back to article US Equal Employment agency says Workday AI hiring bias case should continue

The US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) says a claim against Workday should be allowed to continue, arguing the HR and finance software vendor may qualify as an employment agency because of the way its AI tool screens applicants. Whether or not Workday is considered a job agency is crucial when it comes to the …

1. usbac Silver badge

Workday is a blight on humanity!

These days if I see a job announcement that goes through Workday, I don't even bother to apply.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How is AI to deal with outliers that a person will easily see

I have 40 years of IT expertise, from SysAdmin, to assembler coding, to firmware, to electronics, to communications, to OS development, so I have a very widespread knowledge. However, I know that I will not get past one of these CV scanning applications as I don't have a degree.

Some PFY who has scraped a Degree pass will always be ahead of my experience.

If it wasn't that I got my last job by word of mouth, I may have completed a very costly OU degree course (I had passed 2 modules with very high marks) that was honestly quite demeaning in its simplicity for someone with my experience.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: How is AI to deal with outliers that a person will easily see

I broke down a few years ago and completed an online degree for this very reason.

I have a very similar set of qualifications (only about 30 years, though). I was in a Sysadmin role, and was having trouble getting out. Even tough I mostly ran the IT department, my title was never changed, and without a degree, I wasn't able to find anything decent.

Getting the degree changed everything. The next job was about a 40% pay increase. The first year paid back the cost of the degree. It was a proceed at your own pace kind of program, so if one had a great deal of IT experience, one could move quickly through the program. My record was 1 1/2 days to complete a course. Most took a couple of weeks, however. All in all, I completed the program in about 16 months. It seemed like a lot of BS to go through, but the piece of paper was worth it in the end.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I only have to use it incidentally at work, but I can certainly agree that it has a UI of astounding terribleness. Navigation is maddening, and — as with many web-based applications — it seems the development team spent some time figuring out a simple, elegant way to implement each function, and then far more time doing the exact opposite.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like