back to article WordPress comes under 'extremely large' web attack

WordPress came under massive attack on Thursday, causing disruptions for many of the sites that rely on the webhosting platform to publish their content. “WordPress.com is currently being targeted by a extremely large Distributed Denial of Service attack which is affecting connectivity in some cases,” Sara Rosso, a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Stop

OK, who upset the skiddies?

I'm betting on there being a high pimple to social kill ratio involved.

2. tom 24
    Pint

Pardon me for asking...

This may seem like a weird question, but... WHY? Why would anyone want to DDOS Wordpress? I really don't get it.

The world is going to hell. I'm going to get a beer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ddos isn't what it used to be

Criminals used to ddos gambling sites demanding ransom - life was simple.

These days of universal fast broadband connections mean throwing a few Gbits around just isn't that hard, people can do it for shits and giggles - like here.

Most likely someone blogged saying x or y was crap and this is retaliation. Until ISPs around the world are forced to control what exits their networks my advice would be to not piss people off, you never know.

3. Mage Silver badge

8.5%?

That 8.5% is irrelevant. That includes non-Worrdpress hosted copies installed elsewhere.

The attack isn't against all wordpress installs, but only against Wordpress's own servers.

1. John King 1

Correct

WordPress.com and the self-hosted CMS available from WordPress.org are two different beasts.

Those hosting their own WordPress sites would be totally unaffected by this.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

In case anyone wondered

(Matt Bryant, I see you trollin...)

This was unequivocally NOT an AnonOp.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

RE: In case anyone wondered

Whilst I'm amused to see your autnomic reaction is to assume "skiddies" = Anon, I think you need to switch to decaf and tone down the defensiveness. Even I can't see a reason for Anon to be hitting Wordpress. These are more likely to be bored Chinese skiddies doing criminal acts for fun, rather than bored over-privelleged Western skiddies doing criminal acts due to a misplaced sense of moral outrage.....

5. JP19

(((solution)))

err, pass the prolexic.com please

6. doperative

extremely large Distributed Denial of Service?

> WordPress.com is currently being targeted by a extremely large Distributed Denial of Service attack

What desktop OS are we not allowed to mention in this context?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like