back to article Microsoft warns that China is using AI to stir the pot ahead of US election

With the US presidential election looming, China is stepping up its disinformation game with increased use of AI, Microsoft's Threat Analysis Center (MTAC) reports. MTAC issued a report today that found Chinese state-linked individuals have upped the amount of AI being used to create misinformation and have also started to …

1. vtcodger Silver badge

Why?

I can easily imagine the Chinese State Security Ministry (IPA) planting stuff to support Tik-Toc and other Chinese owned businesses. And trying to undercut support for Taiwan as well as furthering other Chinese diplomatic/commercial goals. But interfere with the 2024 election? Why would they do that? They can't possibly want either party in the US two party race to win. Neither party is remotely pro-Chinese, And it's not really possible for both parties to lose.

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Re: Why?

Trump took lots of money from China during his term. He did a deal to get Ivanka some nice patents from China (I don't know why consider China never honours any patents). He barks on camera about China because he knows its what his idiots followers want and will believe, but in the background he was taking China's money. Winnie the Pooh knows he can control the big orange idiot, which is why he'd want him in power. The other idea is to create chaos unmongsts the populous of the USA, in the hope it causes America to destory itself, so that Winie The Pooh can take the land.

1. vtcodger Silver badge

You seem to think that The Donald is, in the words of Simon Cameron (1799-1899) an honest politician meaning one who will, once purchased, stay bought. Not the way I'd bet. But what the hell do I know? I do doubt that the Chinese are wild about the prospect of a dude with only the most tenuous ties with reality running the US.

BTW, There is apparently little doubt that China tries to influence Taiwan politics where they surely have strong preferences (presumably for the Kuomingtan and the Unionists). I looked around for evidence that the mainlanders were using AI, etc to try to influence the 2024 Taiwan presidential election in January. I found more than I wanted to know about Taiwanese politics, but no claims that China was exerting more than its usual pressures. Could mean they weren't. Or it could mean that whatever they were doing they're pretty good at it.

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

" I do doubt that the Chinese are wild about the prospect of a dude with only the most tenuous ties with reality running the US." Ideal. they get to slowly expand soft power whilst 'Murica hemorrhages and suffers from massive hemorrhoids

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Trump took lots of money from China

I do not know about that. But it is plausible that he is regularly getting black-mail material from Russian intelligence on other republicans, otherwise it is almost unbelievable how he could seemingly control many of them.

Most of western IT systems have been compromised multiple times already. So the adversary knows everything about anyone of interest. This would also explain why TikTok ban has been voted unanimously. Because CIA has probably shown the members what is available on everyone of them.

Re: > Trump took lots of money from China

"black-mail material from Russian intelligence on other republicans, otherwise it is almost unbelievable how he could seemingly control many of them."

Most of them are Christofascist Putin lovers.

3. gandalfcn Silver badge

"(I don't know why consider China never honours any patents)" It does.

4. gandalfcn Silver badge

"create chaos unmongsts the populous of the USA, in the hope it causes America to destory itself," The MAGAts and Christofascists don't need any help.

"so that Winie The Pooh can take the land." Yes dear, now please take your meds.

2. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Mushroom

It's not that they are supporting one or other party. My theory is that they would want all western votes to have a 50/50 outcome. Maximum division, hung parliaments that can't make a decision, potential for civil war.

So they stir up vitriol as much as they can, track voting intentions, and tweak the signals very carefully for the perfect non-result, with as many frothing maniacs on both sides as possible.

Simple divide and conquer. Democracy is doomed in a world controlled by TikTok.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Simple divide and conquer. Democracy is doomed in a world controlled by TikTok."

Social media in all its forms is far more effective than the old school media,

TikTok is just one facet of it but seems to be bearing the brunt of the blame purely because it's controlled by China and not 'domestic' agents of influence.

"it's controlled by China and not 'domestic' agents of influence."

Exactly. Most deny that happens. Wazzocks.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"But interfere with the 2024 election? Why would they do that? They can't possibly want either party in the US two party race to win. Neither party is remotely pro-Chinese, And it's not really possible for both parties to lose."

Oh sweet summer child, stoking up division, hatred, chaos, anything that can hit the headlines and make people cream and shout about their government's failing gives an edge.

Think about it, is there *really* a migrant crisis at the southern border or is it actually a fabricated and overblown dog whistle designed to unite the hard done by, hard of thinking to voting for your particular brand of hatred and thus keep you in power/making money/out of jail?

Now imagine that was a campaign by a hostile nation state's intelligence services on social media, they've successfully weakened your government's ability to govern because they now have to deal with a "crisis" that wasn't a crisis before they blew it out of all proportion, directing funds and resource away from things that would make real, tangible difference to your daily well being.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

"Think about it, is there *really* a migrant crisis at the southern border or is it actually a fabricated and overblown dog whistle designed to unite the hard done by, hard of thinking to voting for your particular brand of hatred and thus keep you in power/making money/out of jail?"

So, how is that stoking-up-divisions job working out for you?

2. gandalfcn Silver badge

"Oh sweet summer child, stoking up division, hatred, chaos, anything that can hit the headlines and make people cream and shout about their government's failing gives an edge

The MAGAts and Christofascists don't need any help.

3. steviebuk Silver badge

And regarding the "boarder" they created a bipartisan deal, that was written by Republicans and the strikest ever yet the Orange idiot told his equal idiot followers and congress bods to block it so he could campaign on it, so they did. Again, his followers are such idiots they ignore the fact a deal to "fix the boarder" was about to go ahead, until their Orange friend ruined it. They'll now loose out because he'll be going to prison and the Republicans will be decimated in November.

4. gandalfcn Silver badge

Especially the way M$ imagine. The info is already there so no need to ask. AI? ROFL Just M$ scaremongering.

Beijing would prefer Trump. Easy to control because of his narcissistic vanity and ego. Just compliment him and he's yours. And he worships dictators.

Sleepy Joe on the other hand is a seasoned political animal. Can't have that.

5. Binraider Silver badge

They see disunity as a weakness. Do you imagine they are backing just one horse, or more likely, stirring shit on both sides?

The US tearing itself apart is a win for authoritarianism; and, nowhere more obviously than in Ukraine. As with most things, consider the source to understand the message.

