back to article Careless tweets cost lives, warns MoD

The Ministry of Defence has knocked together a couple of videos warning just how a careless tweet or unguarded Facebook comment could end up with someone on the wrong end of an AK-47. The MoD accepts social networking sites are "great for keeping in touch with family and friends, and letting the world know what you’re up to", …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TheRead
    Black Helicopters

Trust no one

Everyone everywhere is out to get you. Don't talk to strangers, don't meet new people, your neighbor is a terrorist, report everything to the police, stay inside and just pray you even wake up in the morning

What a load.

1. durandal
      Paris Hilton

Really?

If you're in the forces/MoD, you'd be right to be naturally a little more cautious.

The take home message I got was 'don't assume that all your acquaintances know what is and is not for general consumption and tailor your internet use accordingly'.

Note that this is aimed at MoD personnel, not Joe Public, who have access to certain materials and could, without intent, let something slip that is useful for certain n'er do-wells.

That said, there are a few people who should think twice about what they post in t'internets. Obvious icon is obvious.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

No, you need to be aware of your responsibilities..

I worked at MoD sites, and the kind of chatter you can pick up by having breakfast in the nearby hotels is scandalous. All the external consultants talk about their work like the Official Secrets Act doesn't exist - which shows they aren't worth their clearance.

If you work with any kind of protected information, health records, personal information bank records, government information, whatever, you MUST be aware of the appropriate discretion or you should not be doing the work. Even if your personal life is itemised by the minute on twitter, the information you are handling at work isn't yours, and you should pay that information the trust it requires and deserves.

On the flip side, this also means you can DEMAND that care with your information when you hand it off. The moment you accept lower standards, those will become the new standards..

3. El Cid Campeador
      Alert

OPSEC is OPSEC

Like it or not, there ARE people out to get uniformed personnel. In addition, while the little bit of information you hand out may be insignificant, when taken in context with all the insignificant bits of information everyone else is letting slip, the bad guys can get a surprisingly complete picture they shouldn't have....

And that doesn't even get into the issue of systems getting infected by dodgy social networking games...

Silence is golden.

2. mattaw
    Thumb Up

... surprisingly good, actually

When I arrived at the article I had the preconceived notion that this was going to be another god-awful PR campaign.

Actually it is pretty good. Having been part of the Royal Navy it is incredible what useful information you can pick up by simply listening these days, either electronically or in real life. Complete force deployments and readiness states, etc. etc.

Consider that the lessons of fighting in Northern Ireland are so quickly thrown aside (NB I am not judging who was in the right - just if you want to fight smart guerrillas, beware!)

M

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

PrimedD Object Subliminal

The genie is out of the bottle, Lester. And social networking is a multi-bladed sword with every opportunity to relay SMART IntelAIgents Instructions Sublimely.

No NSL is good .... so proving that things can't be at all bad and may probably be also brilliant. :-)

4. Roger Stenning
    Big Brother

Anyone remember the...

"HISsssss" videos? The more things change, the more they stay the same...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was trying to work out

who was the terrorist in the second video.

6. Kynth
    Black Helicopters

Keep calm and carry on

Loose Tweets sink Fleets

1. Solomon Emmanuel Goldstien
      Big Brother

Loose Sheep Sink… oh, nevermind…

Ooooo! "Loose Tweets Sink Fleets"

Catchy, eh? Indeed.

7. Old Handle
    Coat

Loose tweets sink fleets!

Or would that be an exaggeration?

1. MrCheese
      Mushroom

Facebook targeted mortar attacks anyone

Before you bunch of cynics start writing this off as some big-brother-make-work BS cast your minds back only a few months when the Taliban were launching mortar attacks on allied bases as a result of forces personel posting geo-tagged data to Facebook.

It's already happeneing so yes, this is necessary and maybe the naysayers should enage brain before mouth once in a while.

8. MeRp

Obviously...

In the second video the lady is so happy to see her visitor, it must be her other son, who is in a SWAT team... he's always so busy, she's just happy he could come to visit, even if it did have to be during a quick lunch break.

9. TheRead

Perhaps a more appropriate message then...

We all remember the time Bin Ladin managed to escape his assassination because of the following tweet:

@osama b @ ur crib c u 2morrow nite --Navy Seal #geronimo #raid

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Careless tweets cost careers

It might become public that a badly equpped and badly led army regularly ignores national and international laws without anybody getting punished, unless the press gets wind. Even then, nobody ever gets done for war crimes, but somebody might have to take the blame and move to a private security firm. Can't have that!

11. SisterClamp
    Mushroom

Lost on me...

...because I could hardly understand what the two young women are saying! Don't they have elocution lessons in British schools, or are the teachers now literally mind-readers?

As for "It may not just be friends and family reading your status updates", please to remember that that definitely includes members of several government intelligence agencies. Makes you wonder who the real terrorists are.

12. PDC
    Mushroom

Exploding Ketchup

One of the highlights of summer camp as an Air Cadet was watching security videos on day one of camp. Back then they seemed so poorly acted that they were amusing to a 13 year old. My favourite was the exploding Heinz Ketchup bottles, delivered straight to the mess by Paddy and his brother, Paddy.

13. El Cid Campeador
    Paris Hilton

Nice accessorizing

I wanna dance with an assault rifle! And bandoleers! Please?

Paris cuz she knows the value of cool accessories.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like