back to article Ten... 40-42in net connected HD TVs

If you’re looking to get the biggest bang for your thin-screen buck, then the 40-42in TV category is the sweet spot. It’s here that the most competitive price points jostle with bleeding edge features. Almost to a man, our group combines high-performance Freeview HD 1080p screens plus some level of Internet connectivity. These …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gavin Hamill

Samsung UE40D8000 - iPlayer

This telly does have BBC iPlayer - just irritatingly you can't get at it from the 'Smart Hub' - you have to push the red button on BBC One on Freesat.

1. Dapprman

Panasonic P42G20 iPlayer

is the same

2. Sir Runcible Spoon
    FAIL

Sir

What's the point of network connecitivity if, for the most part, it doesn't work.

I think I counted a total of one that could stream MPEG's across a network.

1. Ammaross Danan
      Coat

Expensive

That's a large price premium for network (non)connectivity.

Find a larger, or cheaper TV without worrying about network connectivity and pick up a Western Digital WD TV Live Plus 1080p HD Media Player. Then, in 2 years when it's obsolete, ditch it and buy a newer one. Loads cheaper than just ditching your TV and buying a newer one....

2. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Extra cost not really worth it...

The difference in price in one of these TVs compared to it's conventional counterpart will pay for an HTPC or an appliance that already makes these embedded features seem obsolete.

3. Craig Chambers
      Stop

reviewer error

The reviewer either ran out of time, or did not have many media types.

Sony TVs support MPEG2 as well as AVCHD videos. Not exactly a stunning range of formats, but certainly better than just the (relatively) obscure AVCHD format.

I use both formats via DLNA on my 37EX403 (essentially the same TV as the 40EX43B, only slightly smaller display and minus the Blu-ray player).

3. Steve Lloyd
    Stop

LG Models - iPlayer

Your table says that the two LG models do not have the iPlayer, but in the text it says they do.

4. Busby
    Thumb Up

[insert title joke here]

Quite fancy the Toshiba to replace my 3 year old Regza, prices certainly have come down since getting that though.

Also I'm still not tempted by any of the 3d models doesn't appeal to me in the home at all.

Nice write up, good to know the options since I feel an upgrade to my living room contents coming.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

LE40C650

Good to see a TV that allows you to turn off the picture and just have the audio.

Normally I wouldn't waste the electricity on listening to Freeview radio on a TV, but with the picture off, it must be comparable to the power used by a stereo system.

(Actually it's a useful feature for a lot of TV, especially documentaries which love to shove pointless images in that do nothing to enhance the audio - Horizon, I'm looking at you).

1. teacake

@AC 14:43

"Good to see a TV that allows you to turn off the picture and just have the audio.

(Actually it's a useful feature for a lot of TV, especially documentaries which love to shove pointless images in that do nothing to enhance the audio - Horizon, I'm looking at you)."

Or not looking at Horizon, if you take your own advice...

6. Lottie

10 years on

I view tellyboxes as an investment. My current one is a good 10 years old now and starting to get a bit ropey. My biggest worry about buying a fancy assed telly like the ones with their online media portals is the concern that in 10 years time, will the portals still be active?

1. Magnus_Pym

Poor investment

As it devalues very quickly. But I agree with you I don't want to spend that sort of money on bells and whistles that stop working after 6 months. Betamax should tell us something.

Also I'd like to see some kind of longevity rating for the screen types. What will the picture be like in 10 years time? Of course no-one really knows. The technology is evolving all the time. In the same way that no-one really knows how tall a Leylandii hedge can grow as even the first created Hybrids are still growing, no-one knows how these things age.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Grenade

Re: Poor investment (Longevity)

In the case of a pair of tellies I bought from a certain Korean manufacturer (LE40A656, T220HD) my longevity estimate would be around about 24 months.

For the record the warranty doesn't extend that far, whatever the EU, Trading Standards et al, or indeed my receipt says about it (according to the manufacturer).

As it turns out the root cause was down to some bulging electrolytic caps in the PSUs. I replaced the caps myself rather than pay someone £200 a shot replace the PSU boards with identically broken PSU boards which would fail < 2 years down the line again.

Strangely the T220HD's faulty caps appeared to have already been replaced (judging by the messy joints and burn marks on the board), and the failed caps were a different brand from the others on the board.

2. MJI Silver badge

Run things for a long time here

I replace every 9 to 10 years as well. I have had 3 large TVs so far in my life and I am nearly 50.

I am also an early adopter.

I ran a first generation Wega IDTV until I got a HDTV.

My HDTV doesn't do Freesat or Freeview HD, just normal Freeview.

My current 46" better last that extra 7 to 8 years!

Only thing I am missing is 3D but I get headaches from that.

I spend a lot rarely rather than less more frequently.

As to Betamax - the only working VCRs I have, happen to have that printed on them, mind you they have only been used for PC video capture since we got our first digital terrestrial PVR (pre Freeview).

Just make sure you have plenty of HDMI ports.

7. Chz

Chart and article do not match

Both Samsungs have iPlayer in their review and not in the chart.

Also, it would be nice to have prices in the chart. The LED Samsung is a lot nicer than the CCFL one, but it's also double the price.

Not being able to play MKVs from your NAS on the Samsung is a failure of your NAS' DLNA config, not the television. I play 1080p movies over the network on a C650 all the time, no recoding.

8. overloaded
    FAIL

Plasma + Backlit = Divide By Zero

I didn't think plasma display needed a backlit source since each set of pixels produce their own light, or am I missing something about the CCFL bit.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sony Wins !

No Chance, they are on my blacklist. Do not trust them to throw some sort of DRM in your lap at later date.

All you laptop buyers - Sony disables record stereo mix function (the old record what U hear) on all their Vaio's so if you want this function look else where.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like