back to article iPad 2 spawns updated iOS and apps

In addition to unveiling the iPad 2, Apple revealed details of the operating system that will run on its new fondleslab and other capable iOS devices, while also demmoing two new apps that will ship with iOS 4 and two that will be available from the iTunes App Store. iOS 4.3 includes a number of enhancements and new features …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

What happens to the Internet tethering...

....On the existing iOS versions then? Last time I looked it was £10-£15 extra a month to share your 3G to other devices... Unless you jailbroke

1. Wpgwill

title

This is carrier specific, I don't pay anything extra for it. Similar arrangement on Android for some of the hotspot features.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Happy

Tethering?

Works fine on my Nexus S on AT&T and doesn't cost a penny.

2. tanj666
    Thumb Down

Flummoxed?1

Apple will no doubt copyrite (sic) that word shortly so I'll have to be quick ...

Same old tat, same old wrapper.

I can't believe the column inches wasted on non-news!

Please people, stop worshipping at the alter of Lord Jobsmort. There is life outside of crappy second quality apple-goods.

Try mp3 players that put sound quality first and stupid touchy-feelie shite second instead of the other way round. After all, these things are about playing music, not bloody shopping!

1. Mike 68

Expensive music player

These things are not about playing music. Who'd buy an iPad just to listen to music? Not trying to defend the iPad, don't own one, don't want one, but your last sentence makes no sense

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
        Happy

Duh

You buy an iPad so that you can leave it on the coffee table when friends come over.

3. GuyC
    Jobs Horns

Well no suprise there then

If you have lots of "i" things it will communicate beautifully, if you own technology that dares to operate outside the walled garden.....sorry not supported.

All hail the iJobs

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Jobs Horns

DLNA?

We've heard of it.

1. adam roberts
        Happy

re: DLNA?

Can use this app adds DLNA support.

http://www.plugplayer.com/

4. Ammaross Danan
    FAIL

Specs

The specs on this iDevice look the same as the Viewsonic G-Tablet, which has been out since Nov 2010 or so. Well, the Viewsonic tablet has a crappier screen, granted. Sadly, the iPad still has only a 4:3 1024x768 screen. Such a shame. Not to mention no SD card support in sight. Hope that 16GB model can hold everything you want to do with it, or can shell out for the 32/64GB versions.

Yes, G-Tablet has the 2.2 Droid as opposed to the 3.0 in the Xoom, and is also sans 3G/4G, making it more of a comparison to the WiFi iPad2, pitching the Xoom more toward the iPad2+3G (except the Xoom will have 4G shortly, and Verizon will exchange the current 3G Xooms for a 4G version when it comes out).

I really wish Apple would have made this iPad2 a bit more competitive, rather than a spec-clone of devices that have been on the market for a month or more now.

1. Doozerboy
      Jobs Halo

Specs, smechs

So what if it's got similar specs to the viewsonic tablet? How many apps has that got?

When are you haters going to come round to the fact that it's all about the software?

1. Miek
        Linux

RE: Specs, smechs

I'll be the first to admit that there simply are not enough fart apps for android.

2. Alex Gollner
      Jobs Halo

Specs designed for next year's grab for middle of market

Seems like Apple don't feel too much heat from competitors (although non-iOS fans will disagree).

These specs are designed to live on in the iPad 2 when the iPad 3 comes out next year. A whole new market will open up when Apple sell these new ones at £150 off the current prices from Easter next year.

5. Rick 17
    WTF?

Multitasking?

I see no mention of now running background processes.......

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Multitasking

That's because it has done that since 4.2.1.

An app can choose to carry on running in the background, playing audio, using network or it can choose to remain in the background paused (useful for games).

If you don't call that multitasking then what is? do you really want something uncontrollably running in the background making noise or using up CPU cycles (and battery life)?

1. Gorbachov

false choice

I occasionally want to refresh all my podcasts. That can take a few minutes. During that time I spend browsing or doing something else. Or read a book while something downloads in the background. What do you not understand?

And why must I choose between extremely limited, almost non-existant multitasking and uncontrollable multitasking running ominous software (making noise?? wtf?) killing my battery? FFS.

If Palm and Google can do better than so can Apple. They just don't want to right now b/c of low ram in their kit.

6. dssf

Garage Band?

Band in a hand?

7. Mike G
    Jobs Horns

iYawn mk2

Tablets are for puffed up tube-exhibitionists and dimwitted sofa-turds drooling over twitter and xfactor simultaneously.

The iTard version 2 is another pointless appendage to attach in unison with apple fanbois' brains to their master and commander - the all knowing, 90mb of genius that is iTunes.

