back to article Google drops Schmidt for Elop, Android for WinPho 7

After jumping from Microsoft to Nokia, where he promptly dropped Symbian in favor of Microsoft Windows Phone 7, Steven Elop is moving on once again. To Google. On Friday, Google announced that after a change of heart by its board of directors, Elop rather than cofounder Larry Page will take over the company's CEO post from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Electric Panda
    Happy

Very droll

I thought this was a bit late, but then noticed the author was in San Francisco.

Well played :)

2. GoGlen
    Pint

Sleepy

It took me until the 2nd paragraph to "get it"... oops!

Beer - must have had too much of it last night.

3. J. Cook Silver badge
    Go

Had me going for a second there...

But then, I worked at a place a number of years ago that went through.. 4? 5? CEOS in the 20 months that I was there.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Off fishing

I could hardly believe that nokia dropped symbian for wp7 but now google? Really shows their do no evil bullshit is a load of well bullshit

5. K. Adams
    Coffee/keyboard

"... the fragmented mess that Android has become ..."

Unlike the rest of the article, this particular snippet is unfortunately anything but an A/F joke...

1. MarkOne
      FAIL

LOL

Apple is also a fragmented mess, but Jobs doesn't tell the world about that, rather sweeps it under the carpet...

http://edovia.com/iosstats

EPIC FAIL OF THE WEEK POST

6. Leeroy
    Thumb Up

Whats the date

Very good, thanks for the giggles.

7. SplitBrain
    FAIL

Bit Crap Really...

Not a very good April fools attempt, at least make it a little believable!

Microsoft buy's Red Hat, now that would be a good (and scary) April fool.

1. kissingthecarpet
      Stop

Shh..

Don't say that - they might hear you...

Good one from the Reg - topical AFs always best. In other news, Steve Ballmer & Richard Stallman are in love and are getting married in June.

2. Ammaross Danan
      Joke

Not quite

No, MS buying Red Hat would be just as obvious. Perhaps "Microsoft Accidentally Posts Windows Kernel Source on Own CodePlex Site."

1. Ilgaz

You can't kill redhat buying it.

The magic of "fanatic" GPL , the particular license (not BSD) is: It makes the software and openness immortal. You can't pull mysql or openoffice/java tricks with GPL code. Also yes, FSF Lawyers are evil too ;)

That is why there are actual paid PR companies who particularly targets GPL and the person who seems to be boss of it (he isn't), "rms".

Each time you see "but GPL is so fanatic, rms made sexist joke" comment, think about it.

3. Ilgaz

Posting from Symbian

These things doesn't have "uptime" command but I can say my E71 with fraction of WP7 RAM/CPU has been running for 6 days now, without a byte of memory leak or any kind of sluggishness.

As I am a "real" smartphone user since 7650, I also heavily multitask and really push the device to its limits, not to post to youtube but really part of my computing style. Anyway, that gives me 2 days of runtime on 2 years old battery.

Now, just put yourself into my place and likely 100M Symbian owners who -really- weren't been tricked by evil Nokia and think about what we felt when that idiot came up to stage, like an assistant of Balmer and announced Windows Switch, which is 180 degree opposite of Symbian. They also called the entire community dumb, thinking all these people happily running Symbian will switch to Windows!

We really had our April fools early and it wasn't funny.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Ironically

there is a fair amount of truth in some of that

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

As someone whose...

....years of Nokia experience have been rendered valueless by Elop's shenanigans, forgive me for not finding this funny at all.

This topic is closed for new posts.