back to article MySpace sacks more

The social network everyone used before they found Facebook is expected to sack another 150 staff tomorrow. MySpace still employs 400 people in southern California, but it seems the rumours of slashing jobs has restarted rumours of an imminent buyout for the struggling site. The cuts, confirmed by the Washington Post, acting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Wild Bill
    Thumb Down

Deathbed

I suspect most employees at MySpace have been looking for new jobs for a while regardless.

Seriously, why would anyone be considering buying it? At this stage you're just paying for a domain name. The users all left ages ago and the recent attempt to remarket it towards bands seems to have just pissed all the bands I know off, and now they're all leaving.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

The joy...

....of Schadenfreude

> Murdoch paid $580m for MySpace back in 2005.

hehe

1. Anonymous Coward 101

Not as daft as...

...the $850 million AOL spent on Bebo in 2008, when it was clear Facebook was becoming dominant.

2. Steven Roper
      Thumb Up

I only wish

it had been ten times as much so it would bankrupt the bastard.

1. Marcus Aurelius
        Devil

You wish has not been granted

Although MySpace is in the shitter, I believe Murdoch has managed to make a profit from his investment over the years during its rundown

3. Ian Davies
    Thumb Down

Never understood it

Every MySpace page I ever visited looked like the drug-fuelled nightmares of eboy, and made me want to scrub my eyeballs with wire wool. I never understood why people *used* it, much less why anyone would want to buy it. An abomination that should not be mourned.

4. Zippy the Pinhead

last one to the door

Please turn off the lights.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That dead horse has been flogged so long they'll only recognise it by its dental records.

<body/>

6. Trev 2

3 things that say it's not improved

1) The front page can't even line up so if they can't do it, how on earth are their users ever going to create less than horrible pages?

2) When you "browse" it comes back with 3000 people and that it would seem is the userbase. Not exactly looking good on the numbers front.

3) Best of all is the "Connect with facebook" on the frontpage. If ever there was a sign of defeat. :)

7. Marcus Aurelius
    Angel

Myspace redux?

Having said how awful MySpace is currently, a good argument could be made for using it as a baseline to create a genuine rival to Facebook.

FaceBook obviously has issues and if MySpace converted itself into something with respect for the issues which Facebook fails on, then it could have a market space for itself.

1. kwikbreaks

There can be only one

With some things it seems there is room for only one. Why would somebody sign up and spend time on a revived MySpace when all their friends are on FaceBook?

Another possibly less valid example - why use a second tier auction site when, despite its many faults, eBay is where you'll sell quickest at the best price or most easily find what you want at a low price?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like