back to article Free iPad content for Time, Fortune subscribers

Apple and Time Inc., have inked a pact that allows subscribers of hard-copy rags published by the largest magazine flogger in the US to freely download digital copies of those same issues onto their Cupertinian fondleslabs. Beginning Monday, subscribers to Time's flagship Sports Illustrated, Time, and Fortune will be able to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon 10

Empire

Now let's hope that the publishers of Empire follow suit quickly. Would happily go digital only if I could convert my sub

2. Dan Paul
    Flame

"FREE" subscriptions because Apple will sell your Data!

I've said it before and will say it again. All of this location data that Apple & Google are collecting is pure "effin" gold to anyone in the advertising or retail business.

Imagine what the marketing Asshats would pay to know who you are, where you live and travel every minute of every day, couple that data with Google Street View data as to what building you just entered, how much money you spent, on what specifically (from Near Field Comm data and your bank), etc etc etc.

Figure for each "qualified" lead, data this reliable is probably worth a few hundred dollars per head especially if you only ask for those people making $100,000 and up.

Here's how this works, target "A" has gross income of $ 185K, visits Starbucks at 7:45 AM, spends average $ 10.95, takes Cab "?" to work at 1 Rich Guy Plaza, arrives at 8:45 AM, buys Orvis Flyfishing stuff online worth $ 385 at 9:15 AM, goes to Fancy Scmanzy restraunt at 11:45 pays $125 for lunch with the Mistress, bingo, you sell the same sales lead info to competing coffee company, sporting goods company and new high end restraunt company so they can email target "A" direct competing offers WITHOUT having to shotgun ad's all over town to losers who can't afford their products. Oh, by the way since he takes a cab, the BMW dealer sends him a "special financing offer" they would not send anyone else.

Oh, and now it's about magazine subscriptions too!

1. Tom 38
      Thumb Down

@Dan, apply the tin foil hat now

Ignore the fact that this article is about magazine subs, and go into full on paranoia.

Apple don't know how much money I make. Apple don't know how I spend my money. At the most, Apple know where I am, occasionally, assuming I'm viewing some adverts in an app.

My phone knows where I am all the time. Apple don't, unless I'm using an app that sends geolocation info back to them (eg, an iAds supported app).

3. John Smith 23

dont understand this

i've got a print subscription to the economist and have been able to read the ipad / iphone version at no extra cost for ever !

so don't see the big deal here

1. iDavid

Agree

Yes - same applies to The Times/Sunday Times.

But has always puzzled me why The Economist is prepared to ship me 52 issues of their magazine for only £3 per annum more than digital only.

2. DZ-Jay

Re: don't understand this

It's simple to understand: Time, Inc. over-dramatised their reaction to Apple's new policy as Apple being a greedy beast, while all the time their main concern was that they couldn't get a hold of new customer's personal information for additional monetization.

Some other enterprises came to terms with it some time ago, and they've been taking advantage of in-app subscriptions to the great convenience of their users. It just took this long for Time, Inc. to do so.

While The Register keeps talking about "negotiations" between Apple and the publisher, there's every indication that Time, Inc. *needed* to maintain itself relevant and just capitulated. The WSJ article mentions that their last CEO was ousted by the board, which prompted a mass exodus of employees that has only recently been assuaged. This gives credence that Time, Inc. may not be in a very strong position to negotiate.

Additionally, from the article we get this gem, highlighting the actual cross between Apple and Time, Inc.:

"Time Inc. and other major publishers have yet to agree with Apple on terms for selling subscriptions to their iPad editions, the next step beyond making them available to existing print subscribers. Talks are hung up on Apple's resistance to sharing information with publishers about their iPad customers, which publishers say is critical to applying the "TV everywhere" model to magazines."

dZ.

4. Dr Patrick J R Harkin
    Joke

App pricing must be a very hard business

"This limitation was wildly unpopular with readers, who gave the Sports Illustrated, Time, and Fortune iPad apps overwhelmingly negative reviews."

And no one predicted that. People are just so fickle...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like