back to article Red Hat Enterprise Linux and AlmaLinux 8.10 released as end of the RHEL 8 line looms

Two notable North American Linux distributors have emitted the last release in their 8.x series – although other vendors have yet to catch up with that cycle. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.10 appeared last week, followed this week by AlmaLinux 8.10 "Cerulean Leopard". Rocky Linux 8.10 is expected this month, too. Oracle Linux 8. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There Isn't A Business Here At Linux Mansions.............

...............just two laptops, one workstation and one server..........all running Fedora 40.

I'm puzzled.....why would Fedora 40 be a problem for my server....or anyone else's server for that matter?

1. Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: There Isn't A Business Here At Linux Mansions.............

[Author here]

> why would Fedora 40 be a problem for my server....or anyone else's server for that matter?

Er. Firstly, I never mentioned Fedora. This is absolutely nothing to do with Fedora.

Secondly, most people want something boring and reliable for a server. A distro that puts out a fresh release every 6 months is the opposite of that. Rebuilding your server twice a year sounds like a nightmare, and so does a twice-as-major annual upgrade if you skip alternate releases.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Professiona Advice Would Help!!!

Thanks Liam.

There IS a connection between RHEL and Fedora, isn't there?

Hence my question!

Oh....by the way, the server instance here at Linux Mansions is updated every six months using the usual Fedora on-line scripts.

So....please tell me I'm an idiot.....no problems here.....but it's always useful to get the professional detail which helps to limit the damage!!

Thanks in advance!!

1. Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Professiona Advice Would Help!!!

Hey, if it works for you, fine. I know there is a Fedora Server spin:

https://fedoraproject.org/server/

I don't know a single soul using it, but there must be some.

2. mark l 2 Silver badge

My box running Oracle Linux 8 has the 8.10 update available to download when i just checked now, so i guess Oracle was only hours behind RH and Alma in getting their update out.

3. Bebu Silver badge
    Windows

'version 8.10 will be in "maintenance support" until the end of May 2029'

《version 8.10 will be in "maintenance support" until the end of May 2029 》

Five years of peace and quiet. ;)

Last night I synched my AL8.9 repos to bring them up to 8.10 and found a surprisingly small number of updates.

If your hardware is pretty static and/or is mostly server hardware from the likes of DELL (so isn't bleeding edge :) which is often the case in research/academic environments its five years of fairly uneventful OS maintenance.

I would be seriously testing *EL9 or *EL10 in three years time so there is a two year migration window.

Of course the whole world can change in five years - still you don't need a quantum computer or a 1000 NPU enables AI monstosity to run the payroll (you really don't want!)

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: AI monstosity to run the payroll (you really don't want)

When it comes to do with anything related to money then IMHO, the last thing you want is some AI shite deciding that the profit/loss you made was actually a loss/profit.

Sure, AI can be useful for finding anomalies (given the right model) but if you let it lose on your production system and not a copy then you should pack your bags and head for the door. Everyone else will not be that far behind you.

As for Payroll...? Keep AI away from it. There is nothing worse than messing around with employees salary payment to get them riled up and you ousted.

4. jaypyahoo

There are now better robust alternatives for servers. FreeBSD NetBSD

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like