back to article VMware lets Apple fondleslabs tickle Windows VDI

Hot on the heels of a new 4.6 release of its View virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), launched last week, VMware is allowing a new client to reach back across the internet or internal corporate networks to use server-based Windows desktops: Apple's iPad and impending iPad 2 fondleslabs. Like the Windows, Linux, MacOS, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy/hard to use?

Won't this be as awkward as using Windows via any other touch interface? Or is it tolerable for light use?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

VDI

Since VDI is a per-seat license, and has an annual support fee, do you think Apple will force them to provide support subscriptions through iTunes?

1. Grant Mitchell
      Troll

# ac

I wasn't aware apple forced anyone to purchase subscriptions via them. Perhaps you are confusing the fact that they don't allow subscriptions to be sold for cheaper than an in app purchase, and are just looking to troll?

1. The Indomitable Gall

Read what he wrote.

He said they're forced to "provide" subscriptions, not forced to "purchase" subscriptions.

3. Assumed Name
    Happy

Wyse PocketCloud

I have been accessing my Windows virtual machine via my iPad for a year. From 3000 miles away running VPN on iPad. That's how we roll at my company.

Wyse PocketCloud is the app I have been running.

It is the greatest answer to the question, "What are you going to do with that thing?"

You show them a Windows desktop. LOL.

It is great for light use and situations where you need server class horsepower. I don't use my VDI (virtual desktop image) to do email. The standard iOS client is much better for day to day use...but if you need the "real thing" it is great to have access to full blown Windows.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree!

I've just installed this on my Android and found it surprisingly usable for small jobs while out and about. I'm assuming the iPad version has the funky cursor wheel that provides everything you need (right-click/scroll wheel/keyboard popup etc.) at your fingertips?

While on an Android phone most of the screen is covered while typing, I imagine it's an even better experience on an iPad/tablet.

4. dogged
    WTF?

"We think the tablet is the right mobile device for a full desktop experience,"

wat

1. Player_16
      Jobs Halo

Hey...

...Didn't Steve Balmer say something like that?

5. HMB

Nothing like a laggy Virtual Desktop

Mmmm... nothing like waiting a couple of seconds for an input to be received and rendered back at the client. Even better over WiFi too.

Seriously, virtual desktops are great for admin, but they're no substitute for working on a local machine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

If that is your experience of virtual desktop, the VDI systems that you are using are badly sized, or your network isn't up to the job.

I've been working on VDI systems since 2003, when it was very much a 'roll your own' affair and the only times that it's been laggy is when the VM servers have been overloaded. This includes running from the UK to India.

Anyway, does anyone else remember "Host Wait"...

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

People pay money for this? Help me understand why.

Er, maybe I'm just dim, but wtf can I do with this that I can't already do for free with VNC client and server, where Windows, Linux, etc are already valid OSes for host or client and you can have a client on Android too (maybe even a server?).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPad 1 Video out

I may be wrong but I believe the HDMI out will work with the original iPad (and maybe the iPhone) as well, just not at 1080p. We will see soon no doubt.

8. Dexter Berlekey
    Unhappy

Don't need to take iPad out at the airport?

This used to be the case, but recent trips thought Terminals 1 and 3 at Heathrow, this seems to have changed and they now need to be take out, which is a pain.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Mobile clients...

You *can*already get remote desktop (RDP) clients for iPhone, Android and Windows phone - one would think this could be utilised to provide VDI services.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

The joke is wearing thin

Come on El Reg, please stop using the term 'fondleslab' - the first couple of times it was amusing, but now its use is starting to irritate almost as much as the tablet fetish itself.

Regarding the use of a VDI client on a tablet, it seems that people are trying to turn a media consumption device into a work computer, something they are clearly not designed or suitable for.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like