back to article Qualcomm signals its PC push will coincide with back to school sales and be tied to a Windows launch

Qualcomm's attempt to grab a slab of the PC CPU market will commence in earnest in the middle of 2024, the mobile chip shop's president and CEO Cristiano Amon told investors on Wednesday. Speaking on the Q1 2024 earnings call, Amon revealed that Snapdragon X Elite SoC – launched last year with a promise of long battery life …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Timing

If Windows 12 were releasing mid-2024, shouldn't we have heard about an insider program by now?

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Timing

It was announced almost a year ago, some special channel for "far out" stuff which everyone knew was Windows 12.

1. sev.monster Silver badge
        Windows

Re: Timing

I can't wait for existing features to be gutted, with them either replaced by half-baked "AI" new shinies and key jingles, or re-added in a poorer state than last edition 6 months after launch.

Godspeed, Windows users!

2. ldo

Windows-on-ARM ... *Yawn*

Somehow I can’t see it being a big success.

1. EvaQ

Re: Windows-on-ARM ... *Yawn*

I can: cheap and fast enough. So Core i3 performance, but then a bit cheaper.

If more expensive than an i3 laptop, I'm not a customer.

1. ldo

Re: Core i3 performance, but then a bit cheaper.

But only offering that performance for native apps. Which are precious few on the ground, because Windows software vendors don’t see the demand for them.

And customers, in their turn, don’t see the point in buying Windows ARM machines because the apps aren’t there to take advantage of them.

3. EvaQ

Windows on ARM with Snapdragon X Elite SoC ... for School-kids, and for AI?

... so what is the focus?

School-kids: must work with school stuff, no support should be needed, must be cheap, and solid,

AI ... nice gadget ... for 1% gadget freaks?

So what is it going to be, dear productmanagers? If it is again "1000+ euro per laptop, but ... great battery life and always online", like the previous try, I think it's not going to be a big success.

What is the proposition for the potential customer? Which customer's problem is it going to solve? So far I haven't heard other people saying "I want Windows on ARM on my laptop to make my life better"

1. Ideasource Bronze badge

Re: Windows on ARM with Snapdragon X Elite SoC ... for School-kids, and for AI?

Power efficiency.

Everyone wants longer battery life under moderate load.

Arm is particularly well suited for that.

1. ldo

Re: Power efficiency.

But not while running emulated x86 code. Which, let’s face it, is just about the entirety of Windows apps out there.

4. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

Check first line mentions the CEO...

Just like NK everybody has to stand and listen because the glorious leader who does nothing but is a parasite and everyone in th emedia pretend they are wonderful...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like