back to article Archos 32 Android media player

Archos is calling the 32 an Android tablet, but I have trouble convincing myself that anything with a 3.2in screen is really a tablet so it makes far more sense to review it as a touchscreen media player. Archos 32 Archos may call the 32 a tablet, but it's really a PMP Slim, sleek and light as a good PMP should be, the 32 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"If you can live without DRM support"

Ha! What a chore. However will I live without it.

2. swisstoni
    Thumb Up

PMP?

What we have here is probably the first sensibly priced dedicated Sonos remote control.

3. Some Beggar

The other issue with skype video calls is that the video camera will be facing your netherparts rather than your face. Unless it's for _that_ kind of video call.

No memory expansion seems like the real dummkopf move. I don't know why anybody builds anything without a memory card slot these days. I'm expecting my next washing machine to have one.

(dear Ed: why isn't there a 'meh' icon between the thumbs up and down?)

4. Patrick O'Reilly
    Thumb Up

Music Store

I added the updated 7Digital app store for Android on the other half's Archos 28 (this model's little brother) and it's improved the experience greatly.

If this device shipped with it by default it'd be a near perfect device.

5. Danny 14
    Unhappy

archos

great idea but something critical will be wrong with it, such as battery life or needs rebooting daily. Good luck getting a firmware fix for it. Oh and consider any previous incarnation EOL now so no more fixes for those either.

I love the principle behind archos stuff but by god their support is shite.

1. Ammaross Danan
      Coat

That and...

The Archos 32 has been out for some months now. I'm surprised it's taken this long for El Reg to report on it. I'd still go for their Archos 101 just for the size and screen, let alone the SD slot and all the other tablety goodness.

6. Dante Alighieri
    Badgers

San Fran?

how does it compare to the equally well priced Orange San Francisco on PAYG as per your earlier review of cheap Android phones?

Capacitive screen, easily rooted/upgraded (apparently), free phone for the same price

Just curious

1. Simon 15
      Heart

Re: San Fran?

I have the Orange San Francisco and it is incredibly easy to unlock, flash and root which is good as the Orange branded default ROM is quite lethargic.... I'm currently running Android 2.2 but there are also stable 2.3 ROMS out there that I might upgrade to at some point.

For the price I'd say that the SF going to be incredibly hard to beat unless you *really* want a dedicated music/video player. The main advantage of the Archos seems to be the CPU which is considerably faster than the 600MHz one in the SF (although this can be over-clocked to some degree and seems perfectly fast enough to me anyway). Another downside could be the battery life which isn't brilliant especially when using a WiFi connection, although if I was just playing music I'd turn any data connections off.

I think you can get the SF for around £95 from Orange now (+10% extra discount for NHS workers and other selected groups) so it's pretty good value although the screen is now TFT-LCD rather than the original AMOLED (although it's still capacitive rather than resistive of course) and provides 480x800 resolution which is twice that of the Archos as is the memory (512mb Vs, 256mb). It can also take 32gb Micro SD cards so considerable room for expansion if you have a reasonably large music collection...

I personally think the Archos is pretty good value but doesn't really come close to the SF as a general purpose device (perhaps because it's not) especially when you consider the screen resolution and expandability. There's also a pretty well established development community for the SF which is always a good thing. Not sure if the Archos has GPS either... I'm guessing it doesn't.

Of course, you can also make phone calls on the SF which can be rather useful if you only want to carry one device around with you :) I spend £10 a month on giffgaff goody-bags which is roughly a quarter of what many of my friends are paying for their 18-month iPhone/HTC Desire contracts....

Yep, I love my San Fransisco :)

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Giffgaff goody-bags

I thought my brain had stopped functioning but, no, Google informs me that in the UK that is actually a thing.

7. David Haworth 1

What? No SDHC slot?

What use is a media player without a card slot for my media?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like