China fears nothing more than such shenanigans in its own back yard that threaten the CCP. See Tiananmen Square.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

They see disunity as a weakness. Do you imagine they are backing just one horse, or more likely, stirring shit on both sides?

Yep. Biden gets elected on a promise to heal the political divide, then promptly starts throwing political dissidents in jail and ranting about 'extreme MAGA Republicans', as if making America great again is the biggest threat to democracy since Pearl Harbor. Or something like that. US politics has gotten very strange.

The US tearing itself apart is a win for authoritarianism; and, nowhere more obviously than in Ukraine. As with most things, consider the source to understand the message.

Might help if you cite your sources, or what you think is the message. But creating threats, division and disunity has always been a way for governments to become more authoritarian. Ukraine's an example of an extremely authoritarian regime, installed by a coup and currently yeeting drones at nuclear power plants. Yet we'll support them, whatever it takes. Putin's suffering from multiple fatal diseases, Russia's out of ammo and resorting to using shovels and washing machines. Yet if we don't give Ukraine another $100bn, we'll be next. Meanwhile, Scotland's entertaining the world with it's new hate crimes laws which can get people locked up for 7yrs for expressing the wrong opinions. The rest of the UK and EU are not far behind in legislation like that.

China fears nothing more than such shenanigans in its own back yard that threaten the CCP. See Tiananmen Square.

Or 'spontaneous' pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong, complete with nicely printed English banners and fresh EU flags. Or politics in Taiwan to make sure a pro-China government doesn't end up in power, and the two Chinas reunifying. We've been doing those shenanigans in China's back yard for decades already.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

More propaganda to start the week

> Yep. Biden gets elected on a promise to heal the political divide, then promptly starts throwing political dissidents in jail

You misspelled "Putin"

> Ukraine's an example of an extremely authoritarian regime,

You misspelled Russia. Here we go again. More vatnik Russian propaganda.

> Or 'spontaneous' pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong, complete with nicely printed English banners and fresh EU flags. Or politics in Taiwan to make sure a pro-China government doesn't end up in power, and the two Chinas reunifying.

And now spreading pro-CCP talking points. From a guy who almost certainly has never lived in HK, China or Taiwan.

1. Casca Silver badge

Re: More propaganda to start the week

He really likes his dictatorships which he doesnt live in doesnt he?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Mama eel: Jelly, dear, what have you been doing all weekend long, locked up in your room?

Little Jelly: Nothing, special Mom. Revising for the exams in May.

Mama eel: Yeah... and watching Russia Today... I'm sure

Little Jelly: Oh No Mom, I swear...

Mama eel: Ok. No worries. And what do you need these 60$ for?

Little Jelly: I think we need a new Bible, mom.

Mama eel: A new Bible? Since when do you read the Bible?

Little Jelly: I will now.

6. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Neither party is remotely pro-Chinese

Trump adores authoritarian rulers including Xi Jinping. He's not blatantly pro-china like he is pro-Russia but he'd certainly be an incredibly useful idiot if he was in charge of American foreign policy.

7. egrep

Trump is broke and will accept money to enrich himself even if it harms national security.

Trump is broke and will accept money to enrich himself even if it harms national security

I think you have the wrong guy. Trump may have just made himself a couple of billion spinning his media company into a SPAC. No doubt the NYC DA will go after him for other people over valuing those transactions and attempt to tack him more billions.

Meanwhile, the Biden family made millions from Urkraine, China, and even did real-estate deals with Russians. Oh, and of course kept a load of classified docs in his garage where Biden jnr and his hookers and dealers would have had easy access.. For the Chinese, he had a shared office for shared documentation.

1. Casca Silver badge

LMAO, sources that is trustworthy? No, then fuck off.

LMAO, sources that is trustworthy? No, then fuck off.

Source selected purely for ironic value-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68716628

The share price of Donald Trump's media company has fallen from last week's high when it officially listed on the Nasdaq stock exchange.

But it is still worth more than $7bn (£5.6bn) at current prices - an astonishing sum given the business behind it.

But the Bbc ain't that smart and is similarly grossly over valued. Then again, this story is kinda interesting given it's maybe a way for Trump supporters to shunt money in his general direction without being too obvious about it. But that deal, plus the appeals court reducing Trump's bond means NYC can't steal Trump's assets. Yet. Meanwhile, in other news, another billionaire convicted of insider trading only gets fined $5m. No idea if Joe Lewis is a Democrat donor or not though.

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

Yeah its crazy the amount of money they are claiming truth social is worth. It only made $4m in profit last year yet is valued at over $6bn with around 250K active monthly users in the US (which let be honest is the only country anyone is really going to use it).

Even if he wins the election its hardly going to bring in vast numbers of new followers to Truth, as in its current form it really only appeals to the MAGA crowd who surely most of them are already signed up. And if he looses then even the MAGA crowd might get bored waiting another 4 years for his to have a 3rd go.

Even if he wins the election its hardly going to bring in vast numbers of new followers to Truth, as in its current form it really only appeals to the MAGA crowd who surely most of them are already signed up.

I think it's best not to worry to much about some tech stocks and their valuations. An AI probably did it, so it's all good. But you're not thinking Presidentially. So there's TikTok. Currently the Dems have decided that's a threat to Democratcy, so have decided they should use it to influence Americans, not China. So Trump, being the ultimate evil could do much the same and make his Truth the only truth, and ban all other 'social media'. Then merge it with X, sit back, and watch the Dem's heads explode.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Why Trump (and Jelled Eel) changed their mind regarding TikTok

> So there's TikTok. Currently the Dems have decided that's a threat to Democratcy.

So, it was only 4 years ago, but you've already forgotten that the first threat of ban on TiKTok was coming from your master the Orange Lunatic. At the time, uncle Larry was supposed to take over (coincidence: a big fundraiser for Donald Trump's campaign).

But things have changed, Jeffrey Yass, (holding 15% of ByteDance) is also a big donor to Trump's campaign. So, Donald and his minions are now up in arms against the ban they were rabidly supporting 4 years ago and blasting "the Dems" for such a "ludicrous" idea.

Re: Why Trump (and Jelled Eel) changed their mind regarding TikTok

So, it was only 4 years ago, but you've already forgotten

Not me guv. There's quite a few Trump initiatives either copied or continued by the Dems and claimed as their own. At least Trump didn't propose simply stealing TikTok and forcing it into new US ownership.

