back to article Apple orders millions of iPhone 5s for September release

Apple has allegedly ordered 15 million iPhone 5 handsets from its Taiwanese manufacturing partners with a view to start shipping the gadget in September. Well, that's what those familiar unnamed insiders from Taiwan's component world say. Apparently, notebook manufacturer Pegatron Technology has landed the Apple order, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Meh

Why wait?

HTC has many top-end "better than iPhone" Android models out now... Unless you are a hardened fanbois, why wait until September for piddling cosmetic improvements over your current iPhone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Reasons

1. It isn't Android

2. See 1.

Personally I want a bloody phone with a phone keyboard not a qwerty virtual thing, but that will never happen now.

Handbag, because it looks like one.

1. g e
        Stop

However

1. 'Not iphone' is a huge advantage as you can move brands but retain the OS and your apps

2. see 1

3. Meh

2. Nigel Steward

Android with QWERTY keyboard

Android 'phone with hard QWERTY keyboard - Barcelona from Orange, 2.6-inch TFT touch screen:-

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/barcelona-from-orange

Why buy Apple ?

NJSS

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

thanks for pointing the barcelona out...

3 questions though...

- can this be unlocked this for use on O2 *EASILY*?

- does it have a threaded SMS view built-in? (I'm still on a Nokia 6303 so give me a break! I'm not sure if the threaded/conversation view is built into Android like the iphone and BB, or if it's done via an app)

- is it any good?

ta!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't forget...

3. It isn't HTC.

They've mucked about with the bluetooth, and they recently tried to abandon any pretence of continuing to support the users of the HTC desire. HTC is best avoided IMO - they might have nice shiny new gadgets out now, but will they still be supported in a year's time?

1. g e

True enough but

In a year and a half you should be due an upgrade....

If you organised your phone contracts right (wifey does ours, sticks it to Voda every 18 months for top-line phones)

:o)

2. Gil Grissum
          Pint

HTC EVO is my last HTC phone

With the lack of memory and the headaches after the Gingerbread update, I'm abandoning HTC as soon as my one year upgrade arrives in December. Moto Photon, here I come!!!

4. Steve Evans
        Megaphone

re: Keyboard

"Personally I want a bloody phone with a phone keyboard not a qwerty virtual thing, but that will never happen now."

Maybe you should take your Fanboi blinkers off...

Android: Menu, settings, Language & Keyboard, Touch Input, Keyboard types = Phone keypad.

1. dssf

Neat...

But, in portrait mode, the phone and compact settings work. However, in landscape, the wider keyboard arrangement takes over, unless the phone is rotated back to vertical/portrait.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Facepalm

Prat

Its still virtual. Not one bloody smartphone now has a proper phone keyboard. They are all fecking qwerty or touchscreen. And not a fanboi (you are such a cretin for using that word by the way, makes you sound about 14) - just want something decent to upgrade from my N95 to.

5. Greg J Preece

Re: Android with QWERTY keyboard

Also, there's the X10 Mini Pro, which is better than you might think, and the Desire Z, which is a Desire with a keyboard nailed to it.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          Happy

RE: Re: Android with QWERTY keyboard

And for gamers, the Sony Ericcson Xperia Play, with slide-out PlaySation-style controller.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Thumb Up

RE: Why wait?

I have three phones I use daily, most used being my work Blackberry. Second up I've just upgraded to a nice new HTC Senstation with Gingerbread and it's truly a great personal phone. And still getting useage after many years (it's an app thing) is my old iPaq running WinMob 2k3 2nd Ed (no, I'm not joking). The Sensation is brilliant, and - having tried friends iPhones - I just didn't see the need to wait for an iPhone5

1. Tom 38

Re: RE: Why wait?

So you don't own an iphone, have just upgraded to not-an-iphone, don't want to own an iphone, and you can't see why people would be waiting to buy an iphone?

You are definitively the target audience..

Depending on what it is like, I may finally upgrade my three year old iphone 3G.

Stop

RE: Re: RE: Why wait?

".....you can't see why people would be waiting to buy an iphone?....." Well, I did my market research, compared prices and features, thought about what I was actually going to do with a phone, and came to the conclusion that the iPhone4 offered zero over what the HTCs offered, and Android seemed a lot more flexible in choice of what I can actually do with the phone. So, for me, it seemd daft to pay more to buy an iPhone that would actually give me less than the HTC. Looking at the details released so far on the iPhone, I still see nothing of greater value than the HTC Sensation gives already. If the iPhone4 had given me something extra over the HTC then I would have paid the extra. Instead of you fanbois just doing the shouty-shouty, please explain what features you think the iPhone5 will have that will make it better than the current dual-core Android phones?

3. Silver
      Unhappy

Re: Why wait?

Depends on what you define "better than iPhone". Rather a lot of people like the consistent and slick user interface and the absence of bundled crapware and ugly skins which only serve to slow the phone down. Not to mention functionality that isn't half baked and a past history that gives you the confidence that you're probably going to be seeing up to 2 years worth of software updates.

