back to article Oracle puts out Solaris 11 compatibility tester

The Oracle Technology Network Garage – the blog where system administrators and developers hang out in the World According to Larry – has announced that the software giant has put out a tool to help customers figure out if their Solaris applications will be compatible with the upcoming Solaris 11. "Most applications currently …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*most* applications?

I have binaries compiled on Solaris 2.1 that still run on S10. There's no excuse for breakage between S10 and S11, even though S11 looks less like Unix every week...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Jobs Horns

re: blah

The compatibility guarantee has always covered all open libraries. If someone decided to be tricky and use a closed library, then they may or may not be compatible. This is as the guarantee has always been, and it appears that Oracle is continuing. Try running old binaries for RHEL, SUSE, AIX or HP-UX... it will not work in most cases. Hell, in RHEL's case incompatibilities happen between kernel revs!!!

Evil Steve 'cuz he never met a binary he couldn't imcompatiblate.

2. Ian 35

2.1? hah

I have a binary compiled on SunOS 4.1.1, circa 1990, on a Sun 4/470 for which the source was lost. A couple of oddities had to be fixed under the platinum beta programme, but it has been kept running through to Solaris 10 (not really needed, but a handy test case).

2. pan2008
    FAIL

why bother

When moving to Linux?? Solaris boxes are expensive monsters than offer no real value. We are moving our database to windows server and other stuff to linux.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Jad
        Stop

RE: I would agree, but...

<whisper> https://supporthtml.oracle.com/ </whisper>

you didn't hear it from me ;-P

Moving a database to a windows box just seems plain wrong to me ... when we had to get a PervasiveDB working recently, for the Accounts dept, knowing it doesn't run on Solaris we installed it on an Ubuntu box, with tar/rsync backup systems onto our Solaris boxes. (Shame we couldn't run it in an lx zone, but it needed a 2.6 kernel) ... we even paid extra to do this even though we had a paid for 10 user license to run it on a windows server as part of the Accounts package.

2. Jay 2
        FAIL

RIP Sun

With a few remaining Solaris boxes around I too have suffered the demise of SunSolve and the introduction of Oracle's "replacement". Similarly, under Oracle support for Sun kit is terrible. No more actually calling people, they insist on you doing stuff online... which they can ignore!

I think the stuff that runs on our Sun kit is due to be phased out at the end of the year, to be replaced by something penguin friendly I'm sure.

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Moving to windows server

You're changing from a Solaris system to Windows Server for your *database*?!

Good luck with your next outage...

3. Jim 59

Solaris

I am a huge Linux fan, but Solaris is technically the best OS of all, by some margin, and not just because of ZFS. That is why it survives, plus the large user base among banks, telcos and other corporations.

All the same, there must be doubts about Solaris long term. It grew from a atmosphere of innovation which existed in Sun but does not exist at Oracle.

3. Ejnar

What is a 'Solaris box' ?

not sure I'm familiar with the term.

At our site we run Solaris on IBM servers, HP servers and Sun servers (X86 and SPARC). Why do people insist on using the word 'Solaris' as a synonym for SPARC I do not know. If you are unhappy with SPARC box what has that to do with a yes/no choice on Solaris as an OS? You do realize that Solaris gives you the choice right ?

Solaris is no better, no worse than say RHEL or AIX, but one very big advantage is that it allows us to pick the right CPU arch for the job without introducing another OS. As a telco we have to span multiple use cases like very IO intensive jobs, HPC jobs, etc

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like