2. steviebuk Silver badge

You do realise Trump also tried to ban TikTok but now because "the Dems" decided to act (and its not a ban) Trump is now against a ban.

2. steviebuk Silver badge

Jesus. You'll be one of those MAGA supporters who piss their life savings away on Trumps SPAC. Go ahead and do it, buy up his stock and watch it all disappear when he dumps his large stake in 6 months, tanking the company, tanking the stock and making all his followers a lot, lot poorer.

2. martinusher Silver badge

Unlikely, because....

....the kind of disinformation that spews from our politicians and pundits is already so detached from reality that "you couldn't make this stuff up".

The rot really started being noticeable during the Dubya ("Bush 2") Administration with that famous press conference where one of the senior Administration officials -- Rumsfeld or Cheney, I can't recall which, came out with the "We make our own reality" line. The context was the war in Afghainistan and/or Iraq and the sense being conveyed being that the US is so big and powerful that we're able to dictate what reality is. Quite apart from this showing appalling hubris it also doesn't make sense logically.

There are people out there who do seem to have a handle on what's going on who are not born and bred conspiracy theorists** but they tend to be very much in the background. I suppose like any giant corporation you don't get on in the organization by being contrarian (especially if you are proved right).

(**However, "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me")

Anyway, as a US voter I'm not aware of being swayed by any Chinese, Russian or Martian propaganda. I do try to avoid wading through the swamp of BS that's served up by our "leaders".

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Unlikely, because....

Bush? It went back to Reagan, and really started with Nixon. Hoover & Coolidge were just clueless, Johnson didn't give enough of a shit to lie and he had plenty to bitch about. "It's unfortunate, but the way the American people are, now that they have developed all this capability, instead of taking advantage of it, they'll probably just piss it all away." - Lyndon Johnson, on the Apollo program

> as a US voter I'm not aware of being swayed

Eh, I remember idiots convinced they'd voted through Twitter for Hillary. And that's not a joke or hyperbole. That's people I thought were smart enough to know better.

There's lots of ways to keep someone's vote from counting. I'm assuming China, Russia, and everyone else are trying them all. I'm not going to faff about with mail-in shit. I'm going to walk into the local library, put my marks on the voting sheet and watch them stick it in the counter. That's the best I can do.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>> BS that's served up by our "leaders"

I assume you are a real Westerner, not a member of foreign troll farm. But your self-blame and nonconstructive political stance is so similar to internet bot behavior. Or is it just the general trend in TheRegister comments, or worse, the Western Society: wining, and nothing of substance, unfortunately.

Do you actively participate in politics. Do you vote? Would you be OK to reveal your political preferences? What should be actually done?

This applies to everyone else wining in such threads. Guys, what should be actually done?

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: >> BS that's served up by our "leaders"

Yes, I always vote. At the national level it may come down to the lesser of evils. At the state and local level it makes a difference.

I have also been an election worker since becoming a citizen. The system's now changed, being mostly vote by mail, but before that I used to be the Precinct Inspector, the person responsible for the operation of the polling place. You can't even begin to have a democracy unless people participate and all this "I never vote" BS is designed to suppress key demographics.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Unlikely, because it’s not true and all made up is not something to bet on nowadays :-)

Beware the "We make our own reality" line whenever espoused and creative of SMARTR Immortal enemies rather than lifelong friends.

And here be a tale to be mindful of if able and intent on playing that Great game ......

amanfromMars [2404061539] ..... shares on https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/german-intel-chief-defends-his-efforts-police-thought-and-speech-patterns-citizens

German Intel Chief Defends His Efforts To Police The "Thought And Speech Patterns" Of Citizens ...because "digitalisation and virtualisation" are helping bad people "spread their ideologies"...

Who else recognises such as old style fascism being exercised in the guise of postmodern elite antisemitism/politically incorrect anti-Socialism and corrupt subversive prescriptive activism?

Sieg Heil, Mein Herr Thomas Haldenwang? Strewth .... has the past not taught you any valuable lessons about proposals for activities best to be avoided because of the very certain self-destructive cost?

He's not wrong though about the almighty power of digitalisation and virtualisation so easily readily available to that and those able to command and control it with impunity and immunity from consequences.

’Tis indeed, whether you like it or not, a brave new universe with brand new worlds for colonising out there and old status quo systems will not survive and prosper in that guaranteed future and will suffer greatly if they disagree and think to fight against it.

It is progress, pure and simple and super natural ... but most certainly probably not as you may have been expecting it to be with unknown A.N.Others forging new paths and leading the way forward into novel areas of existence and different spaces in ever expanding time. 

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Unlikely, because....

Anyway, as a US voter I'm not aware of being swayed by any Chinese, Russian or Martian propaganda. I do try to avoid wading through the swamp of BS that's served up by our "leaders”. ...... martinusher [nowadays a Californian/long suffering US taxpayer/retired.]

The unfortunate truth that more than just a chosen few are almightily aware of, martinusher, is the US vote[r] sways nothing, for it is fatally compromised and discounted with its democracy and dividends subverted and cuckolded to server hostile autocratic sources and attendant ignorant forces always fated to be destined to fail spectacularly in catastrophic attempts to defend and expand and exploit the indefensible and impossible in the forlorn hope that, however improbable, future magical success and survival will prevail and maintain their imagined retention of a selective collective supremacy in power and energy for the singular Great Game purpose delivering and enjoying the practising of the virtual realisation of nightmares and dreams/deep minded dark thoughts and the most exotic and erotic of attractive addictive visions.

Is such not yet crystal clear for all to see? Who and/or what would be trying to hide the truth from and prolonging the agony for everybody suffering ‽ .

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trump took lots of money from China during his term?

steviebuk: “Trump took lots of money from China during his term.”

Get your story straight, I thought it was the Russians ..

US Government controls all social media platforms, suppresses information, claims Elon Musk

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> US Government controls all social media platforms

It is you, who should get your story straight. The link is to FirstPost known for posting fake news. Fact check by Deutche Welle: https://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-no-sweden-is-not-holding-a-sex-championship/a-65841986

>> [FirstPost] explained how knowledge of the Kamasutra, an ancient Sanskrit scripture on eroticism and sex, would aid participants in the event, only to reveal in the last paragraph that the championship was fake news.

