back to article Hack attacks on US could spark military action

The Obama Administration has put the world on notice that hack attacks directed against US assets could be met with military action. “When warranted, the United States will respond to hostile acts in cyberspace as we would to any other threat to our country,” the White House said in a long-expected policy, titled The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christoph

Not quite

“All states possess an inherent right to self-defense"

Unless it's the USA invading them of course.

1. DarkStranger
      Thumb Down

If you don't like it...

Some of us Americans dislike or even hate the way the United States government has prosecuted it's foreign policy, myself included, but almost all of us hate being lumped into this 'Ugly American' cancer cluster category that so many Europeans, Asians and middle easterners so willingly place us.

As there are consequences for everyone's actions I invite and encourage you to stand up for what you believe in. So if you are being invaded by someone stand-up or shut-up!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Grenade

I believe....

.... that Americans call such people "terrorists", e.g. in Bahrain, Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan - see the problem? Thought not.

2. Zolko Silver badge
        Pirate

No, I don't like it

@ DarkStranger : "stand-up or shut-up!"

funny how you are giving orders on a European site, while you pretend to be against exactly this aggressive american behaviour.

3. Lionel Baden

@Darkstranger

I think you will find we dislike americans as a People not as individuals.

Although im sure there a plenty of unpleasant ignorant people in every country on this planet. You just got greedy and took the major share.

Why we dislike you.

"All necersarry means ..... consistent with applicable international law,"

Hmm Cuba ring any bells here. Americans dont give a fuck about international law.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

We?

Don't point your "we" at me. I don't dislike the "American people", as there is no such thing. Demonising a people is the first step to ... a big fucking lesson from history.

Nice quote, by the way. Do you think Great Britain has never acted contrary to its own moral directives? Care to explain to me exactly what's going on in Libya right now?

4. Stone Fox
        Headmaster

correction

Kindly replace "Europeans, asians and middle easteners" with "the entire non-american world"

5. Black Betty

Your dog. Your problem when it bites.

"Stand up or shut up." Hmm, how's that working out in the Middle East anyway? South America? SE Asia.

Over the last half century the US has killed millions who's basic crime was objecting to the presence of the US where it wasn't welcome.

Prior to that, the US killed millions of its OWN people, for daring to have the "wrong" skin colour, and for occupying land that people of the "right" skin colour wanted for themselves.

2. Thomas 4
      Black Helicopters

Meanwhile, over Gary McKinnon's house....

Can anyone else hear a heavily armed Navy SEALs team choppering into position?

1. John Sturdy
        Black Helicopters

Of course not

No, they're stealth helicopters!

2. Tom 13

if you hear a heavily armed, commado-type strike team choppering into position

you are in real trouble - That's a Russia or Chicom team -- Americans now have whisper mode choppers.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

I'd have liked to have seen some secret ops against IRA funders

In the seventies and eighties, when IRA (Noraid) terrorist fundraising was being openly conducted in some US cities with the purpose of purchasing explosives and armaments for assassinations and the bombing of cities and civilians within the UK. The US only seemed opposed to terrorism once this started occurring inside the US.

The Israelis conduct such actions abroad with a degree of plausible deniability. When the US do it, they don't bother with plausible deniability, because their domestic propaganda always seems to take priority over their foreign and diplomatic relations.

1. Tom 13

And I for one would have been more than happy to hand over Teddy Kennedy

and the other twits who were engaged in those activities. No extreme rendition necessary. But for some reason instead of being condemned for such activities, he seems to be one of the people most praised on your side of the pond.

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

What's sauce for the goose

is sauce for the gander.

So presumably they won't mind if other world powers take the same attitude and do some militarised arse-kicking of american nationals in the USA who take part in cyber attacks on other countries?

Though historically, a lot of the "attacks on the US", have come from it's own citizens inside the country.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

I think there is a difference between an individual or non-state organised group hacking a country and a state sponsored attack.

(Queue downvotes for saying something in defence of an American policy... Sigh)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Proof?

You're right, there is a difference. Now prove which one it was.

