back to article E3 2011: the showstoppers

2011's Electronic Entertainment Expo in LA set the world alight with inklings of a new console war and more titles on display than a brimful bookshop. Aside from hordes of dribbling fanboys and/or overweight sweaty men, the common theme this year was cross-platform playability and revamps of old franchises. The latter does …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. EvilGav 1

Errrr . . .

. . . BF3 announced something akin to Call of Duty Elite ??

Surely you mean "EA announced that BF3 will have the same statistical analysis available as BF2 did 6 years ago".

Or even that some of us have been ripping the log files from our CoD servers and creating Elite style databases for a number of years.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bioshock infinity

Enjoyed the first Bioshock, the 2nd was more of the same, but I thought infinitity wasn't going to have big daddies in, as it was set skyward?

Other than that, a lot of sequels to existing games, but not a lot of innovation. Excluding possibly the WiiU which couldn't run under it's own steam, has a controller like a Dreamcasts but will eat up batteries every couple of hours.

3. Bailey
    Meh

Use the Kinect, Luke...

After 10 minutes on Child of Eden, I'm actually starting to think Star Wars Kinect could work.

Still, that 10 minutes also showed Nintendo Thumb ain't got nothing on Kinect Arm!

4. Studley

Where were they hoarding the fanboys?

That'll be "hordes", then. /grammarnazi

1. Gordon 10
      Happy

technically

Spelling Nazi.

From the Comment Nazi :)

5. Mand

Farcry not from Crytek

Farcry 3 is being developed by Ubisoft Montreal, not Crytek. The latter only developed the first game in the series.

6. Rob 9

tit-le

"For now, though, the impetus is with 3DS, which will be awash with games in 2010."

Wow. I can't wait for 2010 then...

7. karl 15
    Facepalm

Hope i'm wrong

I so wan't BF3 to be a gfx and game-play upgrade to the PC BF2, but who are we PC owners kidding... it's just one more xbox game... small maps, low ram usage, low CPU/gpu usage, but will struggle on my i7 960 :(

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Same thing here

The videos for BF3 are simply stunning, no contest from me. However, I'll wait for the reviews to find out if :

- coop with bots still stupidly limited

- single player map size still stupidly limited

- no personal stats on private servers

- LAN ability severely restricted without Internet connection to control it

The basic question is : has EA understood the value of the fanbase and will EA embrace it this time around ? Because they certainly didn't before.

So if I see that they still haven't this time around, well I'm sorry but I'll pass, however tempting the title may seem.

Why, you may ask ? Because multiplayer is only good with friends. The larger Internet multiplayer environment is much too full of morons and griefers to amuse me. I'd rather play with bots.

Lots of 'em.

1. Citizen Kaned

eh?

- coop with bots still stupidly limited

- single player map size still stupidly limited

neither of those are BF. BF has always been online only unless you want to kill some bots for training.

what bothers me more is:

no commander

4 man squads

easy sniping still being in

no command rose

it sounds more like bfbc3 more and more each day.. just with 64 players. unfortunately consoles are seriously holding gaming back these days. better gfx but dumbed down easy gameplay for the masses :( at least they are having some guts and not limiting the PC to the piss-poor 24 player count. yeah, 24 players is really a battle isnt it? its a light skirmish at best

i still think bf2143 would be a much better game as bf2142 was loads more fun that anything they've done.

8. Si 1
    Happy

Mirror's Edge 2??!!

I really hope there is a Mirror's Edge 2 in the works, the first is one of my favourite games of this generation. Hopefully switching the engine won't change the over-saturated and colourful look of the first.

9. SpaMster
    FAIL

Mirrors edge 2?

Is it just me, or is the mirrors edge 2 screenshot just a screenshot from the first game?

10. AndrewG
    Unhappy

So, nothing much new then

More same-as-before sequels than a hollywood cinema season with everybody in the xbox stream trying to leverage Kinect (no matter if it makes sense or not) while Nintendo goes ahead and rips out whatever made the wii so special.

Oh and Sony is pushing for people to buy HD TV's...never would have guessed.

Ho Hum

About the only thing that actually shows some potential is Star Wars: Old replublic and thats probably only becasue Sony botched it the first time round.

11. Atonnis

Star Wars Kinect?

I know I haven't seen much of it, I just saw a video of two guys playing Star Wars Kinect...but it looked really quite dreadful to me. Maybe I missed something but where was the motion beyond silly 'pushing'-type arm waves? One guy only seemed to be able to move by headbutting the air.

Maybe I missed something, but it looks like a dreadful waste to me.

Here's waiting for the non-Kinect remakes of X-Wing and TIE Fighter.,,

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like