4. JavaJester

Won't be hard

Given that people recently believed that Target and other stores sold satanic merchandise based on some AI generated images, they won't have to work very hard to fool a good portion of the population.

1. vtcodger Silver badge

Re: Won't be hard

Hmmm. We were wondering why the pentagram we bought at Target had seven points. And why the demons we summoned using it were so damn dumb. Apparently we're only getting the ones that can't count.

1. LionelB Silver badge

Re: Won't be hard

Aye, the Devil's in the detail.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Threat?

The great orange one is the biggest, clearest threat to US democracy by far.

China and any other interlopers are waaaaay down the list.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Threat?

In a recently leaked chinese white paper, it was revealed that China is sponsoring democracy in the US, and has been doing so for decades.

"We know that democracy would destroy China, that is why we invest heavily in supporting it in the US, while putting up a token smokescreen of anti democratic official rhetoric so they won't realise.

When we started some counter-revolutionary factions questioned the wisdom of this this, but it is now clear how successfully the US people have been in eviscerating their own civil society for us, with not a single Chinese shot fired"

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

In a recently leaked chinese white paper, ... ..... Anonymous Coward

Hyperlink to the paper, please, or it doesn’t exist.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Always the dull literalist, aren't we? Why don't you loosen your collar and let down your hair for a change?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Always the dull literalist, aren't we? - You've not read many amanfrommars1 comments......

Why don't you loosen your collar and let down your hair for a change? - By accepting that a white paper needs only be mentioned to win an argument.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Wrong! I log on everyday just to read "amanfrommars1" comments. That's why I assumed /s wouldn't be necessary, and knew amanfrommars1 would take it as friendly ribbing from a fan.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> The great orange one is the biggest, clearest threat to US democracy by far

Unlike those mad bastards in the shadow government, the Orange One isn't desperate to start WW3.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Got the bible and the golden sneakers?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Enough with the neocon cyberBS ..

Enough with the neocon cyberBS ..

7. Ideasource Bronze badge

Game of Thrones- the home game.

As the title says

Game of thrones the home game.

That's what I call politics.

Seems fitting. Even when you think you're winning, then that just means things have gotten even more dangerous for your precarious position.

Meanwhile there's lots of people discreetly living their lives while other people aren't watching to complain, enjoying much more peace and perceptions of happiness in life despite their varying physical circumstances and hardships.

But I suppose to the chronically unsatisfiable, it's provides an endless source of distracting drama to keep them from sulking into unending depression. Or so I imagine is the appeal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Game of Thrones- the home game.

Pointless comment :o

8. mcanada

I can't imagine anything more damaging than what our own government has spewed these last few years; 1) climate change is an existential threat, 2) COVID is a pandemic, 3) mRNA vaccines are safe and effective, 4) democracy is on the ballot, 5) free speech is DANGEROUS, 6) mail-in voting is immune to fraud, 7) illegal immigrants built this country, 8) the federal government solves your every problem, 9) Jan 6 was an INSURRECTION. A constant barrage of nonsense.

1. Casca Silver badge

Wow, good little MAGA moron...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Darwin to the rescue

Remember to cure your covid with a big spoonful of ivermectin and wash it up with a lib glass of bleach.

Re: Darwin to the rescue

Remember to cure your covid with a big spoonful of ivermectin and wash it up with a lib glass of bleach.

Meanwhile, in other news.. The FDA's been told to take down it's 'you are not a horse' and correct a bunch of it's ivermectin misinformation. So at the time that meme was promoted, nobody really knew if it was effective, or not. But it's very widely prescribed to millions of humans as an anti-parasitic. It's also very cheap compared to alternatives, like the Balm of Gilead. But since then, there have been a bunch of studies that suggest it might have some benefits. Why? Still no idea, but trials are the correct way to establish that kind of thing.

Meanwhile, in other news-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68762171

And those with long Covid showed evidence of a continuing and active pattern of inflammatory proteins in their blood.

And carefully avoids mentioning spike proteins. Again, one of those interesting bits of research trying to figure out if the cure may have been worse than the disease. So studies to look at incidence and severity of 'long Covid' in vaccinated vs unvaccinated cohorts.. And also which vaccine, ie mRNA or more traditional. For the more paranoid, place bets whether 'bird flu' is going to be the next panicdemic, just in time for November..

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Is that you? male patients >60 years old ... and developed neurologic symptoms.

> Meanwhile, in other news.. The FDA's been told to take down it's[sic] 'you are not a horse' and correct a bunch of it's[sic] ivermectin misinformation.

US poison control centers reported increased cases of ivermectin toxicity during the COVID-19 pandemic.

We identified 37 cases of ivermectin toxicity. The median age of patients was 64 years, and most patients were male. The majority of patients were hospitalized (21) or treated in an emergency department (13). A minority were treated in an outpatient setting (3) and one patient died. Seventeen ingested veterinary formulations and fifteen ingested prescription tablets. Patients reported taking ivermectin for treatment (23) and prevention (14) of COVID-19. Clinical effects included neurotoxicity (30), gastrointestinal symptoms (14), and musculoskeletal complaints (7). Patients taking veterinary products took higher doses of ivermectin and had higher rates of altered mental status than those taking prescription tablets.

Conclusion: Ivermectin toxicity developed in predominantly male patients >60 years old who ingested higher than recommended doses and developed neurologic symptoms. Patients who took a veterinary formulation of ivermectin ingested large single doses or large daily doses for several days and developed rapid onset of neurotoxicity. Patients with chronic toxicity developed milder symptoms and tended to take typical therapeutic doses, but continued therapy for weeks rather than days.

Src: Oregon Poison Center

Re: Is that you? male patients >60 years old ... and developed neurologic symptoms.

Conclusion: Ivermectin toxicity developed in predominantly male patients >60 years old who ingested higher than recommended doses and developed neurologic symptoms. Patients who took a veterinary formulation of ivermectin ingested large single doses or large daily doses for several days and developed rapid onset of neurotoxicity.

