back to article Desktop GPU shipments jumped by a third – no thanks to AI PCs

Shipments of consumer-grade GPUs are growing strongly, according to graphics-focused analyst firm Jon Peddie Research, but probably not due to the emergence of generative AI or the so-called AI PC. The firm's latest report found GPU shipments grew 32 percent year over year in the fourth quarter of 2023 to 9.5 million units, …

1. Ace2 Silver badge

The craptominer collapse fixed the supply chain, and now you don’t have to pay $200 for a ten year old GPU with 2GB of VRAM. So people are willing to buy again! Go figure.

1. GraXXoR

Crypto (bitcoin at least) is unfortunately booming again so I wouldn't be surprised if we see cards going up in price again...

1. katrinab Silver badge

Yes, but Etherium, where most GPU mining was targeted at, is now proof of stake.

2. unaware

Could the AMD uptick have to do with the state of NVIDIA drivers/support on Linux ?

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Stop

I doubt it. As it says in the article, AMD's mid range cards are actually quite decent and competitively priced. If you're not locked into needing NVIDIA (for example having a GSync Monitor) and your aiming to purchase a mid market card, then AMD is actually the better value purchase.

I can only imagine Linux support has a minor effect at best...

2. GraXXoR

What percentage of consumers purchasing consumer cards actually uses linux, tho?

Is it even double digit percentage wise?

I imagine the linux driver debacle would barely nudge the overall meter.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like