back to article MobileMe web app features shapeshift into Apple's iCloud

Apple confirmed late last week that various web apps currently locked into MobileMe will live on in the company's recently announced iCloud service. However, Cupertino is canning its iWeb publishing, Gallery and iDisk tools on 30 June 2012. The apps that will survive the death of Apple's unpopular MobileMe service include …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jai

shame

syncing the keychains and system prefs across my macs made life a lot easier, shame to see it go.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can anyone recommend......

1. A web host (don't really need my own domain)

2. An iDisk replacement with Finder integration.

I'm not too bothered about the Galleries - they had some nice touches but there are better places out there to present photos.

1. Richard Taylor 2
      Thumb Up

I would

recommend dropbox to replace iDisk.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dropbox

Is that the same Dropbox that took in any password (valid or not) for 4 hours last Sunday and gave access to all accounts? [1]

Sounds like a super professional place to put your files.

But for me, no thanks.

[1] http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/20/dropbox-security-bug-made-passwords-optional-for-four-hours/

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

If you're willing to pay

Try Runbox for web hosting and an FTP account. You can upload the awful code generated by iWeb via FTP.

On that point no doubt there will be no more versions of iWeb as it's reason for existing (.mac and MobileMeh) are also being canned, thus pushing the Apple ecosystem a little more towards media consumption toys instead of devices which can be used to create content.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

A1

I can only assume I was downvoted for "the awful code generated by iWeb".

It is awful by any standard and seems to be only tested in Safari to the extent that other family members with some versions of IE and Firefox had problems seeing photo albums, but I agree with other posters that iWeb is good for knocking out a site quickly.

Apple is also not the kind of company that doesn't supply complete end-to-end solutions so if they're not offering web space the chances are they'll happily knock iWeb on the head.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

MyDrive.ch

Swiss setup which hosts data and you can mount the drive in various ways.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame indeed

I'll really miss keychain sync. Managing the mass of certificates, keys and passwords is going to get a lot harder.

iWeb too - ok, so it wasn't particularly good, but it was a damned fast + inexpensive way of getting something online, which is what those of us with more important stuff to do appreciate :)

iDisk? Maybe it's time to try dropbox. Or find a basic text editor with iCloud support, because what I use it for most is storing all those little notes + documents that I need access to.

4. Graham 25
    Unhappy

Darn.....

Dropbox is great, as long as you only want one Dropbox accessible (or two at a push) as folders, at a time. I work with several clients simultaneously and it was great to access each others iDisk storage areas to keep stuff completely separate

How do I have several folders on my desktop with access to other clients individual 'Dropbox' style storage areas, without iDisk ?

iWeb is bu**ger - as has been said, quick and easy to use for us who have better things to do than code, so any bright sparks know of an equivalent as time is not being marked.

5. Jim Benn
    Thumb Up

Let me get this straight, . . .

The three things that tie my phone to my computer AND me to Apple are going to be discontinued. Right ? So when it comes to getting a new Android phone, the main worries I had are no longer there. My great like for the Jesus phone was that ALL the Apple "data" was tied and accessible across all of Apple's platforms. Something I didn't really want to lose. Plus the "Mac" web site, and having a Photo Gallery up there was kinda cool. [I built a LOT of web sites, the iWeb one was the FIRST time in under an hour!]

If all the COOL is leaving Apple's site, (Mac, Me, or iCloud), and I can't trust them to be STABLE, I should just jump to Google. Google's BETA lasts longer than Apple's PRODUCTION.

HELL, THANKS STEVE !!!! You just made life easier !!! He DOES keep his promises !! :-)

6. Ed 11

iWeb

Am I not right in thinking that iWeb can very happily publish to FTP servers? Hence all one needs to do to continue using the iWe software is sign up to some free or cheap web host and continue as before?

I'm happy to be proven wrong but I'm sure I saw an FTP option when I last had a play with iWeb, albeit that was a long time ago.

1. Tim Miller
      Thumb Down

iWeb to FTP

No, you're right - I publish three websites via FTP using iWeb. Worked excellently, and I don't suppose it'll stop. But I'm worried this will mean they're not going to develop it further, which means at some point it'll cease to be compatible with the operating system ...

1. KroSha

Development

iWeb is still a part of iWork, so I'd expect it to be continued along with the rest of the package. You just have to publish to a separate webhost via FTP.

1. O RLY

re: Development

iWeb is actually part of iLife, not iWork. I do hope the application survives the death of the eponymous service.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so...

Still no news on the sole useful part of MobilMe, the Find my Phone system, the only reason to subscribe to MobileMe in the first place, since all the other services are more consumately delivered by better people

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Find my iPhone is still there.

There is, on the Apple transition guide thing linked in the article. Find my iPhone is part of the iCloud service.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

possibly not fail

Ah, you're making the mistake of assuming that all transitioning services in the iCloud cater for all iPhones?

Looks like it'll only be for anything after the 3GS

Apple are using this to force a hardware upgrade?

2. RichyS
      Go

No need to subscribe

The 'Find my iWhatever' is now free for all users of iDevices. No need to be a subscriber to MobileMe. And it's not going anywhere after the introduction of iCloud either.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

It's still there

There is, on the Apple transition guide thing linked in the article. Find my iPhone is part of the iCloud service.

9. Blue Pumpkin
    Thumb Up

iWeb replacement

I use Sandvox from Karelia - its like iWeb but slightly more flexible and the generated code is better.

It also publishes to any ftp site as well.

Sure you have to pay, but £30 over the last 5 years is not really a lot - including all updates during that time.

10. Bill Coleman
    Gimp

golden handcuffs

it's going to be pretty easy to tangle yourself in this web of iStuff, but I pity average joe's when he decides he wants to move to andriod and buy a pc and can't figure out where all his files are. it's an insidious trap! you have to give credit where it's due.

The storm crow in me is seriously worried about security though.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like