And? People who self-medicate with vetinary stuff or other chemicals tend to have a bad day. See ketamine, carfentanyl and many more. It still doesn't answer the question of whether it has any effect or not, or why the FDA was so determined to prevent doctors prescribing it off-lable, as is their right.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@JE

And carefully avoids mentioning spike proteins. Again, one of those interesting bits of research trying to figure out if the cure may have been worse than the disease. So studies to look at incidence and severity of 'long Covid' in vaccinated vs unvaccinated cohorts.. And also which vaccine, ie mRNA or more traditional. For the more paranoid, place bets whether 'bird flu' is going to be the next panicdemic, just in time for November.

You don't understand anything to these matters. Leave it to people who have spent 10 years studying it at uni and then a few decades practicing it in the ward - yet still struggle to understand the whole picture.

You're conspicuously looking for confirmation of your desired conclusion that [mRNA] vaccines are harmful.

For SARS-CoV-2, there's no simple answer at the single individual level because evidence suggests that various viral proteins effected various signalling cascades in many different cell types - even simple spike proteins or selected domains of spike proteins. Therefore even mRNA vaccines were not magical silver bullets. But they were much better than other vaccines involving the whole genetic material.

What is undeniable however, is that, at the global epidemiological level, mRNA vaccines got us out of the crisis at least one year before China, which did not have the mRNA vaccines technology. That's a fact.

You don't understand anything to these matters. Leave it to people who have spent 10 years studying it at uni and then a few decades practicing it in the ward - yet still struggle to understand the whole picture.

If they're practicing it in the ward, they're in the wrong place to be considered experts. We're lucky if they have the time to keep up with the journals, even if they're specialist consultants. The ones with a better idea lurk in the labs, trying to figure out wtf is happening? Which was especially true in the early stages of the panicdemic. Which is also why I've been following the ivermectin story. Some studies seems to show a benefit, others did not. But it was denied remarkably swiftly, especially in the normal timescales for medical trials and studies.

You're conspicuously looking for confirmation of your desired conclusion that [mRNA] vaccines are harmful.

Not at all. I'm fortunate enough to have a number of medical docs and researchers in my family. mRNA vaccines had been a research topic for years, along with concerns about the potential risks. Then the panicdemic hit, vaccines were rushed into production with limited trials, and billions of people dosed up. Now we're getting a better understanding of what those risks actually are, even though it may be too late for people who were enrolled without informed consent.

For SARS-CoV-2, there's no simple answer at the single individual level because evidence suggests that various viral proteins effected various signalling cascades in many different cell types - even simple spike proteins or selected domains of spike proteins.

And of course the effect of hijacking mitochondria to churn out spike proteins as a result of being vaccinated. Which is where individual responses play a part, along with the boosting schedule and our bodies response to those vaccines. So whether the vaccine itself trigged inflammatory responses more severe than would have been expected from covid itself. Plus of course the vaccine appeared to do very little to reduce transmission. Or perhaps more weirdly, encouraged transmission of those spike proteins.

But such is politics. I did some of my own research and decided although I was in an at-risk group, Covid didn't seem that severe, and an experimental mRNA vaccine too risky. So I'm happy being in a control group, even though health fascists did their best to demonise and panic people into getting jabbed. Post-panicdemic, a lot of research is still ongoing and exposing the impact of some batshit crazy decisions. On the plus side, Ursula von der Liar is also under investigation for the way she 'negotiated' billions of euros in wasted vaccines.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real question is:

Why are Chinese hate mail attack bots indistinguishable from the human political posters?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, Russian collusion did not take now it's China collusion? Do they really think people are THAT stupid?! Oh, wait... :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Russian collusion did not take

Trump collusion with Russia is well established. Even Eric Trump "Bragged About Access to $100 Million in Russian Money. And there are dozens of other proofs. But true, it did not "take" with the MAGA base of brainwashed zombies. They don't care... or even, they approve. At this level, this does not qualify for "stupidity" anymore.

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

So, Russian collusion did not take now it's China collusion? Do they really think people are THAT stupid?! Oh, wait... :)

Just look at the number of TDS sufferers that post here. But currently the meme is omnicollusion. So Russia is now colluding with China, Iran and DPRK. All of the Axes of Evil in one place! But that's just an example of how insane our politics has become. Janet Yellen is in China begging for investment and the Chinese to buy USD debt because she has a crapton to sell and not many buyers. At the same time, she warned China not to strengthen trade links with Russia, or they'll be punished most severely.

It's interesting how globalist necons think diplomacy works. China hasn't really started trade retaliations or counter sanctions, yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Janet Yellen is in China begging for investment and the Chinese to buy USD debt because she has a crapton to sell and not many buyers.

So much bullshit in just one sentence (and the whole post, but we're used to that).

It's clear you have zero understanding of the current Chinese economy crisis. Let me try to clarify this for you.

First of all, the US dollar is king - and for a long time. It's in high demand. As exchange rates show, it keeps rising against most currencies, especially the Chinese RMB. Not surprising: rates have still not come down a lot (unemployment is dangerously low). Yes that same economy Trumpards keep saying is bad is actually stellar - decoupling works quite well. China FDI is negative, every month billions of dollars are coming back home. Even Chinese firms and oligarchs stash their money in US banks and equities. Look at any FX chart USD vs RMB. That's real data. Not BS.

Second, China has an overcapacity problem. Its share of the global consumption is way below its share of the global production. Which means that the CCP sticks to its well established strategy of exploiting its workforce to dump prices and wage a commercial war. It's already been like this for decades, but now, post covid lock down, China experiences a high unemployment rate, a construction and real estate crisis, a financial institution crisis, a local government crisis and a population crash. So, China has two options: carry on dumping its overcapacity on the global market or finally become a mature economic player and develop its internal market.

The objective of Janet Yellen's week long business trip in China is to warn the political authorities that the USA (as well as the EU but she won't speak for the EU) won't accept a trade war and will impose tariffs on every good and services they will deem exaggeratedly under-priced. Starting with EVs and PVs.

So, absolutely ZERO objective to beg the Chinese to buy US treasuries (which China has already mostly dumped anyway - with zero effect). US bonds are selling quite well, thanks, because the economy is solid. Again, you're making things up with ZERO knowledge of the subject matter.

So, China has two options: carry on dumping its overcapacity on the global market or finally become a mature economic player and develop its internal market.

