back to article Miracle-WM tiling window manager for Mir hits 0.2.0

Mir-based tiling window manager Miracle-WM version 0.2.0 is here, building on the basis of the initial release. Will Mir bring peace and harmony and convergence after all? Even if developer Matthew Kosarek's own roadmap says that he only expects it to start settling down with the next version, which he hopes to release at the …

1. Rich 2 Silver badge

I3

I’ve used i3 for ages and my advice to anyone who hasn’t used a tiling WM before is to give it a go.

All the faff with moving windows out of the way, or with them popping up over the top of what you’re working on, or just getting them arranged so you can work efficiently (which you never can because the mouse is still needed 99% of the time) simply evaporates. It’s bliss :-)

As for “…driving Windows – especially one of the older, faster versions…” - I think that says all anyone needs to know about the state of the software industry

2. captain veg Silver badge

the point

Until recently I didn't really get the point of Wayland. Sure, I understood that X is a network protocol that introduces overhead on machines that are both the X server and running the X clients, but it didn't seem to matter much, practically.

Then, wanting to run certain Android apps I attempted to install Waydroid. Which depends on Wayland.

I still don't much get the point of Wayland, and now I don't much get why I need it to run Android apps on Linux. Still, having the option on Linux Mint is / will be* nice.

-A.

* It exists "experimentally" in Virginia, but only (in my experience) if you are happy with a US QWERTY keyboard layout.

3. steelpillow Silver badge
    Linux

Secure remote admin, anybody?

Back in October 2001 I was explaining X.11 to RISC OS geeks.

10 years later I learned that it is not suited to administering highly secure systems because it is inherently insecure for a service (unusually, on the sysadmin's desktop) to initiate a connection to a service (unusually, in the secure cell).

Getting a secure server to deliver a Wayland experience to a sysadmin client does not seem to be going much better.

Today see a lot of Linux services with Windows-native admin GUIs that appear to talk to Mummy over ssh or https or whatever - no standalone device mode.

What is needed is a server which, when asked, gathers up the WIMP stuff and squirts it down a pipe, and a client which connects (e.g. remotely) to the server and asks to have the stuff squirted at it for the duration. Where the cut should come in the display/window/compositing/rendering/kitchen-sink chain I would not know, I am not really in that world any more.

Is anything, say Waypipe, anywhere near that yet?

1. MacroRodent

Re: Secure remote admin, anybody?

> What is needed is a server which, when asked, gathers up the WIMP stuff and squirts it down a pipe

That is essentially what VNC does, and with surprisingly good performance, if you use a modern VNC client-sever pair like TigerVNC. You can get servers and clients for various OS'es.

4. unimaginative
    Megaphone

To be clear about tiling and living in the terminal

such environments are the modern weapon of choice for a lot of Linux folks who mainly live in the terminal

Keyboard driven tiling window mangers may appeal to people who live in the terminal.

Tiling window managers in general appeal because large monitors are now common. It makes sense to split them up and have multiple windows showing at once to reduce switching windows. Much the same as how many people use multiple monitors.

With large wide monitors everything showing text does not need the width: terminals, web browsers, word processors text editors. The only things I use for which the full width of my monitor is useful are email clients (folder list + message list + message stacked horizontally) and big spreadsheets.

1. Yankee Doodle Doofus Bronze badge

Re: To be clear about tiling and living in the terminal

Yeah, I prefer a full desktop environment, but with an automatic tiling extension enabled. I still use the mouse at least as often as I use keyboard shortcuts, but making more efficient use of the real estate on my dual large monitor setups without having to manually adjust window sizes and positions every time I open or close an application makes me much more productive.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks Liam!

Thanks for the clear explanation of what Wayland actually is and where it fits in. I do have one question: There was a lot of fuss about Wayland not working with Nvidia cards in the past. Is this fixed, or should I avoid upgrading Mint in future?

1. Yankee Doodle Doofus Bronze badge

Re: Thanks Liam!

There are still some issues with Wayland and Nvidia, but things have gotten much better over the years with Nvidia's proprietary drivers, and there is a lot of work going into making better open-source drivers. I'm using Wayland with an older (1060) Nvidia card and the official proprietary drivers right now without issue. It will depend on your use-case, but there is a good chance it already works well enough for you. If you have the most current LTS of Mint installed and up-to-date, you can try out the Cinamon Wayland experience right now, by choosing the experimental Wayland session at the log-in screen. It's not as well flushed-out as the Wayland sessions of GNOME or KDE, but it is coming along nicely.

2. Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

[Author here]

> Is this fixed?

Yes and no. I am not a gamer and I have no recent nVidia cards to test on. I have 2 PCs with nVidia GPUs, but they both need the old version 390 "legacy" drivers. This does not work on kernel 6.5 or above.

So, those GPUs are not usable with Ubuntu 23.10 or later, or Fedora 39 or later, or Debian 12 or later. I have tried forcing Wayland active on them on older kernels and it's very unstable and not usable.

But, if your hardware works with the _current_ nVidia drivers, I am told it's now stable and usable.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

[Original AC again]

Thanks for the information! I'm also using a 1060 card with the 535 driver, so this might all work. And if I can test it with current Mint, so much the better.

6. MacroRodent

MIR?

The article left it a bit unclear what is the relationship between Mir and Wayland. Is Mir running on top of Wayland? Or is is a separate implementation?

1. alan_g

Re: MIR?

Wayland is a protocol, the successor to X11.

Mir is a library that implements the server side of the Wayland protocol. It also provides a lot of other server functionality: window management, compositing, rendering, input...

Miracle-WM is implemented on top of Mir.

2. Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: MIR?

[Author here]

I defer to alan_g's explanation above. It's concise and accurate. But then he should know -- he wrote Mir. :-)

7. 3arn0wl

Another thankyou

Publically from me! For this, and your February piece. Both very informative. Thank you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like