back to article Next-gen Xbox to debut at next year's E3

Microsoft is a year away from major announcements concerning the Xbox 360's successor, it has been claimed. A "high ranking industry source" at Far Cry developer Crytek confirmed that a new Timesplitters game is in development, VideoGamer reports, and reckons Microsoft will announce the Xbox followup at E3 next year. Blimey, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Citizen Kaned

poor nintendo

just got excited then they will get crushed....

hazard a bet that ps4 and xbox 720 will be twice as powerful (or more) than the wii2. i also think sony are doing their magic wand tech better than nintendo.

lets just hope sony dont drop the ball with a system thats hard to develop on, not that im sure i would go with sony this next time. its just easier and better for backwards compatibility (unless they drop it again).

1. Chad H.
      Facepalm

Um...

So were looking at a machine 3G the PS3 based on what exactly?

2. Brian 6
      Meh

@Citizen Kaned

"hazard a bet that ps4 and xbox 720 will be twice as powerful (or more) than the wii2. i also think sony are doing their magic wand tech better than Nintendo..." Yeah but they will also be (at least) twice the price of the new Nintendo. Pluss theres the fact that the new Nintendo will be on the market a lot sooner than anything from microsoft or Sony. And being less powerful never hurt the sales of the current Nintendo.

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Hmmm....

Much as I have enjoyed the 360, can't say I really play it enough to warrant buying a new one. One thing will come out of it, the current 360 and it's games will drop off in price and there should be some nice bargains on the world famous "tat market". I might buy more games for it as I only own 5 at the moment!

3. karl 15
    Thumb Up

Good news for us pc gamers too

This is good news, now it will be the PC playing catchup with the new xbox, so we will see true next gen PC games

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

PCs will always be ahead

The console designs will be be pretty much set in stone 6-12 months before they launch. Even if they used the very latest tech they would be well behind PCs within 6 months of launch. There is always faster memory, CPUs, GPUs etc. be released so PCs are always ahead.

But graphics isn't everything. I own two quite high end PCs, (i7 920 and i950, 12gb ram with Nvidia 580s) and I rarely use them for gaming. I just prefer the PS3 games over most of what is available on PC and certainly more than anything available on XBox

1. Goat Jam

I just prefer the PS3 games over most of what is available on PC

So, you're not into FPS or RTS games then, eh?

1. MJI Silver badge

PS3 has its own FPS as well as multiplatform

No problem really!

1. Goat Jam
            FAIL

Sigh

Yes, I am aware that PS3 purports to have FPS games.

I am also aware that if one does not like games that require autoaim assistance to compensate for the fundamentally crappy console controllers then you are SOL.

I bet you are a twenty something or younger.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

FPS yes, RTS not anymore

Yes I know everyone says that FPS games are better on PC but I just hate using a mouse and keyboard. I've been using controllers for PC games since the era of Apple ][, long before mice came about. I've got a box in the garage that probably contains a good portion of the history of gaming controllers. God knows how much I spent on all the flight sim controls over the years.

Sure the mouse is more accurate for aiming, but the keyboard just sucks for movement, unless you prefer your movement control to be binary rather than analog. Something like the Splitfish Frag FX line gives you the best of both worlds.

And after more than a decade of RTS games I got bored of them and wanted something new.

4. DEAD4EVER
    FAIL

next gen console

sorry but i think il pass on anything thats microsoft that includes the next xbox console il be happy to see a ps4 though and if sony do a deal where you can trade your ps3 in for a ps4 like say get 150 nocked off the ps4 il snap it up. so sorry microsoft but you let me down with your rrod and subsciptions il pass il never touch microsoft ever again

1. Rob Moir
      WTF?

Perspective

So you feel Microsoft let you down with the RROD (and God knows you should, not defending them here) but you apparently don't feel let down over Sony's insecure handling of customer data on the PSN, rootkits on music CDs, etc?

1. SteveBalmer
        FAIL

Pathetic.

Rootkits on Music CDs?

I'm not even going to bother telling you how much of a cretin you are. That was 10 years ago and was nothing to so with Sony and Playstation....

thats akin to saying I'm not buying Xbox as someone that once worked at Microsoft ran over a cat.....

5. MJI Silver badge
    Happy

About time for MS and Sony

Proper 1920x1080p

Decent sized HDDs

Decent sized optical drives (Xbox catch PS3?)

Will be interesting to see the generation 8 consoles.

Not sure how much of an advance they will be though

6. OrsonX
    Paris Hilton

XBox720

A logical name choice, but it instantly makes me think, why isn't it full HD?

XBox1080 maybe? [or will that be the next one?]

Paris, 'cause she's confused too (or will be)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Lots of rumours going around

See above and are there are lots of denials going around also, tbh I don't see a new xbox till 2014 - 2015, doesn't make sense when the 360 is still selling well and the slims just came out last year.

Gives enough time to bury the RROD shame properly out of the public mindset and make sure the xbox name carries little or no unwanted baggage.

It wouldn't surprise me if they are working on prototypes, and playing around with ideas, but I don;t see full games development at the moment.

