back to article DARPA awards in-orbit manufacturing contract to Momentus

A space company with a troubled past has been thrown a possible lifeline by DARPA, which has awarded it a contract to demonstrate the first steps towards building an orbital factory.  No, we're not talking about SpaceX or Elon Musk. This deal for the Novel Orbital and Moon Manufacturing, Materials, and Mass-efficient Design ( …

1. Yorick Hunt Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Investing in vapourware? Still, at least it keeps the CG animators employed and off the streets.

2. Bebu Silver badge
    Windows

Circus

Momentus will work with other NOM4D performers to design and refine experiments for inclusion on a future Vigoride launch.

Not short on acronyms. Vigoride sounds like an energy drink augmented with a class 1 psychoactive.

Seems like bit of a circus and said performers could be clowns. :)

Unless the microgravity environment has benefits that cannot be reproduced on Earth I would have imagined the cost of launching the raw materials for these factories is uncompetitive. If you were recycling, repairing or repurposing existing orbital materials it might make sense.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"the departure of its Russian founders"

Looks like the messy IPO was a blessing in disguise. I'm pretty sure that, would said Russian founders still be on the Board today, Momentus would ever even have been considered by DARPA.

Actually, I'm surprised it still was.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like