back to article Files Connect

I use Dropbox to sync files between computers and mobile devices, but the problem with Dropbox is that you can only sync files and folders that you’ve already placed into the Dropbox folders on those devices. I’m not that organised and when I’m using my iPhone or iPad I often find that I’d like to quickly browse my desktop …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Spearchucker Jones
    FAIL

Pricey? At 5.49? Seriously?!?

Blows me away. Every time.

The developer(s) must've spent months on the app (probably at a rate of £2/3000 a month). You spent £hundreds on your ithingy. And five and a half pounds is expensive?

You have a need for an application. It costs y. You're only prepared to spend x. Answer? Don't buy it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It shouldn't even be an app.

The ability to get shared files over a network should be inherent in IOS, like pretty much every other OS made with network support.

2. spencer

£5.49 *is* pricey

It's pricey because this is something that should be in the OS already.

How embarrassing.

1. Spearchucker Jones
        Mushroom

£5.49 *isn't*, in fact, pricey

It's less than the cost of a packet of cigarettes.

Saying that it should be in the OS is as stupid as saying that a packet of potatoes should include a potato pealer*. If it's that important then choose a tablet that does include it. If there's no OS the does, then... shell out buddy.

Of course I unserstand that gracefully accepting things you can't change is much less fun than whining about it.

* The guy who writes the OS decides what to include in the OS. Or product. Or service. Or whatever. If a requirement the consumer needs isn't included, then the consumer shops somewhere else. Simples.

1. spencer

£5.49 *is* pricey.

You're right, compared to cigarettes it's cheap. Compared to other useful applications in the app store (which is a fairer comparison, wouldn't you agree?) it's expensive.

As for the OS you're talking about; IOS. This has BSD sockets for networking and CIFS already works on it.

You're paying £5.49 for a pretty front end.

Of course I understand that getting gracefully mugged by apple is much less fun than actually bothering to look things up.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Incredible,...

...£5.49 for a function that should be available in iOS by default. Please can someone explain to me why the iFanbois put up with this kind of shit?

Apple - Fisher Price level IT in a shiny box.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC

You're correct (in my opinion too) that filesharing should definitely be a standard function in any smartphone.

But where do you draw the line? None of my friends with *whatever* version of smartphone they own has ever needed to do this. They probably wouldn't even see the point of it.

A couple of my iphone owning friends still haven't got around to syncing their phones since the original setup months ago.

Just because you or I want this function, it doesn't mean anyone else does. All features have to be 'worth' the time spent developing them. In Apple's case it probably wasn't worth the time, so it was left for other devs to come up with.

But don't worry about logic or anything like that - just let your obvious hatred for anything shiny blind your eyes.

1. Cameron Colley

@Second AC

But the iPad isn't a smart phone and it doesn't include any file handling functionality. I've been playing with one recently and, while it's a bit of fun, for a £400 device it's shit -- you can't do simple tasks with it without shelling out for apps and there isn't an app for everything.

These Tablets are touted as replacing desktop and laptop PCs -- but they just don't. Lack of file handling and the fact you need a PC as well to do anything vaguely clever makes them just expensive, shiny toys.

3. KeithSloan

Already use FileBrowser

I already use FileBrowser app and it meets all my needs and is a lot cheaper.

4. Gordon 10

Waste of time

Unless this provides a full filesystem for iOS it's merely a bodge.

The inability of my iPad to edit then upload a document via a HTML form to website x has had me close to throwing it across the room.

Probably a good app but merely provides a partial work around for iOS's failings in the file system / file transfer area.

Come on you know something is stupidly wrong when Office HD has to include email functionality just to help you move docs between Apps.

Fail apple fail.

1. uhuznaa

Full filesystem...

While I agree that the lack of a real filesystem can be annoying now and then, digging around in the mess that every OS and its apps tend to dump into the filesystem isn't exactly joyful either. It just feels "normal" as long as you're doing it anyway, but I bet digging around in trash and manure feels normal too if you do it all of your life.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

What will happen...

... if file management (user based that is) comes a 20th century hangover and finding files becomes oh-so-keyword-centric a la often quoted google type search on keyword for files automatically file managed at system level?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

This does way more than ppl are giving credit for

I personally have this app and think its worth the money. This connects to all (?) of your cloud services and presents an enhanced file browser like interface that I dont think any app does.

This does not expose the IoS filesystem but helps create a private filesystem for your use... sync files to/from your computers and cloud services..

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@spencer ... LMAO

This joke made my day.. Oh well, better get back to working on the boring BSD sockets :-).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like