back to article Corrupt bank worker jailed over Trojan-powered tax scam

A former local business manager at a bank who participated in a £3.2m self assessment tax fraud was jailed for three years and three months on Friday. Nikola Novakovic, 34, conspired with Oleg Rozputnii, 28, to register over 1,050 fictitious taxpayers on the Income Tax Self Assessment system. The pair claimed fraudulent tax …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Won't happen anymore...

From what I understand, new immigration laws will only let you get in the UK if you have skills we don't already have, and I don't think that we have a penury of corrupt bankers just yet.

They say they'll recover the whole £3.2m, but how since the fraudsters spent lavishly? On eBay a Porsche 911="meh", but if previouly owned by a convicted fraudster= "wow, I 'll definitely pay a premium for that one"? I don't think so.

And why do always IT criminals always come from Russia or ex USSR? Laws prevent profiling people on nationality or ethnicity, but boy, aren't the statistics uncanny. Hell, I even decided to post as AC to hope avoiding ligitigation due to having dared observing a correlation.

1. Dimitrov
      FAIL

tool

"IT criminals always come from Russia or ex USSR"

Yea, just like all burglars are Africans and terrorists are always Arabs.

Correlation is not causation, you tool.

Wake up. Crime has no nationality.

2. url
    FAIL

lol @ won't happen anymore

I'm not sure if you're being ironic or not.

But, I'm guessing that paperwork will not prevent somebody who is willing to commit fraud.

The two facts kinda offset each other.

eg.

UK govt: we want skills x, y, or z.

fraudsters: I have skills x & y & z

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

3 years?

How is a three year sentence (which probably means 18 months with "good behaviour") supposed to act as a deterrent, when there are potentially millions to be made? Would 10 years, or maybe 5 years breaking rocks every day, not deliver a more salutary lesson?

1. Fatman
      FAIL

RE: deliver a more salutary lesson

That's easy, a .357 hollow point to the back of the head.

I can guarantee that this offender will break no more laws!

4. Onyx26
    FAIL

Poor taste

With millions in the bank(s), you'd think they could have bought better cars!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i don't think so

quote "HMRC takes tax fraud seriously".

Ahem, not when you report, with conclusive evidence, ex-wives they don't.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Notably absent

The name of the bank.

Pourquoi?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like