8. jarjarbinks
    Thumb Up

Specs of next gen Xbox...

I would suspect that the next gen console not due out for at least two years, but probably being planned and by early 2012 being built, would include at least an 8 core if not 16 core cpu of some sort.. probably the AMD chip. If the Trinity APU chipset includes their new Bulldozer 16-core chip and their advanced ATI DirectX 11 chip.. it would not be surprising to see something of that magnitude show up in the next console. Figure that they'll aim for the $400 to $700 range.. especially given the price of tablets and how many people are snapping those up for $500 or so a pop. I would suspect at least 2GB of RAM and a 1 TB or larger HD. No doubt they'll be using some variety of Windows 8 OS.. although maybe they'll stick with a Windows 7 as by then it's well supported/tested.

9. SteveBalmer
    Thumb Down

If it's a rushed/bodged mess like the last one.

forget it...

I really can't comprehend how gamers can defend Microsoft for rushing out the current Xbox, knowing full well it was broken, but putting "first to market to lock in users" above everything else.

Most Xbox owners I know are on at least their 3rd paid-for replacement (excluding a raft of warranty replacements) just to get functionality that PS3 owners had since launch (I hear there is a new Xbox Slim coming soon, that finally supports proper (stereoscopic) 3D using current HDMI 1.4 like the PS3).

1. Rob Moir

PS3 features vs. xbox features

At least Microsoft's updates typically add capabilities to the box, not remove them (Other OS, anybody?). And I think a few Sony boxen have had hardware issues too.

Seems to me that arguing that one side is "indefensible" and implying that the other side is somehow better because of that shows a very serious case of selective vision. Both the xbox and the PS3 have skeletons in the cupboard.

1. SteveBalmer
        Paris Hilton

Errm

Nobody cared about (or used) OtherOS. Anyone that claims otherwise clearly knows nothing about it.

The PS3 OtherOS removal "campaign" was basically a hate campaign against Sony, nothing to do with OtherOS at all. Basically a Pro-American, virtal Hate Sony/buy XBox campaign that got out of hand (or exceeded expectations in Microsoft's terms).

Anyone that can't see that, and basically got sucked into it all, is an idiot. Paris, as even she is not THAT stupid.

1. Fisher39

OOPps

I'm as stupid as Paris then 'cos all O see is a hypythosis based on an opinion based on guess based on an interpretation based on a particular world view that invents an anit-Sony conspiracy

Sorry Steve/Carole/Mark I'm sorry that your idol has feet of clay but then since I regard both consoles as disposable consumer gadgets rather than graven images I don't give an f either way.

2. Brian 6
        Meh

@Rob Moir

"At least Microsoft's updates typically add capabilities to the box, not remove them (Other OS, anybody?)." the answer to that question was NO. Hence the feature was removed.

2. Fisher39

I'll wait and see

Personally I'll evaluate the new XBox on it's merits and make a decision based on what it actually is. I have an XBox but no brand loyallty and if Sony meets my needs better it's a PS4 for me.

However, readin between the lines, and call me over sensitive if ya like, I get the impression that Steve/Mark/Carole has already made his mind up that an unnaonounced machine made by Sony is better than an unnanounced machine made by Microsoft. Which to my limited undertsanding is as intellectually barren as the other way round.

Open to correction tho

1. Rob Moir

No you're right

Making buying decisions about products that are pure vapourware is madness, you're totally right.

It reminds me of the idiotic mac fanboys* on their rumour sites that whip themselves up into a frenzy over some feature they've all decided ought to be in the next version of some apple product then castigate Apple for "withdrawing it" when the new product turns out never to have had this rumoured thing all along. People are crazy.

(* and before any idiotic mac fanboys castigate me for being a "wintard" over this statement, I'm telling you now that I probably own more Apple gear than the average mac fanboy)

10. pixie lott's g-string
    Facepalm

nonsense

it will not be out until 2014 at the earliest, why would they annouce it next year when sales are still decent for the 360?

and it won't be called the 720, that names probably come from the accounts department...how utterly rubbish..

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Xbox 1080 would be a better name. It already sounds quite "skatery" and trendy.

Ties in with HD resolution.

As for the PC gaming. Maybe if the next generation console costs £1500 and 6 months later your games wont run because you need another £200 upgrade, then we can compare PCs with consoles.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@SteveBallmer

Grow up you sad little fanboy. In case you didn't notice theres been two versions of the PS3 as well.

Then theres the hack incident, pathetic online support which has taken them endless updates to get up to a decent standard, removal of Linux, and so it goes on. The fact is that it took Sony an extra year and a much more expensive product to end up with a console which when it comes to actual GAMES is pretty much the same to the point that most folk couldn't tell the difference between the same game on both consoles if their life depended on it. Also for the year I had my 360 after release you must've still been playing on a PS2 so really whos the chump?

Honestly, I have to ask, whats the loyalty to a major corporation (any of them) when all they ALL want is your money, they don't actually give a monkeys about you so why care about them and defend them more than you'd defend your own mother? Do you work for them? Did they give you a bung?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like