back to article Nginx web server forked as Freenginx to escape corporate overlords

Russian developer Maxim Dounin has announced a new fork of the Nginx web server and caching proxy, aimed at avoiding the corporate control of owner F5. US networking vendor F5 acquired Russian web server Nginx for $670 million in 2019. Some of F5's decisions, such as the recent disclosure of CVE-2024-24989, have not gone down …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

West Good, Russia Bad

West Good, Russia Bad

Thats all you need to know to pick a side on this and other disputes

Carry on

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: West Good, Russia Bad

Russia is bad. West may or may not be good, but Russia as a country is definitely bad.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. VicMortimer Silver badge

Exactly.

Russia is a problem. Everybody sane knows Russia is a problem. Attempted genocide isn't something that good countries do.

(Looking at you too, Israel.)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Don't confuse governments with people .... you don't get to choose where you are born.

And equally don't confuse religion with countries and governments .... most often you don't get to choose your religion either

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Don't confuse governments with people .... you don't get to choose where you are born.

At what point does the Populace become responsible for the actions of the State? The people have the ability, some might say the obligation, to rise up and remove the government at a certain point. If they don't, do they implicitly agree that the State is doing their will?

1. claimed Silver badge

Strategically possible when soldiers are using swords and population are stacked farmers… try that shit in any developed nation and its wagons to the cemetery. Including in the “I’ve got my own gun” USA

2. LionelB Silver badge

> At what point does the Populace become responsible for the actions of the State?

At the point when they have a say in the composition of the state.

> The people have the ability ... to rise up and remove the government at a certain point.

See above.

> If they don't, do they implicitly agree that the State is doing their will?

I don't know... maybe ask Alexei Navalny's widow.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

No effing way you're going to pin brexit, or the tories on me!

4. dcuk

I have no ability to remove my government, and I'm in a 'civilised' society.

I certainly have no agreement that they are doing 'my will'...

2. Tubz Silver badge

Lets be honest, important stuff like freennginx should be registered in a country like Switzerland, so it remains free from corporate and government interfferrence.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

How do you go about registering a FOSS product in a country? His complaints about Nginx and Angle was that they were owned by companies which did have a geographical location. Some products are overseen by foundations and there might be an issue with where the foundation is registered but otherwise FOSS is a citizen of the world. I grant you that may irk some people and governments.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: important stuff like freennginx should be registered in a country like Switzerland

Yeah, right, because what the Swiss have done with Crypto AG and other backdoor equipped software products was such a stellar success.

Switzerland is only a neutral country in a world of myths, while in reality it's as bad as any western nation, and always has been.

1. Zola

Re: important stuff like freennginx should be registered in a country like Switzerland

Switzerland is only a neutral country in a world of myths, while in reality it's as bad as any western nation, and always has been.

Amen. Just ask Christoph Meili.

2. Anonymice

Experimental code in mainline

If you don't want the headache of CVEs & the resulting prioritized bug fixes in your experimental code, don't include that code in your mainline branch. Irrespective of the code being enabled by default or not.

nginx isn't a pet project, it's a core piece that underpins today's internet.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait, so this is due to a company being too eager to disclose a security issue?

1. Steve 53

I've also been struggling to understand this. There is publicly available code, potentially in public use, which contains a security vulnerability.

Sure the responsible thing to do is to fix it, disclose and register a CVE so that venerable systems are patched?

I don't get why *not* disclosing is in any way a good or responsible thing to do, even if it's in a section marked experimental.

Bugs happen, it shouldn't be taken personally. It's the project's obligation to handle it properly so that users don't get owned. Or you could have a shitfit, and go fork a project on the basis that you don't want to make security disclosures?

4. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Deal

Wait... They paid £253 million for something they could download for free?

Do they buy bridges by any chance?

I also could flog the land I have on Neptune...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Deal

Almost. They bought the name and rights to maintain something someone else could download for free and then fork. But the forkers have to vary the name.

1. Bebu Silver badge
        Windows

《Almost. They bought the name and rights to maintain something someone else could download for free and then fork. But the forkers have to vary the name.》

I too was wondering what F5 paid for.

Nginx is weird enough to pronounce of first sight - I thought the ng was ñ and ñingx rhymed with sphinx or jinx - any fork might have gone for EngineX which is its actual pronounciation (Musk has probably already Xpropriated it. :) Djinn[i]X might fly too.

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

For a fraction of the cost they could have created a new name and ensured it would pop up even in someone's fridge.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like