pretty sad.

16. Joe User
    Happy

"snobby, arrogant, IGNORANT little fucking children"

Who still managed to hack your web site.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

teee heee heee

... yesterday, I knocked on teh doors of all the houzes on my street and run away and hid behind a tree to wotch.

I is anonymouse and did it for teh lolz cuz I is immiture and hav no life.

18. Qumahlin

The site AnonPlus is not affiliated with the group "anonymous"...

This is a case of the register reporter not knowing what they are talking about. AnonPlus is not and has never been affiliated with the "hacker group" Anonymous, nor was it setup by any members of Anonymous...hence the crappy security.

Happy

RE: The site AnonPlus is not affiliated with the group "anonymous"...

"....AnonPlus is not and has never been affiliated with the "hacker group" Anonymous...." Really? But I thought you didn't have a leadership, so who's to say they are or aren't part of the Anonyputz crowd? It's a bit like one group of a football club's hooligan element saying another group of the same club's hooligans aren't really fans of their club.

".....nor was it setup by any members of Anonymous...." But I thought you were "everyone and everywhere", or should that be "everyone that doesn't have sh*te webistes and get hacked by Turkish skiddiots"? So, if you're everyone and everywhere, and you don't have a leadership to run a membership list, I'd say they can call themselves Anonyputzs (if they really want to be seen as socially inept, childish skiddies and generally pathetic). Who are you to say who is and who isn't a sad little cretinous Anonyputzer?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Ah... Hackers and grammar

A love/hate relationship. So much to say to the world but a tenous grasp of English.

1. Killraven

Language Barriers

How about you try telling them that in their native tongue?

2. Jason Togneri
      FAIL

@ Rombizio

"So much to say to the world but a tenous grasp of English."

I'm sorry, a what grasp of English? Do you play tenous often? I prefer badminton myself.

Or is English not your native language?

20. Doug Glass
    Go

The patients ...

... have gotten the keys to the insane asylum.

21. Grubby
    Mushroom

I've said it before

I disagree with hackers, like I disagree with vandals and thieves, which is what ALL hackers are. If you have to hack your way in you're not supposed to be there.

I know many people will disagree on here as they seem to get some sense of pride or achievement from it but here are a few reasons why you should feel ashamed:

- You are trespassing, if I put a lock on my front door and you come in through a window it's the same thing.

- You are a coward, you don't have the balls to even commit your crimes in person, even drink drivers go out in their car.

- You clearly have a lot of talent that could be used to help people, but choose to make things much harder for businesses, which will cost them, which in turn costs the 'people' you claim to stand up for.

So there you go, rant over. If you choose to 'not like' it, justify your actions give examples and reveal your name.

1. CD001

Sooo...

So, what's the difference between a "hacker" and a "security penetration tester" in your book? In mine, none - white hat, black hat, both are hackers the only difference is in motivation.

I disagree with anyone who actually spouts crap like "Hacking is bad, mmmmmmmkay" on principle. I just don't see the world as being that clear cut, in anything, ever...

Banksy - artist or vandal? Discuss.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Holmes

@CD001

Banksy - Vandal; just because people like it doesn't mean it isn't vandalism it just means people like it. It's the same with hacking.

Also, penetration testing isn't hacking, it's penetration testing, part of the QA process intended to identify vulnerabilities that could be exploited for the purposes of hacking.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I happen to disagree

In the good old days, Hackers didn't break into websites, attack networks or do anything remotely criminal. No, we didn't vandalize other people's web sites, didn't steal data, nothing like that.

What we, the old school hackers, did was hack code. There were a lot of reasons to do this, including bug fixing, and yes, this is what I did, and why I was considered a hacker. You could say it makes me a code hacker rather than what is currently referred to as hacking, but you failed to make that distinction and instead seem to want to tar us all with the same brush anyhow. Not very clever.

So:

I don't trespass: I go only where I am invited to as I consider that polite.

I am not a coward: I just like a bit of privacy. You see, Grubby, I don't know you, and you don't know me. What I know is: Grubby isn't your real name, just an alias. And using an alias is an attempt at being anonymous without being too blatant. So you, like I, seek to protect your privacy, which isn't really that evil, now is it? And yes, this is why I chose to post anonymously.

I have talent: Well, yes, that's why I work in IT, and I use my skills and talents to help people. If they want to be helped that is. I do my best to provide a good quality, professional service. I certainly do not try to make things difficult for businesses with one exception: If they cold call. Then I see them as fair game and I do delight in messing them around. But even then I consider it my civic duty to do so: They're intruders, after all, and by messing them about, wasting their time, it reduces the time they have to annoy someone else. So, I guess even then I am helping people.

But who do I stand up for? Well, me, really. I don't pretend to know what's good for you, or for anyone else, and you've not asked me to stand up for you, have you? Well, if you have, you've not let me know... but then you don't know who I am so you can't, can you? Ah, well, the delights of being anonymous.

Anyhow, there you go: Why not ALL hackers are bad. Us Old School hackers are a much different breed to these new 'hackers/script kiddies/crackers/phreakers/whatevertheycallthemsevlesthesedayspunkkidsandneredowells'.

Have a nice day :)

22. Tim 39
    Thumb Down

re: Qumahlin

Apparently Qumahlin who posted here is the one clueless. FACT is, the Anonymous group ARE the ones who set up that website, and it wouldn't have been just anyone.

23. Tim 39

For the clueless here

"Anonymous unleashes social network AnonPlus after Google+ ban"

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-07/18/anonplus-announced

Just because it was intended for all people, doesn't mean they weren't the ones who set it up. They set it up after Google had the morals/ethics to ban them, including their gmail accounts.

24. Goldberg
    Trollface

u mad ?

HURR DURR ANONYMOUS IS LEJION WE DO NOT FORGET WE DO NOT FORGIVE

25. Mips
    Childcatcher

Pot Kettle Black

and no comment (for once)

26. Grubby

In my book

The difference between a hacker and a security penetration tester is very obvious, it's like asking what's the difference between someone test driving a car and someone stealing one. One was asked to complete a job / task, the other is a scum bag loser with no life.

I'm not against the skill of programming / coding / investigative work, that was the whole point of the post. If you'd read it right you'd see I admire it, it should be applied to something useful, with permission, which is the vital thing you don't seem to understand.

I'll come rob your house and I assume you'll thank me for "testing your security" if you email me your address.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like