back to article Apple confirms white iPhone 4 on sale tomorrow

It's official: the white iPhone will be with us tomorrow, Apple said today. “The white iPhone 4 has finally arrived and it’s beautiful,” gushed Phil Schiller, Apple’s marketing chief in the way only marketing chiefs can. Apple's white iPhone 4 “We appreciate everyone who has waited patiently while we’ve worked to get every …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ben Lambert
    Troll

/facepalm

"We appreciate everyone who has waited patiently while we’ve worked to get every detail right"

You mean putting in white plastic instead of black? Seriously??? Wow, behold the innovation from Apple once again.

I honestly can't understand why anyone would be waiting for this, it's ugly (and completely pointless!).

1. Annihilator
      Happy

"every detail" = more than one?

While you're beholding the innovation from Apple, I'm still trying to work out how he implies that there was more than one detail to get right, yet I can only see one. Perhaps I'm missing something and the RDF is being blocked in the UK at the moment.

2. Justin Clements
      FAIL

There you have it folks

>>I honestly can't understand why anyone would be waiting for this, it's ugly (and completely pointless!).

If Ben doesn't like it, none of us should like it.

Thank you Ben for enlightening us and telling us what we should and shouldn't buy.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Chris Parsons

Why do I need a title to reply to a post?

What baffles me is how anyone, except, of course, the truly devout, could downvote your post.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old hardware new case

I think this is just a ploy to get rid of remaining iPhone 4 hardware ready for iPhone 5.

So not only iFanBoi get a new iPhone every year they can also get the old hardware in a different colour before new one comes out.

Will iPhone 5 be available in white as well as black on release or they going to wait for the following year to release a white version to use up iPhone 5 hardware and make room for iPhone 6?

1. Daniel Owen

Ploy to get rid of old hardware

I agree, same as Samsung selling all variety of Galaxy, right before they release Galaxy 2!

2. taxman

New hardware old case

No, no, no! Haven't you heard? The new iPhone5 will only be available in white. The black version should be ready for release 11 months later.

Something to do with not being able to get any more plastic of the right colour.

3. Annihilator
      Alert

Ploys

Shirley they would be trying to get rid of 3GS hardware ready for the iPhone 5? Past behaviour shows that Apple automatically relegate their #1 product to #2 when a new product is launched, and the existing #2 (in this case the 3GS) is dropped completely. Should the iPhone 5 be launched, the iPhone 4 will continue to sell, but likely at a lower price (and probably only in 1 storage configuration, but wouldn't be difficult to cripple the higher capacity one to appear lower capacity).

I like your eagerness to find a bit of subterfuge, but I think yours is a bit far-fetched.

3. ThomH

"Fanboys all a-quiver"

Possibly I'm being dense; does this article's subtitle contain the usual attempt at humour or is it just plain trolling?

Re: the actual story; I can't imagine what took so long, and agree with Ben that the device doesn't even look very nice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ho hum

Possibly I'm being dense; does this post contain ThomH's usual Apple shill-ery?

1. ThomH

@enigmatix

Suggest you do your research. Or, possibly, stop using 'shill' as a generic smear when you've nothing intellectual to say.

Me, on "Kindle beats Apple's closed book on choice": "I have a Kindle and an iPad, and tend to buy a few books a month on the Kindle but have never bought any at all on the iPad"

Me, on "The Microsoft mobile reboot needs rebooting": "Google would argue they're only temporarily closed source, but even if the Android source code is never published again, it'd still be the only one of the offerings from Microsoft, Apple and Google to allow anyone to install any application from any source."

Me, on "Android, Steve Jobs, and Apple's '90%' tablet share": "Android dominates the phone market ... by being on a lot of different handsets, relatively cheaply. It ticks all the boxes that a large proportion of the market care about, which is enough."

Me, on "Steve Jobs vindicated: Android is not open": "Whether an OS is open source is a completely unrelated issue to whether it has an open market in applications, Microsoft Windows being the obvious evidence — it has the most diverse market possible and not one jot of it is open."

Me on "Tesco herals 2011 as YEAR OF ANDROID": "I was under the impression that 2010 had been the year of Android and that, across the whole market, Android phones were outselling iPhones already. So it's a bit surprising that Tesco have only just caught up."

Me on "Apple 'greed' tax spreads beyond music, movies, magazines", when in a particularly bad mood: "Apple have now made it impossible for others to defend them convincingly. The new charge on subscription services means that the costs of being in the ecosystem now outweigh the benefits for many major companies that you've heard of."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Pint

fair point

Just waded through a load of your posts and find my initial response was unwarranted. You have my sincere apologies.

4. Mondo the Magnificent
    Coat

White noise...

White iPhone 4?

/care = off!

FFS people, get a life, it's a phone goddamit! Nothing more, nothing less. El Reg never made any hoohaa when Nokia released a 3210 in a different shade of silver!

Now go find something newsworthy

Where's my coat...

1. johnnymotel
      FAIL

"itunes...crappy...software"

this is not el reg making a hoo-haa, it's el reg shamelessly looking for hits.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Sir,

"Where's my coat..."

is it a white one?

5. ici.chacal
    Thumb Down

/another_facepalm

That's right, Apple innovation strikes again... Lord help anyone else that dares try and make a product in white from now on, for they shall face the wrath of the iLawyers...

6. emmanuel goldstein

pick nits

Shouldn't the subhead be "Fanbois all a-quiver"? A subtle difference perhaps, but "Fanbois" captures the simpering adulation of the mac-addict so much more evocatively than the plain vanilla "Fanboys".

BTW, did el reg invent the term "Fanboi"?

