back to article Apple finalises first iOS 4.3 update

Apple will update iOS 4.3 to 4.3.1 within a week or two, it has been claimed. No prizes for spotting that it'll be a relatively minor release - a fact highlighted by the bug-fix list posted by BGR. The new firmware contains only two notable tweaks: new baseband code for the iPad and iPhone 3GS, and "fixed iPad 2 jailbreak …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Wheaty73
    Stop

Missing a few bugs Apple...

Graphics on iPod Touch 4G when you get a reminder in standby for one thing...

You might want to make it a bit Snappier(tm) as well.

2. Ian K
    Jobs Horns

Still not fixed the really tricky stuff, then?

Which is - it seems - making alarms work properly (or at all) over Daylight Saving and New Year boundaries.

Apple: generously supplying their very own version of the Y2K bug at least 3 times a year...

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Timezone DST Problem

So they've still not fixed the Timezone / Daylight Savings Time issue then?

4. JeffyPooh
    Grenade

How about the new WiFi Hotspot feature on 3GS?

I understand that Mr. Jobs et al are withholding the WiFi Hotspot feature from pre-4 iPhones.

Anyone understand why? I mean, besides marketing?

I might have to look into Jail Breaking my iPhone if they're going to play silly games...

1. Si 1

You'll have to pay for it...

I'm not a jailbreak expert but I think the jailbreak equivalent to Hotspot is something called MyWi, which is $24.99 on Cydia, or $4.99 if you're upgrading from an older version. So if you do jailbreak, be prepared to spend some cash. It's not all open source and freebies outside of the walled garden.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Jailbreaking the jailbreak...

To be fair, there seems to be a ridiculous amount of dodgy software repositories for jailbroken phones... I don't condone this.

I am just surprised by the sheer volume! I added one, looking for a specific 'free' based legacy software item, and up came all new cydia software.

I see people will still do anything for a free sandwich.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Pirate

or maybe not

many who venture outside the walled garden have no regret of installing pirated versions of anything

1. The Other Steve
          Thumb Down

Oh so they aren't just thieves

They are unabashed thieves.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. The Other Steve
      Coat

Not a Direct Answer

"I understand that Mr. Jobs et al are withholding the WiFi Hotspot feature from pre-4 iPhones."

4.3 is no longer under NDA since build 4A304a was officially released, so I can rather grumpily inform you that the hotspot feature will work just peachy on your 3GS, but your carrier will almost certainly require you to pay them for a tethering plan just the same as before, so don't get your hopes up.

I've no idea about the other carriers, but O2 in particular will take you to a 'pay up or fuck off' website as soon as you try to activate the feature, offering to sell you a bolt on of 500MB for GBP 7.50 a month (IIRC), which is frankly laughable unless you absolutely must have the convenience of tethering. But then again, what are you going to tether to it ? Netbook ? Get a PAYG dongle. iPad ? Get a 3 PAYG iPad SIM.

I can't advise you to jailbreak your phone or Steve Jobs will send flying monkeys to bukakke me, but that's the only way you're going to get that functionality without a carrier signed provisioning profile.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Great!

Good one, those weren't really big bugs but good to see them being cleaned up.

If only the Android manufacturers could learn a little from you guys and regularly updated their phones.. now those have some really ugly ones.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well..

Maybe because Apple did not want to pay extra to Broadcom for the special firmware that would make the chip in the 3GS support AP mode? As the iPhone 4 uses a more modern chip, plus it's still sold at premium price maybe they didn't mind.

Btw, the MyWi only supports WEP, AFAIK only Personal Hotspot supports WPA encryption.

7. the-elf
    Jobs Horns

not happy

Well were are my security updates for a six month old I pod Touch 8 Gb. Just because their was no 3rd gen 8Gb Ipod touch doesn't mean you should stop supporting it when it was in the shops up to Christmas time. very poor support from Apple.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like