back to article Draw and fold working circuitry with the silver-ink pen

Top boffins in Illinois have invented a truly joyous piece of kit: a pen full of silver ink which can be used to draw functioning electronic circuitry on paper, wood (including – of course – breadboards) and other suitable surfaces. "Pen-based printing allows one to construct electronic devices 'on-the-fly'," says Jennifer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. T.a.f.T.
    Happy

Plotters return?

Do you think this will mean data plotters will make a come back, these often could take standard pens in them. Two or three pens of different thickness's in a plotter machine and I could print my circuits directly onto paper or read board :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unless I am missing something

They are re-inventing the wheel. I have used one of these for years to repair circuit breaks, but it could just as easily be used to draw whole circuits

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/8420p.html

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Ditto

Used one of these at least 20 years ago. Not new at all (well not in the UK anyway!).

2. Annihilator

Flexibility

I'm assuming the only difference is the "flexible" nature of the dried product. Otherwise I wondereded exactly the same as you - except it's in ballpoint form unlike the ones I've used in the past.

3. Thecowking
    Happy

I want one!

When I can stamp a microprocessor at appropriate parts of the paper too I'll be even happier.

This is the second step towards buying a touch sensitive sheet of e-ink paper and making it into a paper thin computer!

Step one was those printable batteries http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/08/paintable_batteries/

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

You might need a finer tip then

Given the pin spacing of your average SMD packaged processor you won't get far with a 2 mm thick tip..

4. Jaap stoel
    Mushroom

As James Bond said...

The writing's on the wall.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

but then James Bond also used to say

I've been bashing my head against a brick book.

5. Graham Bartlett
    Alien

Paging Bob Howard

Or of course it can be used for impromptu summoning of demons, portals to another universe, or just a *really* good lock on a hotel door.

(Hmm, does the Laundry fall under "divine being", "spawn of satan", "nuclear fireball", "troll", "black helicopter", "boffin", "alien" or "big brother"?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Laundry?

All of the above, obviously...

6. Mage Silver badge
    Unhappy

not new

Fibre tip silver loaded pens available for years.

Main use is repair of tracks.

Issues with use:

* Pen dries out.

* Silver is very expensive

* current is very limited

* Adding the actual resistors, capacitors, ICs. etc., Gluing them on sort of works, but any flex at all the connect between track and pin cracks.

* need to solder copper wires or printed copper track for power supply pins, connectors, LED or speaker drive etc...

* Wood, paper, cotton etc are useless. They become too conductive if there is any moisture about.

* I first tried this in late 1970s

* Still successfully repairing damaged tracks on real PCBs.

So this sounds more like a pair of Art students rather than real Boffins or Engineers.

Yes, this would be great. Especially if the printer cartridge could be filled with silver ink (there ARE inkjets that can do this) and a suitable substrate to print on,

7. Pypes

Conductive ink / paint

Has been around for donkeys years, how is this stuff any different?

8. Alan Firminger

"disposable electronics"

Based on silver !

9. Jon Press

If you don't need the flexibility...

... just go to Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/conductive-pen-33837

I take it the author doesn't have a subscription to the journal either or perhaps we might have got to know how the new magic material is different...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Invented?

Sounds remarkably similar to the silver ink pens that have been available for years to repair heating elements in car windows, but are equally at home repairing electronic circuits, as I've proven myself a few times.

11. Linker3000
    Boffin

Been done before

I guess they don't read the "Evil Mad Scientist" web site:

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/mobiuscircuit

Dated 2009

12. Scott Thomson

Is there another link?

I'd like to find out more but don't want to have to sign up/pay to read about it.

13. James Hughes 1

I'm waiting

For stick on components to go with the circuit pens. Imagine buying a Panini style pack of stickers and making you own electronics....

14. vagabondo

is this new?

What is difference between this and the silver conductive pens that I have been using for about 20 years? Very handy for PCB repairs and minor re-working. Is the advance in flexibility/foldability/durability?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

So if I draw a circuit symbols...

...diodes, transistors, etc, will it make them too? Now pop back when you've invented that, and I'll take a dozen.