Or seek alternative trading partners and delevop those markets. Oh look. BRICS. But as usual, you miss a few important points. So 'dumping'. Sure, that happens. Cheap solar panels make investment in solar farms look practical. Apply tariffs, policies based on solar everywhere vanish into the darkness. Same with other genius policy ideas. Let's ban ICEs and make everyone drive modern-day milkfloats. Except our EV's are very expensive. Chinas might be somewhat more affordable, but we must protect our car industry, even though people can't afford to buy, maintain or pay the subscription fees for heated seats and other exciting features.

And that goes on, and on.. But was also the point behind MAGA. Try to bring a lot of that industry back home, except the US (and West in general) is crippled by high costs (especially energy) and red tape. And that isn't going to get fixed any time soon. And of course using sanctions or tariffs for protectionism will just result in inflation. But you've never understood that anyway. But a nice example I heard recently. Haas makes some nice CNC machines that can churn out lots of parts. The machine doesn't care where it's installed. If it's installed in the US, the overheads will be much higher, and thus the cost/price/profitability of those parts. Install the same machine in say, Vietnam, and you'll be able to make exactly the same part for a lot less cost.

Again, you're making things up with ZERO knowledge of the subject matter.

And I guess you believe in Bidenomics..

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

More made up stuff :-D

> Or seek alternative trading partners and delevop[sic] those markets. Oh look. BRICS.

Hehe. You never miss it. Right?

Oh look... Brazil has Brazil launches China anti-dumping probes after imports soar. (Note: Brazil is the "B" in BRICS).

Oh look... India initiates anti-dumping probe into import of a chemical from China. (Note: India is the "I" in BRICS).

Oh Look... South Africa recommends anti-dumping duties against Chinese imports. (Note: South Africa is the "S" in BRICS).

Good job Eel.

Re: More made up stuff :-D

Oh look... India initiates anti-dumping probe into import of a chemical from China.

I'm sure you're a trade expert and can tell me exactly how many claims of this type India might be investigating. Because an unnamed Indian business (Union Carbide?) thinks their production of a single sulphur allotrope is being undercut by both China, and Japan. And as they're all investigations, the competition authorities may find no case to answer. Plus of course we're lobbying the BRICS members hard to reduce trade with Russia and China, and buy from us instead. Because our trade balance is very imbalanced, and worsening as our energy costs increase and we de-industrialise.

But congratulations, you can search! But much like an AI, you can't comprehend..

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

You know these humorour little sidekick movies characters who get punched in the face and always come back for more? Like Danny Devito?

So you want more from India? First three results on google. Good for you?

1 - India initiates anti-dumping probe into import of aluminum foil from China (two weeks ago).

2 - India initiates anti-dumping probe into imports of solar glass from China (two weeks ago)..

3 - Anti-dumping probe initiated on saccharin imports from China (two months ago).

Long story short, the BRICS are like everybody else, they don't like to see China exporting their social problems. If the CCP manages to get their workers work 6 days a week from 9am to 9pm (the 9-9-6) for misery wages, with virtually no pension scheme, little health insurance, zero environmental protection, that's their problem. Nobody, else's. Not OECD countries, and not the BRICS either. A 12 year old can understand that.

Said otherwise, you made up an ideological argument on the spot, with no factual basis, and you were wrong. Again. Will you come for more Danny Eel?

You know these humorour little sidekick movies characters who get punched in the face and always come back for more? Like Danny Devito?

I'm sure punching people in the face if they disagree with you appeals to your sense of decency and fair play. See also those 'fiery but mostly peaceful protests' when the Dem's useful idiots tried to get Trump out of the Whitehouse. Can't rememeber how many LEO's got punched in the face by antifa and co during that one.

Long story short, the BRICS are like everybody else, they don't like to see China exporting their social problems

BRICS doesn't like the West exporting or social problems either, hence it became a thing. Trade disputes happen, just like I said. So you hit the search engines again and produced more 'evidence'. But instead you could just have gone to something like the DFT.. I mean after a load of name changes, DBT. Then found the TRA, who handle trade disputes. Then you could have found this-

https://www.trade-remedies.service.gov.uk/public/cases/

Which gives you a list of all open cases. Including a review of anti-dumping of PVC from the US. Well, politicians and ministers have to get their clothing from somewhere. You'll see steel, plus stuff like ceramics and tableware. The UK used to have an area known as 'The Potteries', famous for making that stuff. Those gas kilns firing plates, cups, saucers etc. But thanks to energy policy and gas & other costs being very high, we don't do that any more. Oh, and of course competition from everywhere from Delft to of course China. But of course China has been exporting, well, china for centuries, as we know from history and archaeolgists finding things like wrecks or losses from China's massive and ancient trade ships. And then there's bicycles. Birmingham used to be famous for those, along with cutlery and blades. Now, it isn't and that's again down to policy and our high costs.

Remember Sheffield Forgemasters?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Forgemasters

In the late-2000s, Forgemasters made a failed attempt to acquire a 15,000 tonne forging press for manufacturing ultra-large civil nuclear components.

Which the dear'ol Labour government obstructed. Luckily, the MoD now owns the company, invested in new presses and we might actually be able to build components we might need to re-arm fortress Europe, without having to import from China or elsewhere. They have a lot of big forging presses. They'll even sell you one. They'll even sell them to Russia, but Russia makes it's own heavy engineering machinery. This is why they can churn out hundreds of tanks and AFVs a year, and we can't.

Oops.

And of course there's a Brexit angle, ie the reason given for not supporting British industry and helping get the press was the dear'ol EU's 'State Aid' rules. The EU didn't want us competing in that market, so existing EU forge operators complained to the EU. But wait, there's more-

In July 2021, the UK government announced that the MoD had launched an offer to take over the company for £2.56 million, and intended to invest a further £400 million over the next decade to support defence outputs. Investment will include a new heavy forge line and flood alleviation measures.

Hmm.. let me think. What happened in 2020? Oh, that's right, a regaining of sovereignty and an ability to JFDI. Now nationalised, UK Plc can churn out large steel (or just specialty) steel components that we'll need to fend off those pesky Russians. Or just produce the components needed for a nuclear energy investment to reduce our energy costs and become more competitive again. We could have done this a lot earlier given national security exemptions existed for state aid under the EU regime, but we didn't.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

Accuse the other side of that of which you are guilty

> I'm sure punching people in the face if they disagree with you appeals to your sense of decency and fair play.

