back to article Hong Kong promises its latest national security law is not a ban on social media

On Tuesday, Hong Kong's legislature unanimously passed the city's latest controversial national security legislation, otherwise known as Article 23. Critics are calling the law rushed and fast-tracked, as it was passed within eleven days of introduction. However, it's been two decades in the making. A similar bill was met with …

1. Sora2566 Bronze badge

Woooooo

Another glorious victory for the Motherland. Down with freedom.

(Please imagine I am speaking in the least enthusiastic voice imaginable).

2. ChoHag Silver badge

The law which mandates popular support and punishes disagreement with excessive jail times is vastly popular and nobody disagrees with it.

3. Khaptain Silver badge

Coming to a town near you

I wonder how long before all democratic countries will have the same level of "protection".

It seems that every day we too are moving closer to the same wonderful dystopia.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: Coming to a town near you

The west complains vociferously about China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, while falling over itself in the rush to criminalise those who are aggrieved at what Israel is doing to Palestinians.

I don't feel at all comfortable being told that expressing the view that "it is okay to kill innocent people" is free speech, is essential and must be tolerated in a democracy.

I much prefer the times when we not only rejected people who spread such sentiments, but did something about those who did.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Coming to a town near you

What you are really saying is that you would be happy for the suppression of opinions that you don't agree with, similar to what can be expected from most dictatorships. Isn't that now considered as a very far right way of thinking.

State your opinion, let other state theirs and then allow everyone else to decide for themselves. Wouldn't that be a far more tolerant and inclusive method (to use woke language).

4. PhilipN Silver badge

"The UK, Hong Kong's former colonial ruler.."

..which in a century and a half never saw fit to introduce democracy. Although they did introduce some of the laws under which various prosecutions are in process - including Jimmy Lai.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "The UK, Hong Kong's former colonial ruler.."

The democracy you seem to believe was introduced by China was actually introduced under Chris Patton, the last British governor, to much protest from the Chinese government. The legislative council he devised was taken apart by the Chinese, replaced with an unelected council, and then later replaced with a near-powerless body, loosely modelled on Patton's previous legislature, that only served the interests of China and not the people of Hong Kong. The fact that so many people have migrated from Hong Kong to the UK in the intervening years is a good sign that they preferred what came before than the "democratic" place it has become now.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Re: "The UK, Hong Kong's former colonial ruler.."

I know it’s painful to confront the UK’s imperial and imperialistic history so you change the subject but have no clue how long the Legislative Council existed, who created it or its make-up following Patten’s disastrous tenure.

5. Evil Auditor Silver badge

I believe you got the title wrong...

Hong KongChina promises its latest national security law is not a ban on social media

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like