back to article HTC Android tablet priced up for Blighty's shoppers

Smartphone maker HTC's entry into the media tablet arena, the Flyer, will arrive in the UK imminently, according to Carphone Warehouse. The retailer has beguin taking advance orders for the fondleslab - though its website also says the Flyer has flown in and is in stock. No surprise this - HTC UK is launching the tablet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Code Monkey

£600 and a stylus?

No thanks. My Desire is great but HTC need to work on this poor effort.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Stylus is optional

The stylus isn't required, HTC have just realised that it makes drawing and very precise interaction possible.

It looks like one of the better efforts yet. But £400-500 would be more appealing.

2. DrXym

Nothing wrong with a stylus per se

It's one thing if the device forces you to use a tablet, or has a crappy resistive screen. It's quite another if it lets you CHOOSE to use a stylus or not. I really don't understand the stylus hate at all. It should be blazingly obvious that a tablet capable of taking notes through a virtual keyboard and a stylus is more useful in a range of settings over one which just offers the keyboard.

Perhaps the HTC Flyer has a crappy resistive screen which I wouldn't be too gone on. But if they managed to offer capacitive for every day use and stylus for times where pen is useful then it could be an interesting combination. Price is still too high though.

1. Ian Yates

Screen

The screen sounds very clever: capacitive for the hands but a dedicated layer for detecting the more precise stylus.

Unfortunately, from what I've read, you can't rest your hand on the screen while using the stylus :(

Drop the price a couple of hundred quid and I'll consider it.

Have they mentioned Honeycomb support for the future?

2. Richard Wharram
    WTF?

none

10 days late with this I think.

3. James Hughes 1

Insane pricing

Where do the marketing people pick these numbers from?

Will anyone buy at that price?

As for a stylus being a USP, I presume it's similar to the rather well known, and much cheaper Nintendo DS, so not really pushing back the boundaries of innovation.

Madness.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Let me see.

iPad 2 (with 10" screen") for £399 or HTC Flyer (7" screen) for £600?

Wake up HTC!

1. Karnka
      FAIL

Sigh

I'm not saying that the price from HTC is appealing but at least get your facts right when you criticise.

The 3G, 32GB iPad (i.e. equivalent) is £580, not £400.

2. Carol Orlowski
      Stop

Personally I would have neither.

The iPad2 is crap, the HTC is overpriced.

If I am going to buy a tablet, it will definately be Android, and it would have to arrive with a dual-core chip, capacitive touchscreen, honeycomb OS and 10in screen, and be £400ish.

Otherwise forget it.

1. Karnka

so...

an Asus transformer:

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Tablets/buy-ASUS-Eee-PAD-TRANSFORMER-Tablet/717703

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So if the iPad is "crap" it's logical you would agree with the phrase...

"if I ran the company I wouldn't have released that piece of crap to Market"

Right,... your opinion and judgement counts for a lot.

5. DrXym

Ouch HTC have lost the plot

The Acer Iconia A100 is a 7" tablet running Android 3.0 for £300. Perhaps it's some kind of sophisticated tax writeoff. Can't think of any other reason they'd send a product out to die like this.

6. Big_Ted
    FAIL

WTF.............

They have to be joking........

Who on earth would buy for that price.

You could buy the Motorola Xoom 3G and a £15 stylus for a fiver less.

I can see these flying straight back to HTC as unsold stock.

In fact you could buy an HTC desire and a galaxy tab for not much more.......

Got to be an epic fail...............

1. DrXym

Xoom would suck with a stylus

The Xoom is a capacitive multi touch screen. That makes it great when you're stroking the screen and bloody awful when you're trying to write. That multitouch means just resting your hand on the screen would confuse the device since it can't tell the difference between a pen stroke and your hand.

You'd have to avoid touching the screen (and write like a 4 year old) or wear special gloves to avoid this, or hold out hope that someone will produce an adequate software solution.

I have no idea if the HTC is resistive or not. The screen shots suggest their stylus has a button on it which may mean they have some kind of software mode that is enabled when it is pressed to ignore certain kinds of inputs.

