back to article Man sentenced to 20 years in murder of online rival

A 48-year-old man caught up in an internet love triangle was sentenced to 20 years in prison for killing his rival after being dumped by the woman they both competed for. Thomas Montgomery of Cheektowaga, New York, pleaded guilty in August to the shooting death of 22-year-old Brian Barrett while he sat in a pickup truck …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shaun
    Pirate

Made me panic!

Saw the headline and paniced! - I killed at least 30 differnt people in COD4 online last night.

2. JC

Irony?

I'm not responding to only this tragedy but justice in general.

Isn't it ironic when the family of somemone who was engaging in questionable behavior, especially when they have skeletons in their own closets, suddenly takes the high road and makes statements as if they are good moral people when it comes time to punish someone? The next day, they're back to their usual seedy lives.

Usually this is just a pathetic deception, supposed victims pretending to have very high moral standards in an attempt to seek the most revenge possible. They want to feel good about themselves by posturing and pointing the finger at someone else.

I certainly do not condone what happened, but this trend in the justice system is very disturbing. IMO, victims' families should not be allowed to speak, any human life is as important as another and sentencing should never have an emotional background of what a family member had to say. Particularly disturbing is when they claim loss and sue, as if they weren't required to make their way in life doing what is fruitfull and of profit like everybody else.

Sorry scumbags, but there is no monetary settlement that is proper for losing a loved one. If you really loved them, I am sorry for your loss, but a boatload of money is only a distraction, not suitable restitution, and you show your true colors when seeking that.

3. Danny

tragedy

It's ironic that the two who thought they had a hot young date turn out to be both middle aged. The sadness is the guy then couldn't see the funny side and have a laugh over it and maybe make a good online friendship and instead became obsessed to the point of killing.

The BBC Worldservice podcast go into some detail about the incident. Get 'em while they're hot (only kept up for 7 days.) Look for chatroom murder 22 Nov 2007:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/docarchive/

There must be some moral point to this story that presently escapes me...

4. Pin

Picture

She used a picture of her daughter? What was her eventual plan here, to get her to go and meet them for her?

5. Nick Reid
    Coat

@Shaun

Yeah, but they let it slide when they found out you had been pwned by 40.

6. b shubin
    Happy

Online trailer park

it's like Jerry Springer, but online, with guns, and it takes longer.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Doesn't make sense

"To gun down a boy over simple jealousy does not make sense to us"

Sorry, but although I can understand and sympathize with their bereavement, things like that have been happening since before guns were invented.

Passion (not love) has been the source of a great many murders. There is no surprise in this development.

This topic is closed for new posts.