1. Elmer Phud

Now that's a great idea

Voodo Pen - draw your symbols and they become real.

(which way does that gate go?)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Voodo Pen been done, hasn't it?

Scribblenauts?

2. Chris Holford
      Facepalm

'...in my young days....hrrumph etc etc'

Somewhere I've got a book from the 1920s on 'wireless' (the big wooden box sort) with do-it-yourself instructions. -Make a resistor by drawing a line with a graphite pencil on a piece of dry smooth oak. - Soft pencil ;6B for low resistance, hard pencil 6H for high resistance. Make a microphone by stretching a paper diaphragm over the top of an empty cocoa tin and draw a line across it with a pencil. 'condensers' were made from layers of foil from chocolate bar wrapping separated by layers of waxed paper.

16. G C M Roberts
    Coat

Erm

Would there be a copper version in the pipeline?

From what I remember about the elements, silver is a bucket load more pricey and copper has a good enough conductivity for most applications.

Mine's the very dusty A level lab coat

17. Prof
    FAIL

Old hat surely

Conductive pens are nothing new. These scientists must be living in a bubble. What's the point of inventing something you can already buy at Maplin?

In fact, they've been on the shelf in Halfords for decades - to fix scratched heated-rear-windscreen wires.

18. Adam Foxton
    WTF?

Hasn't this been around for years?

As in this stuff: http://www.maplin.co.uk/conductive-pen-33837

I've been using similar things to that to fix (and prototype) PCBs with conductive silver inks/paints for a good few years, and conductive ink's also been useful for model making (why weaken thin plastic parts with grooves for wires when you can run a conductive path under the paint? :D). Even the multilayer thing doesn't seem new- a quick application of non-conductive paint or lacquer meant you could draw over the top of existing traces.

Or maybe it's just news because it's flexible? I've never tried to flex parts with conductive ink on.

19. Filippo Silver badge

sufficiently advanced technology

I want this to come in a quill and ink format, and working on scrolls.

20. Trollslayer
    Thumb Down

Check first

As others have said, there is nothing here that soudns any better than existing pens so why?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

I too...

Would like to point out that this has been available for years.

I have no prior knowledge of this, I just wanted to appear smug

22. M Gale

I was going to mention how conductive ink has been around for decades...

...but it seems a lot of other people have had the same idea. Instead I'll just say:

Ooh, I see this paywall doesn't send the whole article and depend on the browser behaving properly to stop you seeing it. Fancy that! Murdoch, take note please.

23. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I notice they're merkins ...

contrary to popular belief, merkia isn't always up to speed with technology. They may have invented autoflushing toilets, but didn't get teletext till the 1990s.

So I could easily believe they are unaware of the pens we've had for years to repair ciruit boards.

Their triumph is in selling it to the world as a US invention.

1. Aaron Em

Your US-punching reflex has led you astray

We've had conductive ink pens in the US for decades, too; the supposedly big deal here is that this one is flexible.

And who'd want teletext? Teletext is crap, barely even suitable for flushing down those automatic toilets y'all had to learn from us how to make. We got the *Web* in the 1990s.

2. It wasnt me
      Thumb Down

A mistake in your post.

"Their triumph is in selling it to the world as a US invention."

No, their triumph will be patenting it, then suing the rest of the manufacturers for infringment. Even though there is demonstrably 30 years of prior art.

24. Zog The Undeniable

How do we know

It won't turn into Terminator T-1000 in the bottle?

Oh, and good luck drawing a transistor, although you could probably make a resistor if you had a really fine nib.

25. Zog The Undeniable
    Boffin

More prior art

Who else overclocked their Socket A AMD Athlon using a 2B pencil to bridge the relevant contacts and allow the multiplier to be changed?

26. Jim Carter

We've all seen it before

But capacitors and resistors should be easy enough to mimic just by altering the width of the drawn line, right?

1. Pypes

maybe

At microwave frequencies (well, capacitors and inductors rather)

The idea of whipping out a pen and drawing a filter does seem pretty cool.

27. stratofish
    FAIL

RTFA

Not the same as the ones available for decades -

"Better still, the inky circuit path is flexible, allowing the surface it is drawn on to be deformed or folded without affecting performance."

