back to article PARIS team raises pint to Yuri Gagarin

It won't have escaped your notice that today marks the 50th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's historic first manned space flight. Well, we at the Paper Aircraft Released Into Space (PARIS) bureau couldn't let the moment pass without some form of celebration, and our own heroic Playmonaut was on hand offer a hearty "За здоровье …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sabine Miehlbradt
    Pint

Poor astronaut

How can he drink anything from a mug in that helmet.

Even if the visor opens he'll need at least a straw.

Anyway: Cheers! (from the nonalcoholics nonymous)

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Kudos!

12 Aprelya...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

I think you mean "На здоровье" (NT)

NT means "No Text"

1. Eugene Crosser
      Headmaster

no,

I think that you got the phrase from Western literature where it is used wrong. In the live language, "За здоровье!" is a toast, while "На здоровье" translates roughly as "you are welcome".

Kudos to Lester for using it right!

1. Jonathan Richards 1

Save the adverbs, quick.

To post with the pedant icon is to invite disaster. Twice you used adjectives instead of adverbs.

wrong -> wrongly.

right -> rightly, or more idiomatically perhaps, 'properly' or 'correctly'.

You're welcome!

4. Stevie

Bah

You've been rooked, Mr Haines.

Gagarin used pencils. Russians decided to forgo the R&D costs of making a Bic work in microgravity.

What you have there is obviously a Sam the Monkey Space Pen holder, rejiggered by unscrupulous Russian crims to rook the unwary Space Memorabilia Collector.

I know whereof I speak. I have a "genuine" Lunakhod-1 wheel encrusted with "moon dust" that, when I had it valued, turned out to be a Radio Flyer wheel with charcoal barbecue ash glued on (current worth: 23 cents).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

*sigh*

NASA never spent a penny on zero-g writing utensils: they too used pencils until it became apparent that highly conductive shards of graphite floating around an environment full of electronic stuff might be A Bad Thing. Once Mr Fisher gave them some of his pressurised pens to try they were hooked, and the Russians ended up using them too, for much the same reason.

1. Stevie

Err...

The post was intended as humour rather than a definitive history of the Microgravity-Capable Writing Implement race.

The author deeply regrets the confusion, but would like to point out that having seen in person the collection of junk that was walled-up behind the console paneling of Liberty Bell 7 by the builders of said Space Ship, he feels that powdered graphite was the least of the astronauts' problems.

2. Adam 67
      Pint

Actually...

Re. The space pen...

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

BTW, extremely jealous of the Soviet memento!!!!

Pint cos I'll be raising one!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's an Urban Myth

Up to 1967 both NASA and whatever the Soviet Equivalent was called used pencils. A pen maker took it upon himself to develop the "Space Pen", and once approved by NASA for use they bought initially 400 of them at $2.95 each. From 1968 the Soviets used pen made by the same maker.

Pencils have the unfortunate tendency for leads to break and then float off and then short things seeing as the lead is mostly graphite.

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story though?

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

@Poor astronaut

I think you drink from the bottle

The potty (human waste management system facility in Nasa-speak) is for the end product.....

1. Sabine Miehlbradt
      Go

Potty?

Nope - the waste goes straight into the diapers under the suit.

6. Mr Young
    Thumb Up

Playmonaut retiring is he?

Drinking to Yuri? I think he's getting bored - he needs a new mission!

7. Geoff Thompson
    Thumb Up

First Orbit

Glad El Reg marked the occasion. The film First Orbit (posted yesterday) has had 2 million hits on YouTube.

This topic is closed for new posts.