Since proving the existence of a BFG seems difficult enough for Western Intelligence agencies (it's either there or it isn't), how well are they going to cope with subtleties like motive?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

Cue downvotes ...

for an inability to use the correct heterograph...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@AC 0918

Well, I looked up heterograph in both Dictionary.com and my rather large OED, it's not in either, so I have to ask: What are you talking about?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Fraser

Homophones that are spelled differently (Hetero - other, Graph - writing). Most people would merely have pointed to the fact that it's a homophone, as that's the psychological cause of such errors.

@All: What's with the endless grammar Nazism? One minute y'all decry soft subjects like English, the next, you're trying to treat English like it's set theory with axioms and lemmas and rigidly defined usage.

And every time one of you does this, you commit some error of your own. In this instance, the following is orthographically incorrect:

Cue downvotes ...

for an inability to use the correct heterograph...

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

heterograph

Try google.

3. Paul 129
    Grenade

WAR

"As one retired US general has already conceded, not all attacks on government networks can accurately be considered an act of war. What's more, even when they can, it's often impossible to know which country is behind them."

The truth does kinda spoil a good war. The US are just lowering the the bar a little on how to get one started.

4. Adze

"as appropriate and consistent with applicable international law"

Well... that makes a nice change then!

5. Stewart Stevens

Passwords?

Do you think they might set some half decent passwords up on their machines before firing off the missiles?

"The administration went on to say military force would be used only after all other options have been exhausted."

6. Quxy
    FAIL

"And don't even get me started about movie pirates"...

...the MPAA^H^H^H^H Obama Administration spokesman went on to say.

1. Elmer Phud
      Pirate

Arrgh

Doesn't he like Jack Sparrow?

1. Quxy

Jack Sparrow?

No, he doesn't like Jack -- Jack doesn't pay as well as Barbossa!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Clear target

Quiz question:

Name the country which is known for it's "Cyber army", has the world's 3rd largest oil reserves at around 150 billion barrels but yet is the second largest gasoline importer in the world - just behind the US - at least until their first mega refinery starts working later this year?

8. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

Oh yes...

Fancy an attack on Pakistan my'lord?

Just when you thought irrationality unlawfully carnally paired with american militaro-exceptionalism had generated enough stupidity, they manage to take it to 120%.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Pffft

What you going to do? Invade every country whose IP was found to be breaching your 'cyberspace'? Riiight

10. FozzyBear
    Thumb Down

Titiel Required

The administration went on to say military force would be used only after all other options have been exhausted

"or when our political spin doctors are able to spin a tale that would legitimize said action”

“or when the President realizes that said war will net him a tidy profit due to his business interests”

“or when the US Military realize it has been 5 years since they had the chance to blow something/someone up outside of the training range”

“or when ……”

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

You say you need a title?

It was this line that made me think:

>"or when our political spin doctors are able to spin a tale that would legitimize said action”

The ideal title for your post would have been "Wag the dog?". No, no charge. This one's on me :-)

11. Katie Saucey
    Black Helicopters

I thought I heard something....

Well, this explains all those frigging predator drones circling my house, maybe I'll switch to my neighbours wi-fi for awhile...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

The document should come with a warning

Warning: The title alone will make you puke, the US government is not responsible for your keyboard bills.

For those not opening the PDF (well done, who knows what the Whitehouse stuffed in there) the title of this fabulous document is:

"Prosperity, Security, and Openness in a Networked World"

I didn't even make it to the main text.

Actually maybe I should because my El Reg nickname might be considered an attack on US... Hopefully they'll have updated all their modems' firmware by now, if not, well sorry guys.

13. Cunningly Linguistic
    Troll

It should be fun...

...if Wikileaks manages to scrounge up something on Stuxnet!

14. Combat Wombat
    Badgers

Yeah right

The US is a thrashing, dying entity.

Given how stretched their armed forces are, and how utterly broke they are I really can't see the US mounting any sort of serious operation into a country.

Iran gets it, and is constantly calling their bluff.