That was figurative of course. Fact is, you keep spewing unscientific bullshit in each and every non technical domain you address: climate, economics, energy policy, cell biology, immunology, etc. You're proven wrong over and over again in a way that would be felt as humiliating and that would only prompt atonement by and from most normal people. And yet, instead, you come with more preposterous claims, even when presented with counter evidence. Just as Trump, when proven wrong, doubles down; guarding against one felony by committing another two. Can't stop digging. Thin skin, huge ego, extremely deluded and exhibiting early signs of dementia.

Remember the party of armed insurrection, the party of gerrymandering, the party of electoral list tampering, the party of the National Rifle Association, the party of collusion with foreign authoritarian regimes, the party that promises a bloodbath if its leader maximo is not elected is the... GOP.

But yes, as Goebbels once put it "Accuse the other side of that of which you are guilty."

I didn't read anything more of your logorrheic rants.

Re: Accuse the other side of that of which you are guilty

That was figurative of course. Fact is, you keep spewing unscientific bullshit in each and every non technical domain you address: climate, economics, energy policy, cell biology, immunology, etc. You're proven wrong over and over again

Nope. All you do is prove you're an anonymong troll with an unhealthy obsession in me. You prove nothing, but then you've never been able to tell the difference between facts and opinions. You believe you are right, you believe I am wrong. Your idea of rational debate is the virtual punch in the face until I accept your twisted version of reality. I suppose I should be grateful we never meet face to face, or maybe you'll give me debate as your fellow travellers gave Andy Ngo.

But fundamentally your masochism will achieve nothing. You're much like Yellen in that respect. She tells China to stop producing so much. Especially stuff like artillery shells and rockets, because the US and the entirety of the EU just can't produce. How is the West supposed to do a Yugoslavia on China, once we've dealt with Russia? It's just not fair!. So then China basically told Yellen & the US to go swivel, and it's Premier warmly welcomed Lavrov.

Oops.

But such is politics. Our fearless leaders have managed to bring two super powers closer together. Meanwhile, we waste money on AI deepfakes and misinformation. We deindustrialise, we fixate on irrelevances like 'Global Waming'. China just gets on with producing stuff people want to buy, much as it's been doing for a few thousand years.

1. Anonymous Coward
                        Anonymous Coward

Dream on, it's free

Again taking your dreams for reality. The dream of China saving Russia is a myth. You repeatedly having this dream of all enemies of the West uniting against it. This is where you came from with this story of the BRICS. It only works like this in your simplistic Manichean imagination. In reality the hyenas devour each other before they manage to get rid of the lion pride.

1. China is very much aware of secondary sanctions and Russia just can't get their payments home. Banks just don't process them. Or when they do, they do extremely slowly. This include Chinese banks. China, by the way is just a few years away of it's "Fall of the Iron Curtain" moment. If you know your Chinese history, they're always swinging between authoritarianism and anarchy. Today's emperor is isolated and mad. He takes Moutai to cure his liver just as Qin Shi Huangdi used to gulp mercury pellets to reach immortality. Xiwangmu, will soon knock Zhongnanhai's door. All we have to do is to follow Sun Tzu and "wait by the river". Then, working with and learning from a new China will be much easier.

2. Meanwhile, loosely federated Russia is justly worried about losing its Eastern possessions to voracious China. This is clearly shown in their leaked secret military doctrine: Russia planning nuclear strike to counter 'Chinese invasion' (Financial Times). The demographic imbalance on each side of the eastern border just doesn't make sense. It won't resist very long.

PS: Bombing Serbia was the right thing to do. Some people only understand force and are so racist that they will never be ashamed of committing genocide. They're still trying it in Kosovo. Unruly kids need restraining.

Re: Dream on, it's free

Bombing Serbia was the right thing to do. Some people only understand force and are so racist that they will never be ashamed of committing genocide. They're still trying it in Kosovo. Unruly kids need restraining.

Indeed. See Ukraine and Israel for more info. This time, we seem to be supporting genocide. Meanwhile, in other news, Germany is stationing soldiers in Lithuania for the first time since 1941.. Those good'ol boys from the Southern Democrats, they never change.. Oh, and I wonder if those 'leaked' documents came from the same places as the Steele Dossier? Stolen in a daring operation by the Ghost of Kiev..

1. Anonymous Coward
                            Anonymous Coward

> Oh, and I wonder if those 'leaked' documents came from the same places as the Steele Dossier? Stolen in a daring operation by the Ghost of Kiev.

Hehe... no need to steal anything...defectors always make sure they take some gifts along with them when they knock NATO's door. Very convenient to corroborate elint and sigint. That's the problem when you govern by the sword: loyalty is not 100% guaranteed.

That's the problem when you govern by the sword: loyalty is not 100% guaranteed.

Indeed. Hence why so many Ukrainians are surrendering to Russia rather than being fed into the meat grinder by the Kiev regime. Or why Russia is getting valuable tips from people who don't want to fight to the last Ukrainian, as our leaders insist. Meanwhile, useful idiots will dutifully report claims of destroyed aircraft at Russian airbases, despite there being zero evidence. Propaganda is a powerful tool, especially when Dem supporters have been preconditioned to believe anything.

1. Anonymous Coward
                                Anonymous Coward

Yes and mice surrender to cats, sheep to wolves, frogs to storks. That stuff you're smoking is strong. Mentioning propaganda and useful idiots in that post is masterclass. Congrats.

2. Anonymous Coward
                        Anonymous Coward

> Our fearless leaders have managed to bring two super powers closer together.

I can tell you haven't spoken to Chinese people who have visited Russia. They have tons of stories to share. Tales of constant harassment, racist abuse, frequent swindles, corrupt policemen, immigration ordeals, etc. Even by Chinese standards, this is unacceptable. Good luck with that "eternal brotherhood" narrative.

All what China wants is to sell their stuff and buy the commodities and raw material. For now. Then, when the Russian Federation implodes, you will see them "extend" more "friendship". LOL.

I can tell you haven't spoken to Chinese people who have visited Russia.

No need. Just look at tourism figures. They're still visiting in droves. Could this again be crude propaganda? Then again, Russians are more used to seeing Chinese looking people on account of it being rather huge and a big chunk of it being in Asia, and right next to China.

Tales of constant harassment, racist abuse, frequent swindles, corrupt policemen, immigration ordeals, etc.

