back to article Nigeria fails to enact cyber crime laws

Nigeria has failed to pass broad-ranging laws against cybercrime. A collection of six laws put before the country's parliament last month would have outlawed many forms of internet misuse, including spamming, online ID theft, and buying goods online using stolen credit card details. All remain permissible in Nigeria, whose …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Refugee from Windows
    Grenade

Laws?

It's alright having the laws, but like over here if they choose to never actually enforce them.

2. ManUtdUSA

Great opportunity for you, <insert name here> ...

Not passing these laws has freed up £164million.

Please provide me with your personal information and bank account number and I will give you £16.4million.

3. Harry

Hmmm ...

Article 419 of the Nigerian Criminal Code has done such a "brilliant" job of preventing advanced fee fraud that the Nigerian Parliament obviously has the necessary experience and qualifications to rid the world of all internet-related ills.

But shouldn't this have been published *before* mid day?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a problem

Nigeria will be gone before long.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"All this is hurting the development of e-commerce in the country."

That probably depends on who is defining it.

According to my inbox, it is thriving.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Loophole?

Surely this sort of activity is illegal for the countries providing the internet access to Nigeria, can't they use that as a means of enforcing this issue?

I think maybe there's some vested interests in Nigerian Parliament that wants to keep things as they are.

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

say what??

It's legal to buy stuff with stolen card details? Then why does anyone bother with the huge effort of 419? To hell with spamming, keeping mail accounts open, sending stupid fake certificates in the mail... Why not just buy 5000 card numbers from Ivan Ivanov and let the fencing begin?

8. Wang N Staines

maybe

block *.nigeria internet traffics from the world? Problem sorted!!!

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

... third world country...

... first world 'aspirations'

When I lived in South Africa for a few years, this was the typical stance of the government there.

Forget the rampant crime wave, the AIDS orphans, the 40% unemployment figures, the massive illiteracy - heck, all those are far too tricky to deal with.

Instead, we'll announce the same sort of stuff that first world countries are doing, despite the fact that the relevance in the country is ... pretty much zero.

South Africa struggles to even enforce serious crimes and thus has no hope in hell of enforcing cybercrime.

I'm fairly certain Nigeria is in the same boat.

Still, it looks good on paper ... "Hey, we're an advanced nation too you know, we've got our cyber crime laws, just like Europe!"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Three strikes is over rated

Allowing criminals three strikes is over rated. A bullet is a much more effective means to end their crime spree against society. It's completely foolish to house these people in prison for life because they are too stupid to live by law.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

spEak You're bRanes comes to The Register?

I say, make them pay for the bullet!

And clean the gun afterwards.

1. The main man

Two morons on top

What does violence acheive?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like