back to article White House tweaks HIPAA to shield medical files of those seeking reproductive care

A revision to America's healthcare privacy rules aims to better protect abortion providers and patients seeking the procedure — and other types of reproductive care, such as in vitro fertilization and contraception — as some US states ban procedures and attempt prosecutions. A US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) …

1. Dimmer Silver badge

Is our info or not?

Who would have thought it would be illegal to allow the government to have access to your private medical info. /sarcasm/

Oh wait, what about info used by gov for red flag laws?

A bit of a twist, you hide info about aborting an unborn, but you have to give them info to stop someone from aborting ones that have been born.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Is our info or not?

Its amazing the religious nutjobs who want to impose their views on everyone else are so pissed that 3/4 of the country doesn't want their draconian abortion bans that they are stooping to the ridiculous level of trying to make people believe pro choice forces secretly want to abort children that have already been born.

Hate to tell you, but no one is buying it. Every state that has had a democratic vote, even really conservative ones like Kansas, have voted against your abortion restrictions. If you want to live that Christian Nationalist paradise you dream about, you're going to have start your own country. Quit trying to fuck mine up!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Saved from Abortion to just be gunned down later.

Guns’n’God.

2. Dimmer Silver badge

“voted against your abortion restrictions”

I did not write anything about me being against free choice. These unfounded assumptions are what break us apart. Don’t put me in a group, I make my own choices.

Just to be clear: I am against the government having my medical info. I am against the government creating a minefield of requirements on what we supposedly need to report and if we miss something they want, it is our fault for not doing their job for them.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I am against the government creating a minefield of requirements on what we supposedly need to report

Well, this rule is good news, then, because it defines something you don't need to report. In fact, that you must not report. Assuming you're a medical provider or other processor of PHI, of course; if not, it doesn't affect your reporting at all.

Or are you just complaining about regulation in general. I admit "we need surveillance because privacy is too difficult" is a refreshing, if stupid, take on the subject.

1. Dimmer Silver badge

My take is the government needs a warrant to monitor me, and access to my medical records without my permission fits in that category.

As an ISP, do you want me to allow these guys to be able to plug into the switch with a mirror port to watch your connection? I would ask to see a warrant, but the sellouts in congress passed a bill that will allow them to use my equipment to watch you without me being able to stop them or require a warrant. So, yea I guess I am a bit miffed about surveillance

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I’m sure anyone interested will just use the Soviet-grade FISA extension.

That needs struck down by the Federal Supreme Court as unconstitutional.

3. jospanner

Some day it’s going to sink in just how unpopular this christo-fascist crap really is.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Fortunately most educated countries/people are ditching medieval religion and it’s pervasive practices and malevolent influence of society at an accelerated pace - see assorted social and demographics studies and census data.

Finger crossed for a secular world by 2099.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Hmm.. Christianity pre-dates the medieval period... In reality people are right now actively embracing a medieval religion that is infinitely less tolerant than Christianity.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Who mentioned Christianity??

Medieval period normally from around 476AD in the wake of the collapse of the Roman Empire and lasted approx 1.000 years.

Overlap that with the Great Schism which an output is the Catholic Church as we know it…. And it’s later split at reformation in 1500’s…

Plus Mohammed/Islam in 600’s AD and split along Sunni/shia lines.

So yes …Medieval Religions. Self-evidently.

Pervasive. Malevolent and self-serving.

Jesus/God and Allah would be absolutely appalled what became - in their name - if they were actual deities.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Even Cthulhu is a bit miffed

2. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

Only in america, can Nintendo take down an emulator because it "might" cause piracy and guns which kill tens of thousands are still for sale.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Of those tens of thousands killed the vast majority (>95%) are killed with illegally owned handguns. Not legally owned 'assault weapons' as the lawmakers would like you to believe.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge
        Facepalm

Assuming that the numbers you provide are accurate, strangely, developed countries with lower gun ownership also tend to have lower illegal gun ownership as well.

Not sure how that could be possible, but the maths checks out.

According to the Small Arms Survey of 2017, the USA accounted for just under half of all Civilian held firearms in the world (393M out of 857M). According to that same survey, if you put the (US) civillian held firearms in one pile and every single Military or Law Enforcement held firearm in another pile, the US civilian firearm pile would be well over 2x the quantity of the other (393M vs 156M).

Call me a filthy liberal, I don't care. You see how that's insane, right?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> the US civilian firearm pile would be well over 2x the quantity of the other (393M vs 156M)

Yup, sounds abouts right. That'll stop them gubmint plannin' on tekkin' our guns. Ya gotta keep Manhattan safe 'n' free from them perksy natives. Yee - Ar Say, Yee - Haww!

1. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

The only problem is those same gun owners are never to be seen when theres a gun massacre. THey all run and hide and let the police take care of things, and please dont tell me how some gun hero stopped one masscare, because that still leaves 50k where gun heroes hid.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As gun nuts frequently quote when pushed on evidential gun violence deaths half of them are from suicide enabled.by guns in the house … so I think your >95% illegal is horseshit.

3. Casca Silver badge

Oh yea, wonder where they are coming from...

Stupid argument

1. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

Stupid argument.... because or is too difficult to write a few words and form a sentence ?

4. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

Illegal or not, how is it that Nintendo can sue the emulator makes for piracy committed by others, and yet gun manuf cannot be sued for shootings committed by others ?

3. martinadam0122
    Unhappy

What about the data of our reproductive that gov. takes from us and then published it..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like