The reason iTardSlab doesn't have USB is so that these creatures can move out of their clutter of silver nick nacks and interact with things such as the toilet, their shrine to nasty old man, and the local designer roll neck sweater shop.

Like fanbois other appendages, this new sparkly has also atrophied, thinner, lighter, faster, slippery, gets a lot of self touching.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Grow up

You're obviously an unimaginative person then.

Just look for TouchOSC and see how it can be used to control lighting rigs, music software and even mixing desks.

Look at software like NanoStudio which can be used to write music.

An iPad (3G version) makes a really great Sat Nav, it has long battery life and a huge screen.

Who needs USB? there's Wifi and Bluetooth for many purposes like keyboards.

The camera kit provides a USB port for cameras and the USB port also works with some MIDI keyboards and music gear.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

personal attack

You really are a bitter twisted 'person' aren't you?

Have fun in your lonely apple-hating-world.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Joke

AC@14:15

"You really are a bitter twisted 'person' aren't you?

Have fun in your lonely apple-hating-world."

Mr Fry? How nice of you to join us.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Troll

3 down votes ?

Wow, it's so hard to tell *which* group of fanbois I've offended with this one.

TBH I'd thought the Jobs succession (and the Angel reference) would have caused more offense.

In my defense.

Stephen Fry is quite keen on Apple kit.

He has been known to engage hands and mouth before brain, leading to more than a few LOLs from the audience. Even when they *know* they shouldn't.

3. GeorgeTuk

That's a pathetic viewpoint...

...I don't have one and don't really want one but if people want to buy it so what?

Don't really understand why you dislike the company so much, maybe you could explain? Guess not as your an AC poster.

8. Shane Menshik
    FAIL

Snore...

Not even worth calling this an update is it? The speed at which Android is innovating and moving forward makes Apple look like they are sitting in neutral.. The competition has arrived, and Apple is still trying to give out crubs for updates when everyone else is giving out more power and innovation. Think its time Apple take its fanboys and go home return to their niche market share pre-the iphone madness. iOS = the cool factor is gone, the hipster factor is no more, it's now looking like old apple all over again.. bring on the cheap Apple devices to try to squeeze as much dollars outa suckers as possible.

9. Bub

"the ability to send your edited vids to ...

...YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, CNN iReport, and your iTunes library"

Surely MobileMe too?! I hope!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, it's a ipad with a camera...

Was there ever a device less suitable for photography? Don't EVERYONE with an iPad already have a cameraphone? Or failing that, an actual camera? And can you imagine trying to make a video call on it? You either have to hold an awkward heavy device up to your face, or put it down and bend over.

I have an iPad 1 - it's OK for a quick web browse. Speed has never been an issue (apart from the sites where it doesn't work at all - and that's not just Flash sites). And I do Soduko on it.

But I have no intention of upgrading.

Sorry for the AC but I'd hate to get the bile from exploding fanbois all over this hair shirt...

11. KroSha

3G sales?

"Personal Hotspot (iPhone 4 only), which, as its name implies, allows you to share your iPhone's 3G connection with other iOS devices over Wi-Fi. Oddly, no mention was made of this feature ever being available for WiFi-plus-3G iPads or iPad 2s."

Cue dismal sales of the 3G iPad2 as everyone who already has an iPhone4 doesn't bother paying for 3G data twice.

OK, I see why they did it, but a lot of the iPad2 customers will already have at least 1 iOS device already, and the iPhone has to have a data connection. So why buy another one for the iPad2?

12. Chris Richardson
    Thumb Up

Wow

Nice doorstop

13. JDX Gold badge

facetime

I find it hard to beleive you really can't figure out how to use iPad for video calls. Let's think, you're using the iPad for something, what are you doing... holding the screen up so you're looking at it fairly perpendicular. That's all you need for video chat. Even a MacFan can manage.

14. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

But...

Can it upload your recently slurrped up load of US Gov emails and documents to WikiLeaks?

Interested people want to know.

15. Far Canal

The iOS bit anyhow

I know I'm getting ripped off but being able to project the MotoGP onto the tele without having to plugin the HDMI enabled laptop on Sundays and being able to sit in the chair and play my favorite music from the iTouch through the surround sound while having a beer on Friday night makes it worthwhile. I'm sure there's an android solution but after working all week with Unix, it's nice to have some "just plug it in and it works" technology to play with almost makes it worth it - it's still a ripoff though.

1. GeorgeTuk

Not sure about the MotoGP bit...

but I agree with you.

Working in IT means when I get home I want it to work the easiest possible way. My house is a simple as can be network wise and all through a standard O2 hub, just want to turn it on and go!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like