back to article Orange spreads Glasto goofery to t-shirts

Orange has outdone itself with its traditional Glastonbury green-tech, this year touting a t-shirt which generates power from the gig itself and provides enough to charge a mobile phone. The t-shirt uses a piezoelectric panel to convert vibrations into voltage, which is accumulated in a battery which can then be used to charge …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Calthrop
    Thumb Up

still...

quite clever though no?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: still

Clever ??

In PR/advertising terms yes.

In technical terms not so much.

(we need a cynical icon) Gotwind appear to spend a great deal of time producing gimmicky greenwashing stunts for orange.

2. Alvar
    Facepalm

So if you stand next to a speaker all weekend

You'll be able to recharge the phone you can't hear any more !!

3. SynicNZ

What sort of power level would you get if you

hung it/them out on the washing line?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why the pretence ?

Glastonbury is about as "green" as using a humongous 4x4 to travel down the shops, leaving the engine running while you pop into the shops to buy a jacket made of panda skin.

To top it off: U2 headline.

(could the tossiness of "Glasto" be the only subject to unite genuine greenies and the Clarkson brigade ? Lets see .... )

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Megaphone

Re: Why the pretence ?

Most of the energy is used getting there and back again. The Festival is the catalyst yes but not solely its own problem e.g. improved public transport, car shares, more efficient vehicles, etc. Public transport for me this year! :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why the pretence ?

"Most of the energy is used getting there and back again."

And that somehow makes a difference ?

Thousands of people making unnecessary journeys is something greens usually criticize.

U2 and all their kit, and their entourage and bono's hat will no doubt be arriving by bus.

Glastonbury looks like good fun, a bit of a jolly but not, by any stretch of the imagination remotely ecologically friendly.

Why pretend ?

5. Paul Barnard
    Happy

Rain powered water wheel

What they really need is a water wheel generator driven by rain. The ideal power source for Glastonbury. It will continue to work even when you are flat on your back comatose from over indulgence of the substance of your choice, unlike the wellies that actually needed you to move.

6. Pypes
    Angel

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh

You know your average green consumer has no concept of Watt-Hours or embodied energy, lets not spoil their smug self-righteous fun.

7. Naughtyhorse

next year.....

what ever they come up with, i hope you can shit in it, cos all the portapotties will be at t'limpics

8. Sean Foreman
    Happy

great ....

if you don't mind looking like a teletubbie

9. ElNumbre
    Stop

Glastonbury 2012

Glasto 2012 isn't scheduled to happen, it's their year off. So OrangeEverywhere have two years to develop something that actually works.

10. The Beer Monster
    Facepalm

Green?

Surely the only green here is the stuff Orange have been smoking whilst at Glasto,..

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually this could work

Rather than taking a weekend to charge, you could just wear a *lot* of t-shirts and reduce charging time appropriately.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Side benefit

Now when I yell obscenities at my mobile I can just tell people that I'm topping off the battery.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like