back to article PCIe 7.0 first official draft lands, doubling bandwidth yet again

The PCIe 7.0 spec is on track for release next year and, for many AI chip peddlers trying to push the limits of network fabrics and accelerator meshes, it can't come soon enough. On Tuesday the PCI SIG consortium that steers the interface's development emitted version 0.5 of PCIe 7.0, and hailed it as the official first draft …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anybody here even have Gen5 yet? I have to scrounge around for a Gen4 system if I want to stress 200GbE.

1. Grunchy Silver badge

Hah, I’m still on PCIe 3.0 & DDR4

Personally I don’t go beyond 3D assemblies of 200 parts or so, or a few million vertices for FEA meshes. I find I haven’t been limited by lack of computational resources or speed since 2017 or so (I still have my Ryzen x1800 as a matter of fact).

Furthermore: once I got a good RS232 adapter for the C64 and maxed out my 2400 baud Cardinal modem, honestly everything since then is just more gravy.

1. Binraider Silver badge

Re: Hah, I’m still on PCIe 3.0 & DDR4

Regarding FEA, I am inclined to agree; my problems there mostly revolve around RAM quantity and memory bus speed. The moment I have to start swapping to some device over PCIe the timeframe to solve stuff moves from hours to days; which is to say throwing more RAM at the problem and/or minimising the size of models is way more useful than worrying about storage connectivity.

It is also why I am marginally curious as to what a system with a LOT of SRAM could do, if such a thing were to be readily available. Meg-for-meg, obviously more expensive than DRAM. Probable benefits on both power consumption and speed; software-willing of course.

I wasn't much of a fan of Optane; though near zero latency might have made an interesting option for large FEA models (perhaps if the tech hadn't been keyed to specific RAM frequencies it would have not died).

On the C64 front I have one of those 1541+ Ultimate II's. Not even remotely explored the capabilities...

2. Jumbotron64
        Pint

Re: Hah, I’m still on PCIe 3.0 & DDR4

Have this icon on me mate for mentioning Cardinal modems. I sold those back in the day.

2. katrinab Silver badge
      Windows

Indeed. Intel were still on Gen 3 not that long ago.

3. User McUser
      Thumb Up

My gaming PC's motherboard has the slots, but only my NVMe SSD is v5 - GPU is still v4 sadly.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

No mention of the cost

but it is faster so who cares eh?

As has been said, getting Gen5 kit is still a problem. You have to dig down deep into the specs to find the real version of the PCI interface. I expect that there is lots of Gen4 kit in warehouses that will remain unsold and get sent to landfill by the end of the year with the Gen5 kit to follow in 2025.

I expect that anything beyond Gen5 will be banned for export to China (which will be where most of it is made pretty soon).

I can remember having to get s supercomputer license to take a 200MHz processor to Kazakhstan for a trade show.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Meh

Re: No mention of the cost

"As has been said, getting Gen5 kit is still a problem."

Can't say I have had any problems with getting Gen5 kit from both HPE or Dell.

3. Tubz Silver badge

At this rate, machines will just have one big fat PCIe bus and a "Sir Topham Hatt" doing management/QOS and you won't have to worry about how many lanes a device is getting, just use the nifty firmware interface to configure. Just think of all those NVMe, GPUs, NPUs and CXL memory expansions playing nicely together.

4. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

What's the point except bragging rights?

For your avg consumer, PCI-E 3 & 4 are more than they will ever need in the next 10yrs. I mean we've only just started saturating PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth with higher end GPU's in the last couple of years.

If they put as much effort into producing large capacity storage on 3 & 4... I'd actually be interested in buying something... But an 8TB NVME for 1k... fuck that.

I honestly can't fathom (maybe some one could enlighten me) why they never released a 3.5" SSD crammed full of storage. They did some SSHDD hybrids... Seems like a missed opportunity to me... or rather why bother selling large capacity drives when people have to keep buying smaller ones.

I'd love to replace some of my older drives in my mediaserver for SSD... Most of them are 8tb with a few 14TB in the mix... If I could get a few 20tb ssd in a 3.5" chassis at a reasonable price... only needs to be SATAIII for serving up 4k media and so forth.. I'd buy them right now.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Re: What's the point except bragging rights?

3.5" SSDs do exist - https://nimbusdata.com/products/exadrive/.

They're just expensive and a very much brute force solution.

Oh, and when they released it in 2020, it cost $40k.

1. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

40k... well... double fuck that. :)

I suspect that's enterprise stuff for data centres.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

The core problem is that there's no advance in technology, just an absolute buttload of chips shotgunned into a 3.5" case, which is where the cost comes from.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like