1. RichyS
        Thumb Down

@DrXym

The Xoom sucks /without/ a stylus.

7. Khaptain Silver badge
    FAIL

What a letdown

I love HTC's smartphones and would love to get my hands on the Flyer.

But at 600 quid all it's going to do is Fly straight out of the window. Android 2.3 is suitable for phones but just wasn't intended for tablets.

The Asus Transformer is probably going to be my next "I want one of those" purchases.

Shame on you HTC.

Overpriced, inappropriate OS, late to market, the etch-a-sketch Stylus is not that cool. and lets not forget

IT'S TOO DAMNED EXPENSIVE.

Fail, fail , fail

8. RichyS
    FAIL

How much?

If the only difference between this an a Galaxy Tab is the styles, then who makes the fecking stylus? Mont Blanc?

9. lou

RRP

RRP and real selling price are 2 different things.

Lets see what it's selling for once it's launched, 'droid table price competition will be fierce.

My guess; in 6 months it'll be £300.

10. Paul
    Boffin

early adopter's price

this is clearly an early adopter's price

as for the value of the stylus, you can buy stylii for capacitive screens off ebay for a pound or two...even Maplin's have them.

the "transformer" tablet seems to be to be the best one if you want to spend lots.

11. BorkedAgain
    WTF?

Woah.

Sorry HTC; I love your mobiles (my Desire has been an ambassador for your brand, and for Android, for months) and this looks like some seriously useful kit but c'mon. Are you serious?

Just out of interest, how does this compare with its rest-of-world price? Is this the usual take-the-dollar-price-and-stick-on-a-pound-sign shenanigans?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

The "they have to be joking"'s were all aimed at the iPad until about 2 months ago

"They have to be joking, I could get a netbook with USB 3.0 ports SD slot and integrated cup holder for that price"

Interesting how it's all turned around. Could it be the avalanche of sales and the growing understanding tablets offer more what the average user wants of computers moment by moment than desktop's or laptops/netbooks offer?

Could it be the snipping has stopped because fondleslab deniers are beginning to look a wee bit foolish before the massive evidence a certain fruity company got it so hugely right?

I give it 10 months before, like last time, the Fandroids forget who innovated this particular corner and start pretending anyone who thinks Google were following the lead must be just plain ignorant (anticipating frantic "OMG! OMG! Apple never invented that!" replies, there is a difference between invention and innovation, innovation being about the combination of creative implementation and execution) The spectacle of Google scrabbling to keep up is currently still too undeniable for that line to be taken.

iOS was originally a fondleslab project which was adapted to mobile phones, which is one of the reasons cross device uniformity and planning have been so strong.

13. Fuzz

stylus

Pretty sure the stylus on this is an active digitiser type. This is totally different to a resistive stylus found on PDAs and a million miles away from the £2 type you can buy for capacitive screens.

I'm guessing that in pen mode the touch screen is disabled so that you can rest your hand on the screen whilst drawing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, the pen even has a battery

Which makes me wonder how much will replacement pens cost...

14. David Paul Morgan
    Alien

I like the stylus...

... especially if they revive the Palm OS 'graffiti' concept.

I love the HTC product range (mostly) and love my Desire, but 600GBP - someone is having a larf!

We need a Curates Egg icon... ET because this is a bit alien?

15. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

FlexT9 is an app for writing,

don't know about Grafitti (or remember how many Fs and Ts to put in it, anyway you know what I mean). Also don't know if it works on Android 2.3 or 3.0.

16. thecresta
    FAIL

Alternatively...

Instead I'll buy the Transformer, with the keyboard dock, and p**s the remaining £170 up the wall...

17. Stuart Halliday
    WTF?

Capitalism at work

Of course it's overpriced.

HTC knows what it's doing.

Every new product a manufacturer produces tries to take the 'cream' initially.

It'll be reduced in price within a few months of release. Wait and see. :)

Why act all surprised at this? They all do it.

18. Gangsta
    FAIL

oversized phone

I see they've been lax with the design. Basically it looks like a massive HTC Hero and other models.

Just look at the size of the camera, the HTC logo and the buttons. It is impossible to tell it's a tablet from pictures alone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like