back to article Samsung runs to the ITC to seek Apple ban

Samsung has filed a complaint with the US International Trade Commission seeking to ban the import of Apple handsets which it claims are in breach of its patents. The filing relates to the ongoing patent spat between Samsung and Apple. The ITC has the power, if it thinks that a patent is being infringed, to prevent infringing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Don't trust Herr Meuller

He is (apparently) a paid shill in the pocket of those lovely people from Washington State.

His comments on this topic should be taken with a really big pich of salt.

2. Ted Treen
    Trollface

..and they reckon...

...that irrespective of the validity of their filing, that a US Trade Commission is likely to find in favour of a Korean outfit and against a US ultra-success story?

I have to admire their confidence.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Missing the point

It's a preemptive strike. If Apple had filed with the ITC first then Samsung imports may have been banned. As you suggest the ITC is very unlikely to uphold the Samsung complaint, but if Apple file a complaint now the ITC won't find in their favour either because to do so would be clearly a sign of bias.

Samsung may have got wind that Apple were planning to file a complaint with the ITC.

1. John Molloy
        Thumb Up

I need to do some research...

But I thought Apple had actually done this a few months back...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

success story

It would be great if western countries (other than Germany) could start making their own goods again. Yeah, they might cost more, but so what?

http://despair.com/discovery.html (insert nationals of whatever state you prefer)

3. Tom 13

Pre 2008 that would have been true,

this is post 2008. Although since it's Korea instead of China it's a 50-50 thing for Samsung.

3. M Gale

Wondered how long this would take.

Hope Apple get everything they are giving.

As for them being a US success story, they outsource most of the work to China don't they? Could paint that as somewhat traitorous, if you were into the black art of PR and spin.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed

Don't I recall some senator suggesting that the US government should not use any Lenovo products because, being manufactured in China, they may contain nasty James Bond style spying kit?

If a senator is daft enough to believe that then it's not too much of a stretch to believing that all that Chinese manufactured "american" hardware is also packed to the gills with bugs.

4. Alan Denman

No Sage needed to predict Apple's cunning plan.

It always seemed yet another ruse to ease users into supporting Apple's financial cunning.

5. breyuk

Honestly

I fully understand the commercial perspective view of company's and shareholders but wouldn't it be nice to live in a patent free world were all advancement in technology is shared and progressed?

From a technical perspective Apple is slowly moving away from the thoughts and aspirations of end users. I would hope that their end goal is not to sue the world, but to advance and be of benefit.

Although I don't have a great love for Samsung and their lack of originality they do provide good quality goods at realistic pricing, something Apple is unable to do.

6. breyuk

I wonder......

I fully understand the commercial perspective view of company's and shareholders but wouldn't it be nice to live in a patent free world were all advancement in technology is shared and progressed?

From a technical perspective Apple is slowly moving away from the thoughts and aspirations of end users. I would hope that their end goal is not to sue the world, but to advance and be of benefit.

Although I don't have a great love for Samsung and their lack of originality they do provide good quality goods at realistic pricing, something Apple is unable to do.

7. Joey
    FAIL

Huh?

An original idea from Samsung is very hard to imagine. The only Samsung product I have is a AV amplifier and it is rubbish in every respect!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Indeed

My monitor is the best I've ever used. Out of interest who makes the monitors for Macs?

8. Wallyb132
    Devil

Apple needs to pick up a history book..

Apple needs to pick up a history book, the last time they tried a look and feel lawsuit things didn't end so well for apple... This lawsuit was heading up during another time when Steve jobs wasn;t at the helm, and it failed miserably.\

I believe this one will suffer the same fate...

9. MooseNC
    Pint

How about this?

Xerox needs to sue all of them for creating icons in the first place. Look up the Xerox Alto. As for rounded corners on icons, I remember OS/2 having rounded corners on most of the icons. This is just insane. Apple's lawyers either need to lay of the nose candy or go back to chasing ambulances.

1. chr0m4t1c

Maybe read the whole story first

This kicked off with Apple challenging Samsung for allegedly ripping off the overall look and feel of mobile phones, the Alto hasn't inspired any mobile that I can see.

Oh, and the Xerox PARC work that ultimately spawned X-Windows, GEM, MS Windows, Mac-OS and all the others was actually a continuation of work that had started at Stanford in the 1960s (PARC wasn't founded until 1970).

Conveniently ignored by many is the fact that Xerox bought Pre-IPO stock in Apple and sent engineers to help them build the original Macintosh OS, so it's ridiculous to suggest that Apple "ripped off" their work.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Yeah, but if I whip it like this, my pee goes a bit further

Don't they have better things to do? Like PH?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like