back to article Next iPhone to sport thinner, lighter casing, says paper

The Wall Street Journal has joined the Great iPhone 5 Rumour Fest, claiming the yet-to-be-announced gadget will be thinner and lighter than the current model. The new handset will also sport an 8Mp camera, its Asian component manufacturer insiders tell the paper. Past speculation has it that the handset will incorporate Apple …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Design..

The iPhone 4 looks like the iPad, so if I was an analyst spouting bull about Apple products I would venture forth that the next gen iPhone will sport a look similar to the iPad2..

1. Annihilator
      WTF?

Really?

The iPhone 4 looks diddly squat like the original iPad, or the second one. Have you actually seen either of them?

Note the curved design of the iPad(s) compared with the "signal enhancing" (cough) band of the iP4 and the flat glass back.

2. Mondo the Magnificent
    Devil

Faster, thinner, smarter? The phone, not the fanboys!

All this speculation does is make people want what isn't realy out there.

It's the hype that makes people hate Apple. Never before have I seen such hype about a mobile phone and that's all the iPhone 4GS/5/V is.. a phone.

TBH I think El Reg gives the iPhone product speculation more attention than it warrants. The Jobsians may sit before their backlit MacBook monitors and salivate about the 8MP camera, thinner case and 3 all new A5 processor.. however, some, if not most of us El Reg fans don't give a chicken's fart about it.

1. Walt French

A chicken's fart comment?

And yet, you chose to go to the page and post your less-than-a-chicken's-fart reply. Verrrry interesting, as your analyst might say.

The Register hasn't added much value to this story, at least yet. My impression is that the WSJ (for which I shell out a fair amount of money each year) actually has a damn-near-perfect record as far as its Apple prognostications go. Maybe The Register could differentiate the quality mainstream British press from the Niebelungs toiling for Mr Murdoch by assessing that track record, maybe differentiating it from how <i>News of the World</I> gets its material.

How about it? Got cojones?

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: A chicken's fart comment?

Cojones yes, but not the time.

BTW, the Wall Street Journal is owned by Murdoch by way of News Corp's ownership of WSJ publisher Dow Jones.

3. Kwac
    Meh

BUT

But will it be WHITE?

4. Joel Osborn

oh take one

They're wafer thin.

5. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Is it just me....

Just out of curiosity, am I in a minority because I'd prefer the 5 to be the same thickness as the 4 with a longer battery life than thinner?

6. stucs201
    Holmes

iPhone X+1 thinner and lighter than iPhone X

In other shock predictions the sun will rise in the East tommorow.

7. Rodrigo Valenzuela

(untitled)

"The Wall Street Journal has joined the Great iPhone 5 Rumour Fest"

... and you want to say that El Reg was first on that bandwagon?

R

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Stop

Why?

The damn things are already too thin to hold comfortably (especially if you've got wet hands). Will we soon have to wear special gloves so we don't cut our fingers on the edges?

1. Scarborough Dave
      Go

I agree thigker please

I'd prefer it a little thicker with better battery life and slighly more curved for my hand.

As long as it is no more than 1.5cm with a case on.

9. Rustybucket
    Thumb Down

Oh for pity's sake

This is an announcement that surely even the most ardent Apple devotee would have trouble finding interesting.

A pointless report about the WSJ's needless iPhone hand-job? Come on, El Reg; you can do better than this.

10. Annihilator
    Boffin

The name

This has been annoying me for a while now. The only reason the 3rd iPhone was called the 3GS is because the couldn't really call it the iPhone 3 having already called the 2nd one a 3G (referring to signal and nothing else).

If they call it a 4S, they can't call the subsequent one the iPhone 5 - cos it would be the 6th one. The only logical solution is to call it the iPhone 5. Though having said that, when have Apple ever abided (abode? abaded?) with common sense?...

11. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Pint

The Only Thing I Hate...

...about the thin devices of our day, is that it makes the devices of the future (Star Trek, specifically) look old and clunky.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Star Trek?

Perhaps the clunkier Star Trek devices of the future are the result of a realisation that the search for thinner/smaller devices is a current marketing ploy to con the drones, whilst the future 'understands' that 'practical' is far superior.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

another vote for battery life

I would actually like a phone a bit taller and wider, (with a larger screen to match) and a longer battery rather than thinner. I suppose that would require the interface to be resized, which may be a way off, but what about having an extra 'app' wide and tall.

Making the iPods smaller was good, as they were just music devices, but iphones/ touches could do with fattening up a bit, for me at least.

I spend so much time with my nose at that screen, I would really enjoy the extra size...

8MP camera might be nice, but I would prefer low light performance to improve.

Faster processor to allow for all the screen mirror capabilities, yes good. More responsive is always better. iPhone 2G to iPhone 4 was a fantastic step-up.

Anyone else excited about a 1080P AppleTV? May be worth getting, even without iPlayer. They could even start allowing apps... I think it would be a much better way to do presentations at work, beaming them off an iPad or iPhone. Will probably be a headache in reality as all the projectors are VGA and the current appleTV is 100% HDMI.

13. Fremma

Sue em, Samsung

A thin phone, now where have I seen that before? Oh, yes, the Samsung Galaxy S2. Get your lawsuit in quickly, Samsung, because you know that if you don't, Apple will sue you.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Completely different

I'd like it to be completely different to the current model, so that when I am forced to pull it out in public everybody can see it is a new model and realise how wonderful I am.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like