back to article Cloud says 'no'

Apart from a few laggard evangelists and smaller vendors with nothing else to sell, most people with an interest in cloud computing have concluded that a wholesale move of everything IT into the cloud won’t happen any time soon. The various reasons boil down to a couple of fundamentals - that some things will always need to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Security

Handing the 'crown jewels' of your business, your commercial data, to a "cloud" vendor is delusional.

Particularly so if that vendor is someone with a track record like BT, or Google.

The cloud; its vapourware for idiots.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Really?

I run our business from the cloud. Desktops are incumbent, but core systems are cloud-tastic. From a 3rd party perspective, this primarily means CRM and finance, since the other core aps are custom builds (also in the cloud). We do daily backups of all to our DC and off site. So where's the problem?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Where's the problem ?

I'm glad to know that your company is putting its business secrets in the hands of cloud operators. Could you please specify which company it is you work for ? So that I know who not to do business with - after all, I'm not interested in seeing my private and credit card details plastered all over the web the day your cloud operator gets hacked.

Riding a bike can be done without touching the handles as well - right up to the split second you need your hands on the handles to steer around a sudden obstacle.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

Vapourware for idiots

@AC

If you really think that your own data-center is more secure because it's contained in 4 walls you own and you can lock the door, well, that's delusional.

Cloud providers (those serious about that) reside often on Tier4-5 infrastructures while 90% of the companies I visit as a consultant leave much to desire in terms of security.

Public Clouds might not sell in EU because our aversion to cross-border services (EC is a governance puzzle) but you might find that a local (read: national) Cloud provider might do the job and deliver better security and continuity that an on-premise DC.

And I admit it, Cloud is not for everybody, labeling it vapourware is a stretch of generalization.

You tell me in 5 years time.

2. bob's hamster

Title

Awesome title. That is all.

3. JamesHailstone

A sea change

I'm posting this looking at the reg website which has been taken over by Microsoft and its "To The Cloud" message. Everywhere I go, everywhere I look, it's cloud. The fact that the big boys are spending billions on advertising surely must tell you that there is something happening, and that this isn't just a fad.

The technology now is mature enough that you can get the same experience on practically any device as you would on your home Windows 7 PC. And in this day and age of appliance and mobile type devices (iwhatever) access is quick, secure, and most importantly the same everywhere you go and on any device.

PC's are already dying, the software complexity of PC's now make it more costly to run than it is to buy it!

I say again, ignore this change at your peril!

Shameless plug: www.londoncloud.co

James

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

There is simply no real advantage...

"Cloud Computing" simply offers virtually nothing to the average IT department, or user (???off-site storage???... big whoop... considering the DOWN-SIDE). It ["Cloud Computing"] DOES however offer everything that any (abusive, competitively-threatened, repeatedly convicted illegal monopolistic) corporation (that is desperate to control consumers) could ever dream of...

I.E.

-Unending, forceful extraction, of whatever payment for computer-usage the "Cloud" -provider demands.

-Absolute end-control of computer-users.

-Complete LOCK-IN (once a vendor is chosen).

-Complete loss of consumer-control over functionality.

-Additional "fees" for every little-bit of "functionality", or "use" ("technological-method" for this already, actually, "Patented" by "Microsoft"... by the way).

-Destruction of ANY private "ownership" rights, what-so-ever (so... "Individual Rights" GONE... "First Sale" GONE... "Fair Use" GONE... "Consumer Rights" GONE... "Right to publish Independent Assessment" GONE... "Right to effective legal-redress" GONE... Read your "EULA" and "TOS").

-Complete elimination of any type of "privacy" related to IT-usage (or, potentially, personal-data) .

These are just some of the specific gains for certain (M)ajor (S)oftware vendors that are currently pushing "Software as a Service" (I.E. "Cloud Computing")... so hard.

If you want to perennially pay for your "Dumb Terminal" to "allow" you access to any computer-capabilities... And, trust someone else with you data/livelihood... And, hand-over all security to a third-party... And, depend upon numerous EXTERNAL-resources for virtually ALL data-processing capabilities... And, effectively give up ALL control, and choice, of those computer-capabilities... Go for it.

But... personally, I just don't know anybody... with at least half a brain... and/or any real computer-industry experience... who thinks this is actually a good idea... for consumers, OR, businesses.

1. William Gates Esq

Step Out From the Shadows

You obviously don't know many people!

5. Tom 38
    Troll

@James: Shill much?

Oh, the big boys are advertising it? Shit, why didn't someone tell us, now I want it. Are you aware that a 'cloud' is nothing more than an allegedly scalable managed service with unknown bounds on cost?

I'm currently working in China for a couple of weeks. No clouds here, and any service I would want to use in your lovely clouds is beyond slow.

Any application not running in the cloud works just fine and dandy.

Also, when being a company shill, you probably don't get top marks if you fail to include the complete URL to your shameless plug. It's the little things - perhaps the '.co.uk' is missing because your cloud drifted off..

6. Tom 38

@James, my bad

www.londoncloud.co is your actual domain. Well done, you win the most abused URI award, 2011.

Still, anyone looking for a London based cloud in Colombia will find you right off the bat.

7. phil-the-fish
    WTF?

Is it me?

Hmmm vapourware for idiots! Surely its just back to the future (or should that be past)! Isn't the cloud merely a green screen gone colour?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like