back to article UK tribunal greenlights $17.4B advertising monopoly case against Google

The UK's Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT) has ruled that a class action lawsuit accusing Google of anti-competitive practices can proceed. The suit was originally filed in November 2022 by Ad Tech Collective Action LLP, which argues that the Chocolate Factory's dominant position in the online advertising industry has harmed …

1. SnailFerrous

Google vs Other Online Ad Companies

Is there a way they can both lose?

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Pirate

"Is there a way they can both lose?"

Yes, actually - this case might set precedent.

2. Rich 2 Silver badge

Me too!!!

Can I have some compensation too for having to go to the trouble of blocking all this shit in my browser?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only $17.4B?

Should be $1.74T That's trillion with a T just for the damage that Google has done to the world.

Not a Google user for anything other than those stupid Capcha's.

I'm free of them and Microsoft. Life can be good without them firing ads at you and stealing your data.

4. amajadedcynicaloldfart

13.6billion?

So, that'll be 13 billion for the solicitors and .6 billion for the allegedly wronged?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hit the monkey to win a free iPod

Adverts?

An interesting concept.

But thoroughly avoidable.

6. Bebu Silver badge
    Windows

I finally had to ask...

why do the Vultures refer to Google as the Chocolate Factory?

I imagined it was a reference to Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka enterprise but with a o->a vowel mutation. :)

A quick search: Mountain View Chocolate Factory confirms the connection with Dahl's creation but refers back to the first recorded use to El Rego and later by Vulture Ted Dziuba.

Apparently Oompah Loompahs were stereotypical Wonkas and with mutation, Google employees....

Having once seen inside one of big G's Chocolaterie the whole shop seemed totally doolally.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like