back to article iPhone 5 set for shelves this September

The iPhone 5 rumour mill is in full swing this morning after reports that the much-anticipated device will go into production this July, for shipping in September. With the sale of the white iPhone 4 anticipated this week, the focus is now to the next version of the handset, which, according to a Reuters report last night, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jim Coleman
    Jobs Horns

Hmmm....

If Apple changed the display size for the iPhone 5 to 4", isn't that tantamount to admitting that a 3.5" screen isn't the "optimum choice" that they claimed it was?

Also, will apple be upping the pixel count to take account of the increased screen size? Otherwise, they'll have to drop the "Retina" marketing bollocks, because the pixel density won't be enough.

And as for a 12MP camera, I hope they'll be putting a beefy lens in there and a decent aperture size, because with the current pin-hole jobbie anything over 5MP is utterly wasted. This is why the best cameras have huge lenses. Just sayin'.

With NFC on the horizon and already starting to appear in the very newest handsets, if the iPhone lacks this feature it will dent sales a tad.

And....and.....oh really does anyone really still have any enthusiasm for iPhones? Zzzzzzzz...

1. Nic 3
      Pint

You do

"And....and.....oh really does anyone really still have any enthusiasm for iPhones? Zzzzzzzz..."

First poster on in iPhone comments thread but no interest... You poor conflicted soul.

1. Jim Coleman
        Thumb Down

Hehe

Au contraire mon ami, I'm interested... in not having one.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Screen size

Personally I like the screen size as it currently is on the iPhone 4, and the pixel density is a vital part of that. On my Galaxy S I find the lower pixel density definitely makes small text on web pages hard to distinguish.

As for NFC, who actually cares about that? I've never seen an NFC payment terminal anywhere, so I'm hardly chomping at the bit to pay for a phone with a feature I currently have zero use for.

3. bluesxman
      FAIL

RE: Hmmm....

"if the iPhone lacks this feature it will dent sales a tad"

You've not been paying much attention to their previous strategy and the response of the target demographic, have you?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: Hmmm....

"With NFC on the horizon and already starting to appear in the very newest handsets, if the iPhone lacks this feature it will dent sales a tad."

I'm not sure it'll make any difference on sales. I'm into my gadgets and technology and I can't really think of anything I actually want to do with NFC on my phone. I'm pretty sure that "normal" phone buyers will care even less. Don't get me wrong, if it is put into other handsets and becomes something that people rely on day to day, my opinion will change, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

5. jubtastic1

Back of fag packet calcs...

Indicate 3.8" is the maximum size they can go to with the current pixels and still qualify as the 300dpi they've pegged 'Retina' quality. (current screen is 326dpi).

Personally I think theyll go just big enough to remove the slim side bezel, throw in an A5 dual core, some more Ram, 8Mp for the cam, and maybe a new sensor, IR would be welcome.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Jim

The claim Apple made was that current 4" devices were too big. Which I agree, even holding them in hand looks a bit silly, let alone pocketing them in some tighter jeans.

If they managed to fit a 4" screen in the same size as the current iP4 (difficult as they'd only have 1mm of clearance on either side, at the current 1.33 ratio and device size) I don't see how it would be a problem.

As for the resolution keeping the same would mean resolution would drop to 289 dpi, which is certainly lower than the current device, but since work by Curcio et al (1990) put this "retina" value at 287 dpi, they won't be lying if they still call it "Retina display".

And yes I think there's a lot of enthusiasm, seeing how both the industry is salivating for details and even apparently uninterested commenters jump to the chance of posting.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It doesn't matter.....

......they could change nothing but the name and there would still be a bunch of fanboys queuing outside every Apple store on launch day ready to fap over their new device.

1. Mark 65

I just wish

That someone would organise a decent single-point-of-sale marketplace like that offered in iTunes so that I can switch to an Android jobby when I come off of contract. At the moment the marketplace is more like a car boot sale.