Send from my operator untouched, unlocked retail HTC Desire HD which still hasn't seen one update since I bought it 9 months ago...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Desire HD Updates

You missed the Gingerbread update about 2 months ago and what looks like a more recent update to the Gingerbread update then?

Have a look at XDA Developers

4. john devoy

iphone4

Apple may be control freak nutjobs but the iphone 4 is the best smartphone ive used to date.

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Gimp

"the iphone 4 is the best smartphone ive used to date."

Fanboi to English translation: "The iPhone 4 is the most recent Apple smartphone."

5. Gil Grissum
      Pint

Fondle Phone

The fan boys wait because they don't want "something better than an iPhone". They want the exact same thing that they stand in line to buy every year since the first iPhone- an iPhone that has slight improvements over the last. You don't know why? Word on the street is that attractive women think that men who have the iPhone are sexy and men with iPhones are 75% more likely to get laid if seen playing with their fondle phone in public. LOL!!!

2. Nick L
    Stop

Man bites dog... ?

Apple to release new iPhone: No! Say it ain't so! Stop the press!

Given their propensity for doing this every year, how is this in any way, shape or form news?

I am looking forward already to the latest new scoop which will undoubtedly be 'ipad 3 confirmed as coming sometime'.

Sweet mercy El Reg, please stop pushing this sort of non-event as news. It isn't. Fanbois will already know about it and be priapic over the potential specs (with added Unicorn, undoubtedly), everyone else will realise it is just a question of time before this hits the shelves.

3. QuackingPlums
    Gimp

I DON'T CARE

It's the best phone.

It's 3G and has the WiFis.

1. Code Monkey
      FAIL

Re: It's 3G and has the WiFis.

Yeah. Two great selling points unique to the iPhone.

Where's the clown icon?

1. Mr Brush
        FAIL

Popular culture FAIL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg look around the 1:40 mark.

2. Zack Mollusc
        FAIL

Re: Re: It's 3G and has the WiFis.

Heh, whooosh!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yubb5x0OE8

3. Zack Mollusc
        FAIL

I am an idiot

Damn it! Wrong Video !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&feature=related

2. It wasnt me
      Thumb Up

and...

..... its the only wifey you fanbois are ever likely to see

3. gerryg
      Trollface

only if

http://dilbert.com/2011-06-30/

4. Craig 12

Not troll, just really lazy

Apple makes things really easy to upgrade handsets and not lose a single thing. Keeps the stupid and lazy upgrading.

Plus, dare I say it, the battery in the iphone 4 still beats most other handsets. I charge mine up every 3 or 4 days, and with very light use, it managed over a week on hols. If they can improve that with the iphone 5, winner.

1. Greg J Preece
      Trollface

Oh cynical me

"Apple makes things really easy to upgrade handsets and not lose a single thing."

I suspect this is more Apple making it really easy to *restore* handsets, given the number of times ours have needed it doing after a good ol' bricking.

5. Robert E A Harvey
    Holmes

Heuristics complete

I've just run a massive analysis on my array of super-computers, and can predict that I am 94% certain that the iPhone after that will be called the iPhone 6.

6. Prag Fest
    Big Brother

Reasons to wait

4. I dont want every single detail of my life being sold by Google to any old punter that chucks them a few quid.

1. thesykes
      Thumb Down

same old rubbish spouted...

Go to a shop, buy an Android phone. Give Google no details. Turn phone on (no PC required) and use. Simple.

Want to download apps? OK, sign up for a Gmail account. Provide Google with a name (could be yours, but, who says it does?). No address, no date of birth, no credit card details, no telephone number.

Activate the Market with the new anonymous Gmail account. Download apps.

Now... what details exactly can Google sell?

So far I have had zero spam emails, zero spam sms, zero spam phone calls. If they are selling my info, the people they are selling to are probably the most incompetent marketeers on the planet.

7. Nathan 13
    Joke

Can I not just give Apple my credit card.....

And just have them charge it automatically every time a new product comes out, and ship me one pronto.

Saves all that overnight slumming it with the winos and crackheads the day before apple have another ejaculation :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

its a wonder

Its a wonder apple don't have there own fanboi credit card.

It would just take a % of your monthly income and send it to apple. Then every few months sends you the latest apple iproduct, while slowly increasing the amount it takes from your bank until you just pay apple your wages.

Lets face it, if apple started groceries in the apple store then the fanbois would pay 60% above market price for their weekly shopping...

1. koncordski

Er?

Apple make new handsets, people buy them.

HTC make new handsets, people buy them.

Samsung make new handsets people buy them.

I'm happy to pay for decent build quality personally. My HP elitebook 2530p creaks and squeaks when you pick it up, my MB Pro doesn't.

My Work blackberry keeps shedding bits of plastic and has awful battery life, my iphone doesn't.

Buy what you like.

8. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Facepalm

re Its a wonder

So you have shopped at Harrods then?

9. Doug Glass
    Go

Damn, I'm just glad ...

... I waited on the iPhone 27.

10. Arctic fox
    Windows

Judging by the downvote pattern there are some *very* sensitive.....

