back to article French issue alerte rouge after local governments knocked offline by cyber attack

Several French municipal governments' services have been knocked offline following a "large-scale cyber attack" on their shared servers. The attack remains ongoing according to the city of Saint-Nazaire, one of the affected governments. "The services of the two communities cannot operate normally," the city told residents in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and ATOS to protect against this

"The timing of these cyber attacks is worrisome for French officials, as the country gears up for the summer Olympics – and anticipates a deluge of hacking attempts around the Paris Games."

Yes, there's that, plus, every counter cyber attack staff is on ATOS group payroll, which demonstrates, every day, that drunken lemurs are heading the company.

Interesting read for the french reading desk of El Reg: http://atos.bourse.blog.

Hint: this blog has top notch insider information, and even predicted at less than 1% precision, the amount of depreciation the company would publish in its late accounts statement for 2023. It has WAY better intel than any mainstream french press. Just saying as, as an (still) ATOS insider, I can appreciate the quality of those.

Anon, you know why :)

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

Names, dates of birth, social security numbers, France Travail identifiers, email addresses, postal addresses, and phone numbers were compromised, according to the department.

Social security numbers are not valuable in France. They can even be retrieved from public information and it's illegal to use it as an identifier. Addresses are another matter, it will feed spammers databases.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Illegal to use as an identifier? How do you connect to Ameli then?

3. HuBo
    Headmaster

French fried networks

I totally missed this in the French Press (can't remember seeing it on the National TV News and 24/7 BFM or FranceInfo).

Saint-Nazaire (West of Nantes) hosts France's major shipyard Chantiers de l'Atlantique, where not only the world's largest cruise ships were built (Wonder of the Seas, Harmony of the Seas), but also the Mistral class amphibious assault helicopter carrier that was eventually denied to Russia (formerly Sevastopol, eventually sold to Egypt as ENS Anwar El Sadat), as well as those submarines that Australia ordered before reversing itself and "buying American", iirc. One may say that Saint-Nazaire is to French naval works as Toulouse is to Airbus.

It'll be key (IMHO) for France and the EU to get to the bottom of what happened here (even beyond Olympics-oriented worries)!

1. sw guy

Re: French fried networks

Submarine building at Saint Nazaire, really ? I would have assumed Cherbourg instead.

And BTW, there is an Airbus factory at Saint Nazaire, too, much smaller that what exists at Toulouse, I reckon.

1. HuBo
        Thumb Up

Re: French fried networks

You're right: Cherbourg for subs (and "parapluies")!

4. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Joke

An alerte rouge solution?

I have been running systems in Baton Rouge for years now and never seen any french cyber attacks, mostly North Korean malware etc, I guess the French cyber criminals are scared of getting beaten with a large baton rouge if they are caught?

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge

Re: An alerte rouge solution?

No, they don't get further than Nouvelle-Orléans and the Café du Monde

5. Kimo

That required them to change le ampoule électrique.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like