Projecting again. Think you're confusing Russia with Urkraine. The civil war started because their regime started harrassing ethnic Russians, then expanded to ethnic cleansing and sending snatch squads to 'recruit' people for their meat grinder. Especially when a lot of that 'recruiting' happens in areas with ethnic Russian, Romanian & Hungarian populations. If you're wealthy enough, you can bribe police or border guards to emigrate, if you're not, it's a a couple of weeks training and straight to the trenches. And then there's accounting for the billions that have been poured into Urkraine with no accountabilty. Urkraine's own TV stations have been showing what that money buys in Monaco, Vienna, London etc. John Hyansky's family business is probably booming, and his investment in the Bidens certainly seems to have paid off.

All what China wants is to sell their stuff and buy the commodities and raw material. For now. Then, when the Russian Federation implodes, you will see them "extend" more "friendship". LOL.

Yes, well, they're not allowed to. Or only allowed to on our terms. See Yellen's trip for more info. Imploding Russia hasn't exactly worked the way our masters intended, and instead it's the EU that's imploding. This is probably by design given closer economic ties between the EU and Russia would have been rather harmful to the hegemony, especially with China added to the mix. But when the US federation implodes in November, maybe the rest of the world can get back to business.

1. Anonymous Coward
                            Anonymous Coward

The rules or propaganda.

Real life examples in this thread.

Rule #1: Accuse others of what you're guilty of. In this way, you don't have to defend. The accusing party is now on the back foot.

Rule #2: When you're proven wrong and one of your lies is debunked. Double down. Repeat it and add 9 more lies. In this way, the accusing party is overwhelmed and must let 9 lies go unanswered.

Rule #3: When you're running out of arguments on a given topic, just jump to other unrelated and irrelevant topics. Your critics will be unable to address everything you throw at them.

Rule #3 applies to this particular "response". The other rules apply to previous "responses".

The only issue is that, when applying these rules, you look like the proverbial pigeon on the chessboard: "Never play chess with a pigeon. The pigeon just knocks all the pieces over. Then shits all over the board. Then struts around like it won.”

Re: The rules of attraction.

Rule #1: Accuse others of what you're guilty of.

Yep. This would be projection. You still can't see that one, can you? See also mirroring, which you have a blind spot for as well. Hmm.. do you like garlic?

Rule #2: When you're proven wrong and one of your lies is debunked. Double down.

Yep. Figured out the relationship between cost, price, inflation yet? See also Rule #1..

Rule #3: When you're running out of arguments on a given topic, just jump to other unrelated and irrelevant topics.

Yep. Exactly what you've been doing here with your ominslurs. Or just trying to make up your own rules, and of course those rules don't apply to you, dear troll..

Then shits all over the board. Then struts around like it won.

Yep, again exactly what you've been doing on this discussion board, and the previous one. Sadly, El Reg's 'moderators' don't seem to care about the constant stream of insults from an anonymong who's too much of a coward to be attributed..

1. Anonymous Coward
                                Anonymous Coward

So that was Rule #1 all over. Cornered?

So that was Rule #1 all over. Cornered?

Nope. I refer you back to where you came in..

That was figurative of course. Fact is, you keep spewing unscientific bullshit in each and every non technical domain you address: climate, economics, energy policy, cell biology, immunology, etc. You're proven wrong over and over again

again demonstrating you're incapable of following your own rules, let alone this forums. Have you ever actually contributed anything useful, or even relevant to any discussion on El Reg? Without attibution, it's rather difficult to figure out if you contribute, or if you exist here purely to troll. Again demostrating why libtards such as yourself are incapable of rational debate, and instead resort to insults and virtual face punching.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> And I guess you believe in Bidenomics..

So, you really insist on displaying your ignorance of the current economical situation in the US?

Guess what, nearly 4 years in and the economy is roaring on this side of the pond. Even FOX news has to agree US economy adds 303K jobs in March, much stronger than expected. Sorry if that does not fit your narrative.

But wait, there's more. The economy is roaring. Immigration is a key reason. (WaPo).

That should also tell you that Brexit was a big mistake.

You wanted it? Now, you have it! So eat it!

11. gandalfcn Silver badge

Seems the commemts are full of MAGAts and Christofascists.

Seems the commemts are full of MAGAts and Christofascists.

Didn't you get the memo? El Reg is now a support group for TDS sufferers such as yourself. Luckily it seems you've already found your way here though.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This TDS thing is yet another hilarious oddity of our troubled times.

The first time I came across the acronym "TDS", a quick google look up yielded "Trump Derangement Syndrome". Fair enough, I thought, we all know he is deranged. I mean, when he was younger, he was only dishonest, pervert, corrupt, ruthless, unscrupulous, and stupid. But now, he clearly also has dementia. So "deranged", he is indeed.

Then it dawned on me that TDS was actually applied by Trump's minions to his critics. Ironic isn't it? But then, when right is left, black is white, and truth is falsity, why not?

So let me correct this. El Reg, as many other leading specialized technical forums, cannot avoid being also frequented by a fringe of disgruntled weirdos suffering from their own personal failure denial syndrome.

Typical profiles initiate their intellectual decline with some traumatizing personal event, known to themselves only, for which they fail to acknowledge their own responsibility and which they blame back on "the system". Their feeling of personal humiliation is so deep that they feel it can only be repaired by a complete annihilation of "the system" itself. They're in permanent revenge mode. From now on, they will peruse the news every hour, trying to detect the early things of the destruction of Babylon. If it doesn't come early enough, then they will spend incommensurate amounts of times and resources to help bring it down. As a result they will fight whatever sound people hold as true: e.g. climate change, pandemic seriousness, benefits of masks, effectiveness of vaccines, economic world order. etc. etc. This is, in a few words how some people become contrarians. The deeper the personal wound, the more obsessive the engagement. It's a nihilist attitude: "If I don't get the share of the pie I believe I'm entitled to, then nobody will get their own share either". Quite a few examples of these profiles haunt this forum.

In normal times, these profiles exit the scene relatively fast (you know, biology is a bitch) and are not sufficiently numerous to threaten the solidity of our society. They just take thei anger to the grave with them. During uncertain times, however, their number increases and they can become a hindrance to progress. This is what the UK did experience with Brexit and the USA with Trumpism. In both cases, the party will be laminated by voters at some point.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like