.................people lurking in the shadows, I wonder who they are and why.

11. Robert Heffernan
    Facepalm

Established Cycle

I don't understand all this iPhone 5 stuff when apple have an established cycle of "iPhone XG, iPhone XGS, iPhone YG, iPhone YGS".

This formula is working well for apple and it stands to reason the next phone will be the iPhone 4GS. Anyone who speculates otherwise is just phishing for readers.

Yes, apple probably has a devboard or two floating around the inner recesses of their R&D department that will eventually be the iPhone 5G but until it's nicked in a californian bar, I will treat any information as pure hearsay and speculation.

Boffin

RE: Established Cycle

The naming change not to have a "iPhone4G" is probably to limit the opportunities for US competitors to point out that the iPhone4 is not 4G-capable but stuck at 3G, whilst other US handsets (go on, take a guess - yes, Android ones!) already have 4G. Having played with a Verizon 4G phone in the States I'd say the speed difference is staggering.

2. chr0m4t1c

@Established Cycle

Are you sure about that?

First: iPhone (aka iPhone 1)

Second: iPhone 3G (aka iPhone 2, because iPhone 1 didn't do 3G)

Third: iPhone 3GS (aka iPhone 3, souped up iPhone 2)

Fouth: iPhone 4 (no need for an aka)

Not that much of a pattern yet, just a sign that they painted themselves into a corner by using the number "3" in the name of the second phone.

It is possible that the internet rumours will turn out to be true and the new phone will called a "4S", but that does seem like a silly idea now they've managed to align the numbers correctly again.

Mind you, it still makes more sense than any of Microsoft's product maps:

1->2->2.1->3->3.1->3.11->95->98->ME->Dead

or

3.1->3.5->3.51->4->2000->XP->Vista->7

or

3.1->3.5->3.51->4->2000->2003->2008

I suppose that do at least appear to have settled on what naming standards they are going to use from now on.

12. VeganVegan
    Unhappy

If you don't have an iPhone,

well, you don't have an iPhone.

Happy

RE: If you don't have an iPhone,

You just have more choice and more cash in your pocket.

13. Gadget Rage is BAD
    FAIL

Why is it that..

every Apple thread is full of fandroids whinging and bitching whereas the Apple fans could care less about even reading the Android threads nevermind commenting on them? The hatred for Apple never ceases to amaze. You don't want one, fine NOBODY CARES you don't need to remind us all every 5 minutes.

Had to laugh at the usual comment about Apple releasing a new phone every year when firstly this will be the first new phone in 18 months and secondily having just had a look at the HTC website see that they have no less than THIRTEEN Android phones available and thats just one company (and also not counting their Windows phones). Get a grip, seriously.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Holmes

Apple fans don't read Android threads for a reason

Ask a fundamentalist Christian if he's ever read a given book on philosophy, theology, ethics or morality, and nine times out of ten he will reply "I don't need to read that, the Bible tells me everything I need to know". Ask an Apple fanboi if he's ever looked at the specs, software, style or cost of a non-Apple phone, and nine times out of ten he will reply "I don't need to read that, I have my iPhone and I'm happy".

The blind faithful rarely have interest in anything but the object of their faith.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Jedit Silver badge
          Mushroom

What obsession?

I picked up my first Android phone a couple of months ago. It's neat, I like it - but as a novice smartphone user it's not easy for me to get the most out of the OS. An iPhone may in fact have been the better choice for me in that respect. Also, if I pick up a tablet it's likely to be an iPad as I would be using it for magazine subscriptions and boardgaming, and some of the things I want just aren't available for Android devices. So I'm far from an Android fanboy as you suggest.

However, I am not going to pay over the odds simply because a given device is a fashion accessory. Nor, given a choice, would I buy a product from a company whose public face has said that "iPod users would rather be mugged than have people not know they have an iPod" - yes, that is a genuine quote - and that when their handheld device didn't work properly when held naturally, blamed the design of the human hand. All big companies are arrogant, but Apple's arrogance is consummate.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, except...

... it's just a cell phone. Why can't people be happy with a cell phone that lets them make calls, check their email, do some web surfing, and maybe a few other things?

Android is not a higher truth. It lets you type by swiping your finger around. Give me a break. Seriously, every single time an Android user has shown me something they can do with Android that I can't do with my iPhone, I can tell them with absolute honesty that I 100% do not give a shit.

14. Jams
    WTF?

Why......................?

Do people care so much about different brands of phones? You don't get this level of animosity with socks or potatoes!

Discuss

15. TheOtherHobbbes

It's just like an iPhone 4

but this time the antenna works.

(Possibly.)

Joke

RE: It's just like an iPhone 4

But the improvement is now you just need your tongue stuck to a railing rather than a flagpole.

16. twunt

@Gadget Rage is BAD

I often wonder about that too - why is it bad when Apple releases one phone a year, but its ok for HTC to release one a MONTH (as far as I can see they have 7 new models so far in 2011).

Maybe this is why a new Apple product is more of a story than say the HTC Wildfire S, or the Desire S, or Sensation, or HD....

17. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like