7. Steve Evans

This calls for my bestest impression

...Never, in the field of modern communications, have so many news stories been posted about so little of interest to so few!

</churchill>

1. hplasm
      Coat

Ohhh yes!

sorry.

8. P Zero
    FAIL

Really?

What a waste of pixels.

9. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Jobs Horns

Well, that fails the "So what?" test:

“The white iPhone 4 has finally arrived and it’s beautiful,” gushed Phil Schiller, Apple’s marketing chief

He's hardly going to say "We've finally managed to get the bastard thing out of the door, and in all honesty I think it looks like a cheap pile of tat, but no doubt someone will buy it", is he? Thus, he's rather wasted his time and ours.

GJC

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

did you just...

...invalidate the entire marketing job function?

as Dilbert recently said "It's all just liquor and guessing"

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
        Happy

I was certainly hoping to, yes.

I notice I got down-voted for doing so. Must be some marketing people in tonight.

GJC

10. tirk
    Thumb Down

If you all claim to be so disinterested....

Why bother writing so many comments?

Seriously, the iPhone is to el Reg what paedophile illegal immigrants are to the Daily Mail, and it's a joke that's had it's day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

If Apple claim to be so interested

Why are they releasing the same shit?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh, that's easy!

Column inches between releases.

And it appears to have worked.

2. Greg Williams
      FAIL

Well...

... you make it sound like El Reg is horribly biased against Apple though?

In reality, they have rather frequently awarded their products high review scores. That they also turn around and say when something is stupid/crap is called 'remaining objective' and judging each element on its merits.

Now cut down on the troll juice.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Agreed

I rarely read the Apple stories anymore but skip straight to the comments sections instead. Funny how most of the comments are from the rabid Apple-hating anti-"fanbois" and not from those that presumably these articles are aimed at, i.e. users of Apple gear.

Seems to me that it's mainly the Apple haters that froth at the knickers whenever an Apple story is released and The Register post such articles for that end. Why is that? Like a previous poster said, nothing was written when another phone manufacturer changed the colour of their handsets. Is that because, for good or ill, anything Apple, sells?

Anon for obvious reasons.

11. Richard Scratcher
    Coat

Probably not just white paint..

Maybe they've fixed the antenna too, with a bit of clear varnish.

12. Dale 3
    Unhappy

Which queue?

Now I'm in a pickle. Do I join the white iPhone queue or the royal wedding queue?

13. Andy 36
    Thumb Down

and then....

When will we see the patent application for a "SmartPhone device with an 'Apple White' colour (color) plastic trim", then sue Blackberry and Nokia

14. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Sir.

“We appreciate everyone who has waited patiently while we’ve worked to get every detail right,"

probably took them ages getting just the right shade of white.

In a factory I used to do some trouble-shooting in, they made bottle tops for Coke. It was made in a shade of red that apparently Coca-Cola "owns" and nobody can make plastic bottle tops in that shade or red or use bottle tops in that same colour for another drinks product.

My thought is that they have managed to copyright a shade of white or patent a process that produces a particular shade of white in plastic. This will then ad another gun to the iLawyers armoury when they go on to claim damages from some guy importing cheap Jesus phone cases to make a few quid.

can we have a iLawyer icon or patent troll icon please !

15. HelenaHandcart

But when is the purple iPhone coming out?

That's when I'll buy one

1. Lamont Cranston

With "BMF"

engraved on the back?

16. emmanuel goldstein

Phil Schiller

ho - ho. if only it was Phil Shiller:

shill

/ʃɪl/ Show Spelled [shil] Show IPA Slang .

–verb (used with object)

to advertise or promote (a product) as or in the manner of a huckster; hustle: He was hired to shill a new TV show.

Origin:

1920–25; origin uncertain

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

News?

Apple releases a phone in a different colour. how the flying f**k is this even getting to front page as news? Nokia released most of their classic phones in around 30 patterns/colours - we didnt see a news release for each colour . sad. if theres ANYTHING about Apple it must be published?

anyway, agree with other posters - it looks awful, cheap and its going to get and look grubby quite quickly

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm holding out for ...

... the yellow one.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Boffin

Well....

....leave a white one out in the sun for a few days, that should do it.

GJC

19. Trev 2

But when's it coming in pink?

I know of two people who are flatly refusing to buy one until it comes out in pink (ideally bright pink), so all this "only in black" and now "ok, so you can have white too" is still losing them sales. Admittedly, I can think of better things to do with the weekly DHSS cheque, but...

@Turk - a combination of El Reg + Apple + useless announcement + we're bored I suspect gives the answer to your question.

20. Lantz

what color

Any customer can have a iPhone painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black. Uh, and now white.

~Henry Ford

21. Mark Wilson

Eventually

They have released the iChav for those cider drinkers in their white shell suits sitting in a shopping centre. The perfect match.

22. zen1

News flash:

Red paint available today

23. Eddy Ito

Basically

This is Apple saying; "yeah we can't get the 4G antenna right on the iPhone 5 and we won't be getting any parts for the iPhone 5 from Japan for another six months so here's a shiny _new_ iPhone color to keep our name in the press for the graduation season. Don't worry, if we have any more hangups when fall comes around, we've got a shiny _new_ black iMac and a polished nickel iPad 2.01 to sell to the kiddies when they go back to school."

24. Mr Floppy

Lisa Lionheart

Lisa: "She still embodies all the awful stereotypes she did before!"

Smithers: "But she's got a new hat!"

25. Jim_aka_Jim

cor blimey

blah blah blah, blah blah, Blahblahblah. Blah.

Sorry that was what I read when I saw the article. Is el Reg broken or has my Apple ifilter kick in again?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like