And before you all point out Libya, all the US is doing is launching cruise missiles. The US would be totally unable to commit any sort of troops to any theater of war now days.

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Hmmmmm.....

"The administration went on to say military force would be used only after all other options have been exhausted."

More helicopter carcasses for sale on ebay then I suppose.....

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

So it's OK for Iran to attack USA and Israel now?

Because of Stuxnet, right? Thanks for clearing that up, Mr. President, Sir.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

yes , so true!, mr. obama

All states possess an inherent right to self-defense AND self-destruct at the same time !

18. thecakeis(not)alie

"All states possess an inherent right to self-defense."

I consider allowing the broadcast of FOX News to be an attack on all nations. More specifically, since FOX OTA broadcasts are receivable in Canadian territory, I do believe we have just cause to defend ourselves. An appropriate and proportional response would be to jam the frequencies used by FOX broadcasting stations near the Canadian border.

The only possible result is a better world.

19. kain preacher

FOX

I apologizes for FOX news being broadcast in Canada. You take Celine back and we will cancel FOX news .

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Apologies

This isn't the first bad thing to come out of Canada. Let's not forget Bryan Adams!

Yes, well the Canadian government has apologized for him on several occasions!

1. bean520
        Alert

Soth Park Movie...

"Remember when you look into the eyes of your dying, screaming, bloodied enemy, that it's ok so long as our children don't hear naughty language"

So many similarities between that America and the real one... thats the scary thing. And this was made before all these wars (1999)

20. Winkypop Silver badge
    Terminator

Just another way of saying...

....all your base are belong to us.

21. Me Meeson
    Thumb Down

Cyber?

Why is it that the US gov and military are pretty much the only groups that use the term "Cyber" without their tongue firmly planted in their cheek?

Everyone else realises that they sound like writers for Dr Who, or throwbacks to 1996 when using that term.

1. Mephistro

o_O

The word "Cyberspace" was created circa 1983 by William Gibson, of Neuromancer fame. It sounded nice and embodied an interesting concept, so it stuck. Get over it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

From the wiki....

The word "cyberspace" (from cybernetics and space) was coined by science fiction novelist and seminal cyberpunk author William Gibson in his 1982 story "Burning Chrome" and popularized by his 1984 novel Neuromancer. The portion of Neuromancer cited in this respect is usually the following:

Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts... A graphic representation of data abstracted from the banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.

Despite its originally negative overtone, the term no longer carries a negative connotation.

Gibson later commented on the origin of the term in the 2000 documentary No Maps for These Territories:

All I knew about the word "cyberspace" when I coined it, was that it seemed like an effective buzzword. It seemed evocative and essentially meaningless. It was suggestive of something, but had no real semantic meaning, even for me, as I saw it emerge on the page.

22. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Grenade

American Pie in the Sky

"The digital world is no longer a lawless frontier, nor the province of a small elite. It is a place where the norms of responsible, just, and peaceful conduct among states and peoples have begun to take hold." .... "International Strategy for CyberSpace .... Prosperity, Security, and Openness in a Networked World .... May 2011"

In your dreams, baby, or whenever pigs can fly, in other words ....... which in a digital world, is easily arranged whenever you know what needs to be done, and how to do it with IT and Media Product Placement oneself, or else you will be fully reliant and dependent upon the brilliant future skill of others, mirrored in the ancient dark arts of past masters.

23. LaeMing
    Unhappy

I think he was referring to

"All States of the US"

24. James Woods

what

This has been common knowledge for those that have any for years.

It's previously been stated that an e-attack on friends of government (bankers etc...) could result in physical re-action by the military.

So im not sure what's new here other than the democrats got in the white house and the 'wars' haven't gone away.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Riiiight...

"hack attacks directed against US assets could be met with military action"

That means attacking Russia and China - good luck with that.

26. h4rm0ny
    Black Helicopters

Chilcott

I bet Alaister Campbell and Tony Blair wish they'd had something like this instead of having to make up evidence about WMD in Iraq.

Why are we invading this country?

Because they launched a cyber-attack on us.