3. Philippe
    Go

What more do we really need?

I have seen the 4 inch rumors and i am not convinced.

-I agree that 3.5 inch got old but 3.7 as on most Samsung seems just right. (anything above is just dumb 4.3 is just a battery emptying nonsense.)

-Dual core yep why not?

-NFC when there is a proper format and use for it ?OK whatever.

-Price needs trimming (yeah i know dream on..)

-Camera 12p , i agree with Jim with a small lense it just sucks. I'd rather have a better 5MP

-Better exchange integration and multitasking.. absolutely.

In a nutshell, i don't think the time as being right for any major changes. The company I work for is buying those to replace BB at a impressive pace and nobody is saying :" I wish it had X and Y".

It's the software that needs updating. the rest is fine.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time problems

Wonder if it will include whatever it is that has overnight made my clock go back by 2hrs 7mins for no apparent reason. It's set to "Set automatically" and has been fine until early hours this morning. I've had to set it manually to work around it. If I turn auto back on, it drops back 2hrs 7mins again. iPhone 4 @ 4.3.2. If anyone knows what on earth is going on (local network problem, Orange Warrington area?) then please suggest away! iPhone 5 - might hang on a while before getting that...

1. bluesxman
      Boffin

RE: Time problems

"Set automatically" means the network provides the time, presumably via NTP or some similar (mobile specific) protocol. If the network time source was reporting the incorrect time, this would explain the symptoms you describe.

5. uhuznaa

Well...

I dread to say it aloud, but: Even with its rather yesteryear CPU the current iPhone is still one of the best and fastest smartphones with a smooth and stutter-free interface, hi-res screen, good camera, good battery life and a rather timeless non-plastic design. Just putting in a dual-core CPU should be enough to be good for another year and no changes to the general design will make all current iPhone users happy since they don't feel left behind as much then.

Apple really can't do much wrong here, I think. The current crop of Android phones is not exactly making leaps. Faster CPUs and GPUs help a bit with minimizing UI stutter (and Android is still not perfect here), screens are good but not better than the iPhone's, battery life is mostly worse... I do not expect many changes in the market, really.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4.3" is quite a nice size

for a phone screen. I've had plenty of iphone owners asking me about my htc phones and where can they can get one. It seems a lot of people find the iphone screen too small.

7. Mark .

Didn't we already have an article yesterday?

Oh wait. That was the Iphone 6. Or was it Iphone 7?

Let's drop the daily vaporware stories. Are we going to have endless stories on how Nokia, Samsung, Dell, Asus etc may be releasing a newer version of their products, that will be slightly better than the current versions, too?

uhuznaa: Good battery life? Does it last more than a day, now? ;)

I'm still happy with my old Nokia 5800 - battery life last for days, and a higher resolution and better camera I believe than the contempary Iphone of the same era.

There isn't really much to distinguish phones these days, and whatever thing you like about Apple, there'll be people liking things about Nokia, Android manufacturers, RIM and so on.

"The current crop of Android phones is not exactly making leaps."

Nor are Apple. All phones these days are getting pretty similar, and the improvements are evolutionary. Most of the new things added in each Iphone generation were just playing catchup: 3G, video recording, video calling, multitasking, decent resolution. In some cases, even bog standard feature phones had these features years earlier, yet for Apple, they were touted as the main new features. Not exactly making leaps - please correct me if I'm wrong?

8. uhuznaa

@Mark

"Good battery life? Does it last more than a day, now? ;)"

My iPhone 4 eats about 10% of battery for every hour of active usage and another 10% for every 24 hours of standby. So, yes, usually it lasts more than a day. About three days with two hours active usage a day. Usually I charge it every other day just to be on the safe side.

If I use it like my old dumbphone (= hardly use it at all and just make a short call now and then or write a SMS), it lasts a week on a charge, with WiFi and 3G on (but in power-trickle standby mode, I suppose). Happens rarely, though.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like