back to article Video vigilantes in trouble again

Video vigilante service Internet Eyes is in trouble with data protection regulators again. Internet Eyes streams CCTV footage from shops to its network of users who watch the live feeds from their home computer. Keen-eyed noseyparkers can then hit an alert button if they spot a shoplifter. This information is then texted back …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rovindi
    Mushroom

Title? Mmmm, always fancied a peerage...

Let me get something straight - you watch 60 hours of intensley dull material and are paid ONE POUND FIFTY? 8 days work, 7.5 hours p/d, for 1.50

Fuck a blue pig. That is insane. People actually pay to register and then get "rewarded" in this way.

Wow

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

One pound fifty ?

I expect your PC can earn that without you having to watch it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: Title? Mmmm, always fancied a peerage...

Hey, that's 2.5p and hour, times are hard you know! And if you put the effort in you might get a £1000 bonus. Where do I sign......

3. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

Why not?

It worked for Big Brother, and you weren't even paid

4. Sam Therapy
      Coffee/keyboard

Upvoted your post

Mainly for "fuck a blue pig". Funniest thing I've heard all week. I will nick it.

2. Thomas 18
    Devil

hah

Nice business model, scamming shmucks almost as effectively as the national lottery

3. oldredlion
    Holmes

A person's CCTV image is their personal data

"The law says that it should only be disclosed where necessary, such as for the purposes of crime detection, and not merely for entertainment."

If that's the case, what is the position on CCTV footage appearing in a national newspaper if the person involved is merely drunk and not breaking the law?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3624317/Drunks-amazing-tumble-on-CCTV-after-Savoy-awards-bash.html

1. The BigYin

There may be more to it

That bloke fell over in a public place.

The inside of a shop is not public.

Did I just defend The Sun? I feel dirty.

2. Marvin the Martian
      Megaphone

It explains why CCTV is usually so rubbish...

For privacy reasons, CCTV images must be made unrecognizable? Kind of defeats the purpose, as evidence in a court of law.

3. jubtastic1

Jebus

That looks an awfully lot like me, I'll have to show that to the missis later.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wait what

". A person's CCTV image is their personal data. "

That doesn't sound good - does that mean a photograph you take of a group of people is their personal data? Does it mean to do some video recording in public I need to get consent of everyone who wonders by? I am concerned. Does it mean the old bill can get right back on their "You're taking pictures? You got a pass for that buddy?" Stickt?

5. SirTainleyBarking
    WTF?

Post anonymously?

"The law says that it should only be disclosed where necessary, such as for the purposes of crime detection, and not merely for entertainment"

Well thats Police, Camera action and all the other clones of, that infest late night TV stuffed then

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and

The news, sporting events, our own eyes whilst walking down the street, anything else that might have a persons face where the person hasn't expressly given permission.

6. sebacoustic
    Pint

@oldredlion

Would guess that Murdoch paid the recovering alcoholic a fee in return for an "I won't sue you" legal letter. The video is worth lots for the Sun, they can afford it.

Or: they paid an actor to mime it in the first place, it looks too good to be real.

1. oldredlion
      Happy

"they paid an actor"

The Sun? Make something up? You lie! :)

It does look good though and I don't know the source (private or public camera) and whether that makes a difference to the CCTV rules or if it's one of those "a big company can get away with it" things that seems to control much of the UK.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"A person's CCTV image is their personal data"

No it isn't...And even if it was then it doesn't matter as the law against personal "data" being shared is very clear that it has to be Personally Identifiable Information...So number plates for cars and faces of people don't count...

But my car plate and face are unique i hear you cry...Well yes they are, but you cannot find out any other information about that person or car with just their face / number plate. You need to use other means to do so, making a persons face and number plate none identifiable to them as a single data source.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

But the real question is being ignored.

Why aren't these people being prosecuted for running a massive minimum-wage-violation scam? As far as I can see their "members" are doing the same kind of security monitoring job that is normally done by paid personnel in a control center. The law is very clear on this.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like