As is hinted at in the title and more than once in the text.

1. ChrisC Silver badge
      FAIL

Fail yourself

Since the article doesn't make any mention of the existing pens/inks, it's incorrect to assume that any reference to the useful characteristics of this new pen/ink must therefore be an improvement over the existing ones - the way that paragraph was worded only suggested to me that having flexible ink is a nice to have feature for conductive ink above and beyond it merely being conductive, rather than a characteristic exclusive to this particular version of conductive ink.

And after one very quick Google reveals there are at least two European manufacturers of silver conductive ink pens useable on flexible substrates, it suggests these Merkin "boffins" really have done nothing more than reinvent a round load bearing device of use in the transportation industry...

28. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Boffin

On the other hand...

Have we finally arrived at the time whereby one can draw a circuit on one's fondleslab-of-choice, attach an input and an output, and have the circuit emulated in real time on live input?

Seems more useful - at least at audio frequencies - than windscreen heater repair gunk.

1. It wasnt me
      Thumb Down

No we havent.

At least not on the fondleslab of choice, should that be the ipad. Apple wont let you near the I/O.

Would be a nice toy on the USB ports of Android slabs though.

29. Nick Galloway
    Mushroom

Terror tool

So you are telling me that the Taliban and Al Qaeda can now make really high tech explosive devices using this fabulous little pen and empty toilet roll inners during the flight from here to who knows where. Yet another thing we won't be allowed to travel with in hand luggage!?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

>"So you are telling me"

No, that's the voices in your head.

30. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

draw yourself circuits. Talked about since at *least* the late 70's.

The conduction path is only *part* of the problem.

Note that in *theory* the inks (or rather a basis for development) exist in the thick film hybrid industry. Both resistive and insulating ones exist so screen printed resistors (and to a lesser extent) capacitors have been available for decades.

*But* the substrates have usually been rigid ceramic and the firing temperatures have been in the 700-800c range (not really home oven use. Not even SMT hot level).

No one ever seems to have *quite* got round to making a semiconductor ink, which would be the *key* bit to making active devices like transistors.

Zinc Oxide? Titanium Oxide? (fairly cheap and classed as non toxic but I'm sure it is a semi-conductor) Cadmium Sulfide or Selenide? The last too are pretty toxic but definitely are.

Mine would be the one with a rather elderly back copy of Practical Electronics in the pocket.

31. Graham Bartlett

Further fail

Rollerball. Oops.

Any pen with a ball nib (Bic biros upwards) requires significant friction on the writing surface to roll the ball. Smooth surface - no writing. Not very clever.

Oh, and GCM Roberts: whatever conductive stuff you're using needs to stay conductive while it's in the pen. The problem with copper is that it's highly reactive and forms a surface layer of (insulating) oxide within minutes. So your bits of copper are not going to be talking to each other. Silver is very unreactive (it takes months to get a decent layer of oxide), which gives you a reasonable shelf life for the stuff. Gold or platinum would be even better, of course, but that would be a bit more expensive.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old tech.

Been doing this for almost 20 years with products already available.

33. Gnoitall
    Trollface

This press release was a triumph

I'm making a note here -- HUGE SUCCESS

Of course, it's a triumph of public relations technology: the ability to re-announce 40-year-old technology and make the technical press believe it.

34. John F***ing Stepp

Transistors;

You can draw a Hall effect transistor (well some of it) in graphite.

Still need the magnetic source though (coil of wire around a thumb tack).

This is, of course, a very low frequency device.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Niche market ?

Load the ink into a tattoo artist's needle and perhaps you can create conductive designs on skin too.

This might be one way to solve the iPhone "grip of death" issue. Strapline borrowed from the Xbox Kinect: "You Are The Antenna"...

Possible drawbacks include increased risk of lightning strikes, and allergic reactions for werewolves.

36. Stevie

Bah!

Conductive paint has been around since I were a lad, and y' couldn't paint valves any more than y' can draw transistors wi' this bloody thing.

"Circuitry" indeed.

This topic is closed for new posts.