How do we know that's true?

Here is an IT man who says it is.

27. Wize

So, rather than starting a war with another country...

...you could do a Joe Job and get America to attack them for you.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How to start a war

Tourist ticket to <insert name of country you don't like/has oil/different religious or political views to you> from the US

Fire up your laptop a the airport

Hop onto the free wi-fi as you grab a coffee

'Hack' a US site

Fly home to the 'land of the free' as the missiles begin

Jeez every sheetwearing klan boy or book burning christian pastor is gonna love this one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why fly?

When you can buy CPU time in any botnet cloud around the world.

Saves the environment and all that.

29. Alpha Tony

Hmmmm...

*Off to get a french VPN and launch a DOS attack on Langley*

30. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

eltiT

Goddammit! I know there's a mouse on my property and I'm gonna geddit even if I have to burn down the whole dang cornfield.

31. BitBotherer
    Happy

"Jeez every sheetwearing klan boy or book burning christian pastor is gonna love this one."

Ha ha. Thats probably who its aimed at.

32. Hooch181
    FAIL

Do...

as we say, not as we do!

33. Ru
    Heart

Aiding the enemy

"It wasn't us attacking your country, it was evil haxors rooting boxes that are merely hosted here. Who knows where they could be from originally?"

Standard Chinese response, that one. Not that the US would ever do anything even as aggressive as sabre-rattling at the Chinese these days, of course... but if this bit of posturing encourages nations to work a little bit harder to prevent their citizens' computers being used as part of a botnet or the like, so much the better.

Entertaining thought, though... an inadequately secured computer now rather resembles any other piece of dual-use technology. Windows as a munition, anyone?

34. Scott 19
    Coat

Inward

I'd be looking internally if I was the US of A, i watched a documentor the other day called 'War Games' where a teenager hacked there military only using a dial up.

Quite scary stuff.

35. MinionZero
    Big Brother

WTF! ... Here comes the World Police (State)

So according to this, if I have a virus which turns my PC into a hacker's proxy or helps in a DOS attack etc.. then according to the US, they think they have the justification to use military force against me! WTF! … like that kid and his family who was raided at gun point by the FBI for taking part in a DOS attack, only worse!. What next, I get a UAV targeting me, to blow my home up!

These dangerous bastards in the US government (on all sizes of the government) are not content with turning their own county into a Police State, they are trying to turn the whole world into their Police State all for their gain, and like this news is showing, we have to do exactly what they tell us to do … literally now at gun point!

I can't help shake the image from my mind of fearful US government officials, cowering in fear behind all their big weapons to make them appear and feel brave, when really they are increasingly dangerous cowards seeking to force us all to do exactly what they want, literally now at gun point!

36. g e
    Stop

international computer security standards

That allow the united states of americaland access to all your (and your citizens') data without recourse to anything less sympathetic than a cruise missile.

37. Graham Marsden
    FAIL

Team America - World (Cyber) Police

Fuck Yeah!!

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dodgy dossier mk II

Can you imagine how much easier it would be to compile a dodgy dossier on this basis?

As messrs Cambell and Tony B Liar found, one can come unstuck when one invents stories of missiles and chemical weapons plants because once you invade, you have some explaining to do when it turns out you made it all up and they simply don't exist.

The great thing about cyber attacks is you can claim that some enemy is pointing some awesome cyberweapon at you and after the invasion you only have to find a laptop and you're home and dry.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>"after the invasion you only have to find a laptop and you're home and dry."

Cue press conference where the white house announces that they've also found some porn on the laptop although they don't know if anyone viewed it or not.....

39. JaitcH
    FAIL

So next time a UK citizen proves how insecure a Pentagon computer is ...

the USA will bypass the niceties of deportation, etc and just send a drone to zap the offenders house?

I don't think so - better that server owners accept responsibility for their security.

40. The Morgan Doctrine

Obama almost articulates The Morgan Doctrine

This is really the right first step.

http://www.themorgandoctrine.com/2011/05/obama-almost-articulates-morgan.html

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like