back to article BT, TalkTalk seek leave to appeal DEA ruling

BT and TalkTalk are seeking leave to appeal a ruling on four points relating to their challenge to the Digital Economy Act, after their legal gambit against it failed last month. In April, an effort by the two telecom companies to derail the copyright infringement portions of the DEA was thrown out by the High Court in London …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DJV Silver badge
    Devil

Go BT!

Bloody hell - can't believe I actually said that about the useless, Phorm-loving, money-grabbing bastards. But between BT and the DEA it's definitely a case of the "lesser of two weasels" (or something like that).

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Meh

Why not use the ECHR ruling?

That whatever UK legislation (as passed by the Dark Lord himself) might say European legislation takes precedence.

That is all.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Title? What title?

BT are just covering their pimply bottoms. You don't think they actually CARE about their customers, do you? They just don't want to be sued (or rather sue-able) by the MAFIAA®. I don't really blame 'em either, but it's not the magnanimous gesture some people think it is.

If every BT customer got an offshore VPN account, then downloaded 24/7 anonymously from the Pirate Bay, BT would be blissfully happy, as long as it got paid and no sign of "illegal" activity was actually visible on its network. In anticipation that most BT customers probably WON'T be that discreet, BT needs to make sure it's not made the fall guy for my - ahem - other people's, er, indiscretions.

Disclaimer: Being a Pirate® is very, very naughty. Yaaarrr.

--

Paris, because she doesn't care about covering her arse.

4. Carl_Barron

This could well lead to thousands of counter ‘Law Suits’

Governments need be very aware as to the full implications, as this could well lead to thousands of counter ‘Law Suits’ as the Legal System relies only on prosecution evidence via proof of illegal downloading of either copyright material or any illegal content. Google Street View has clearly demonstrated how easy it is to gain access to almost anyone’s Wireless Networks by third parties by accessing accounts and retrieving data. Hence the vulnerabilities are well known and documented.

Recently the Daily Mail carried a report as to how easy it is to hack into passwords in just 15 minutes date 27th May 2011. This further proves the vulnerabilities.

Signed Carl Barron chairman of agpcuk

1. Jim Morrow
      IT Angle

cracking wireless networks for fun, profit and privacy

well if the daily heil says so, i suppose it must be true, mustn't it?

did they link this to a cancer scare, house prices, illegal immigrants or some combination of these?

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Coat

DEA angle?

Here in the USA we read the title with a somewhat more interesting twist...

OK, I'll get my coat ... it's the one with the half pond of weed in the pocket.

1. Andrew 16

Ponds. And other measurements.

Half pond of weed. Is this another new measurement unit?.

Roughly how big is a pond?.

1. Badvok
        Coat

Pond?

She's about 5'11 I believe.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like