back to article Ofcom awards fastest 3G mobe-data crown to O2

Ofcom's report on mobile broadband shows O2 has the UK's fastest 3G network, and Orange the slowest, but highlights that coverage matters a lot more than speed. Taking average download speeds over a three-month period, O2 comes in just under 3Mb/sec, while Orange languishes at half that – nearer the overall average speed of 1. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

O2 best mobile data network?

Yeah, when it works.

My experience moving to o2 from three has been awful. Terrible coverage, flakey connections and significantly slower.

2. miknik

Orange do mobile broadband?

My handset must be blacklisted or something then, I struggle to get more than a few kb/sec most of the time. Then there are the countless customers who can't open the pdf I sent them because the file is corrupt once Orange have had their hands on it. I rue the day I left O2.

1. Jason Hall

@miknik

I would agree with everything above - except swap leaving o2 for leaving 3.

1. Reading Your E-mail
        Unhappy

Seconded

Yep, Whilst two cups and string outperform O2, playing pictionary to transmit your data blows orange into the weeds, if it even plays at all.

Contract up soon thank $diety$ then back to 3 with a Galaxy S2 to boot :)

3. Ministry of Truth

All the more reason to be pissed off...

...with the Orange/T-Mobile merger...

T-mobile was tolerable before that, but since the merger quality has dropped off a cliff.

It's getting vaguely better now, but it's still only by comparison, and let's be honest, it's still shite.

Would be very interested to see the performance of Giff Gaff, Tesco, Virgin etc to see if the network sharing/white labelling makes much of a difference?

I'll be interested to see how many shills turn up to rah rah rah about Orange/T-mobile, and I'm confident people will give them the scorn they deserve...

4. b-a-r-k-i-n-g-m-a-d
    Alert

In the real world...

In the real world it's coverage that matters - no point having 3Mbit/s next to a cell tower but no signal where you live. I travel around the country quite a lot and have a SIM for each network - in my (rather non scientific) tests I find Vodafone and Three are typically the best for overall coverage and speed. T-Mobile is next and O2 and Orange the worst. Orange coverage is generally ok but often much slow - i.e. basic 3G rather than 3.5G.

5. Real Name

Coverage

Are these results just from London?

I'd love that lovely speed here up in Telford... It's not like we are in the sticks... We're a bloody town. Biggest in shropshire... cmon!

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

3G on o2?

Yeah I had that once.

7. FL1X
    FAIL

are you sure?

i was on o2 for 4 years in 3 different CITIES in the UK and never once did i get decent speeds! i moved to Vodafone and now live in the sticks and i get decent 5/6Mbs every day! (according to the speed test app on the iphone)

so i disagree with ofcom, anyone surprised by that?

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Maybe O2's network is faster...?

Maybe O2's network is faster now since they lost the exclusivity for the iPhone - but when I had my iPhone with them it was dreadful almost everywhere I went.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Ofcom - sponsored by O2?

Ofcom - sponsored by O2?

O2 worked fine in London but as soon as you dare to venture out you get poor signal for voice and data. Used to get loads of dropped calls and slow 3G. Switched to Vodafone = far better and SureSignal (femtocells) mean you get great coverage at home (even if their main network does not reach).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Re: 3G on O2

Yeah, I had that once too. Unfortunately the network is so overloaded in many areas that I have to FORCE 2G on my Android Smart phone just to be able to receive calls and text messages. It's a laugh. I've ordered myself a Vodafone SIM card to see how their data network differs from O2's.

I've been a loyal O2 customer for 6 years. I think it's about time I changed...

11. nigel 15
    Dead Vulture

my post deleted

my post correcting 'O2 comes in just under 3MB/sec' to 'O2 comes in just under 3Mb/sec' and saying that the reg should know better was never shown :(

it is customary to thank people for correcting your articles, not censor them.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

coincidence ?

Is it a coincidence that this week El Reg have been running O2 adverts on the front page, and then on the Thursday they announce they have a positive spin story about them?

Should I put my tin foil hat on now?

13. paul-m-w72

O2... you goto to be kiddin

I used to have an o2 dongle and was getting 1 - 1.3mbps

now i am with 3 im gettijng over 6

her is the speedtest info

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1313012503.png

14. Paul Shirley
    FAIL

O2 - no coverage,high latency, no throughput. But good fake numbers ;)

Ditto all the coverage comments - O2 have the worst coverage of all, I carry a "3" SIM for emergencies.

The speed claims don't match what I see. Out here in the suburbs I get good 3.5G and high *sustained* throughputs. But the latency is so poor browsing is near unusable and the image compression is shocking. In the city I get great signal strength, great rated connection speed but no actual throughput at all for extended periods of time.

At the best of times the latency on O2 is terrible and seriously harms browsing, at worst - well I've seen 30second latency occasionally and 5-10s is fairly common in the city (why throughput is so poor). I've had browsing sessions run faster on 2G than 3G at times, thanks to that shitty 3G latency.

What they measured has fsck all to do with what users actual need.

If O2's bastard child giffgaff weren't so damn cheap I'd be on "any other network". If I actually needed my phone I'd move anyway - luckily I work at home and my normal pub crawl has continuous Wifi coverage ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I get the same problem

Full 3.5G signal, but nothing happens. Not even pings make it through. My experience of o2's GPRS/EDGE network is terrible too. When this shitty contract is up in 10,000 years, I'll be going back to Three. They might have a bad rep, but they were never any hassle for me and if anything their bad rep means their the only cellco that has decent contention on their pipes.

15. leexgx

mite get HSDPA does not mean i get much speed

on avg my orange HSDPA+ device (3.75g) never really goes any faster then 2mb (256KB/s) it should be like to do up to 7mb but thats unlikely (expected 3-5 really)

the problem with mobile broadband or smartphones devices (both should get around same speeds) is that 1 tower can only provide so much bandwidth Total for every one (Voice gets higher priority over data so if the tower that is in use has a lot of users talking on it data can be quite poor)

even with LTE 4g coming with crappy 1-2GB an month plans just means you hit that limit far faster (Three UK offer best data plans but network coverage sucks and t-mobile data amount sucks but you can still use it after you burned the 1gb up but at 2g speeds)

1. UMTS =(
      FAIL

Might want to get your facts right

Why do people come on here and make statements as if they are facts when they really have no idea.... Fair use policy for T-mobile for instance is applied to streaming and up/downloading files, they will not change your connection speed!! You will still be able to browse & email it will just stop your streaming etc. after you hit the limit...Fact

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like